OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:38:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Strain of Multi-Resistant...get this...Mice!  (Read 1491 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:16 PM »

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14462733

Scientists say that some European house mice have developed resistance to the strongest poisons.

German and Spanish mice have rapidly evolved the trait by breeding with an Algerian species from which they have been separate for over a million years.

The researchers say this type of gene transfer is highly unusual and normally found in plants and bacteria.

The Current Biology report says this process could yield mice resistant to almost any form of pest control.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »

You medical types keep screwing around and we're gonna have mutants rising up to take over the planet pretty soon...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »

And we know that mice reproduce like... well... like mice. laugh (Hey, they're even better than rabbits in this regard. Grin)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:10:04 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »

You medical types keep screwing around and we're gonna have mutants rising up to take over the planet pretty soon...

Oh stop worrying...

...hello, Dr. Xavier, nice to meet you

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »

And we know that mice reproduce like... well... like mice. laugh (Hey, they're even better than rabbits in this regard. Grin)

Flies reproduce more rapidly than mice. However, those nifty fly traps have significantly diminished their numbers in urban areas. In rural areas, a combination of fly traps and vermicides added to horse pellets have worked wonders.

Maybe someone can design a better mouse trap?

I use those glue traps, Victor's Ultimate Flea Traps (which also traps mice), and those old fashioned mice traps.
Still, mice and vermin are a problem especially since they are helping to spread Lyme Disease with their tiny ticks.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:30:56 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »

Then there's the one I own. A body the size of a small rat, but a tail about 10 feet long. Grin
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »

Not if you use one of these disposable hygenic traps:

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m265

Or one of these heavy duty electrifiers:

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/electronic-mouse-trap

I wanted to get one of these electric traps but my husband refused.
He said that the zapping would wreck havoc with his radio reception.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:27:14 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:28:27 PM »

Then there's the one I own. A body the size of a small rat, but a tail about 10 feet long. Grin

What kind of mutant mouse is that?

I refuse to have rodents as pets in my home. They stink.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:29:44 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »

True with mice, not with rats.  If your pet rats stink, it is because you are to lazy to keep their cage clean.  I have raised rats for years and have found that their fur has a remarkable tendency to take on the fragrance of anything around them.  So, if you let their cage get all nasty, they will smell nasty.  Mice, on the other hand (and I have a bunch of those, too) tend to smell strongly regardless of how well they are kept.  Not a problem if you don't mind that particular odor, but a big problem if you do.  The absolute worst rodent that I have had for a pet has been a squirrel.  I called that thing Psychovermin.  Seriously, I do not recommend a squirrel as a pet.

PS - rabbits can be nice pets as they are relatively easy to "potty train".  They will use a cat box much like a cat if properly trained.  However, they are not a rodent but a lagomorph.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:47:45 AM »

Not if you use one of these disposable hygenic traps:

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m265

Nooooo!  Don't talk about mice!  I can't seem to rid my house of them!  Just when I think I got them all, I scour all the pots and pans and clean everything....there's more droppings! 

I can't use those "hygenic" traps!  They don't KILL the mouse.  So, when I get up and find that little fur ball trying to scratch it's way out ....it breaks my heart.  I did that only one time....and let me tell you, it was a pain trying to open that trap to let the thing back out!  LOL!  Seriously!  I worked for the better part of an hour before I was able to release that mouse!

I've bought a metal mouse trap a few years back, until I left it in the garage for the summer, and somehow a chipmunk found her way in to it.... let's just say it wasn't designed for such a large rodent, and when the sliding wall rotated to push the "mouse" into the secret compartment....the chipmunk went only half way, with her hind legs hanging out.  Sad  When I noticed the scratching sound....it was all I could do to release her.  She was wedged in their but good.  I noticed she was a nursing mom....and it made things even worse....all her starving babies somewhere waiting for her.  I worked to get her free, but, she only dragged her hind legs behind her.  I was hoping that they only were numb, not that her back was broken.  I would have detained her, but, I was sure she was trying to crawl her way back to her hidden pups somewhere. ...so, I let her go.

The sticky traps!  NO WAY!  Inhumane!  I was talked into using them once.  I set it up in the garage, where I knew the mice were ....and I caught a shrew not a mouse!  The poor thing was squealing in fright!  When I heard it, luckily it's nose hadn't come in contact with the sticky stuff yet...so, I slid a piece of paper under the nose.  I tried pulling it off....but, no way!  In a panic I ran through the house trying to figure out what would dissolve the glue....I ended up with nail polish remover and lighter fluid!  Almost set the thing on fire!  However, one drop of lighter fluid and the glue vanished.....that shrew just took off like Speedy Gonzalez! 

Usually the mice start coming in the house in September, this year, I think I've had 1 month mouse free.  They are already back.  I have caught one per day for the last three nights.  I'm using the old fashion snap trap.  Peanut butter pulls them in each time. 

I feel bad for them.  I think they are cute and serve a purpose, but NOT in my house!  Ewwwww! 

I wonder if their early return is an omen of a cold winter ahead.  Hmmmm.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »

HINT: It has DELL stamped on top. Wink
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley   Smiley Smiley Smiley   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley.

(Number of smileys used to circumvent the prohibition of making one word posts)  Wink

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:48:06 AM »

True with mice, not with rats.  If your pet rats stink, it is because you are to lazy to keep their cage clean.  I have raised rats for years and have found that their fur has a remarkable tendency to take on the fragrance of anything around them.  So, if you let their cage get all nasty, they will smell nasty.  Mice, on the other hand (and I have a bunch of those, too) tend to smell strongly regardless of how well they are kept.  Not a problem if you don't mind that particular odor, but a big problem if you do.  The absolute worst rodent that I have had for a pet has been a squirrel.  I called that thing Psychovermin.  Seriously, I do not recommend a squirrel as a pet.

PS - rabbits can be nice pets as they are relatively easy to "potty train".  They will use a cat box much like a cat if properly trained.  However, they are not a rodent but a lagomorph.

We have some squirrel nests in our trees. And they smell for 100 feet. The phermones in their urine are nauseating.
Yes, I raised a mouse for one week. No matter how often I changed the litter, it still stunk. It was a male. They are the worst.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:53:05 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »

Oh, one of those.  Roll Eyes
I like my ergonomical Logitech mouse with the red light.
No problem with odor. No need for an exercise wheel or litter or pellets, but sadly it does not reproduce.
I must buy a new one at least every two years it seems.

If a computer mouse were to reproduce, would we have mice or mouses?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:56:50 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 01:56:40 AM »

No problem with odor. No need for an exercise wheel or litter or pellets, but sadly it does not reproduce.

I think Mr. Jinks would call them meeces.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 03:22:32 AM »

I did not find that term "meeces" in the Oxford English Dictionary.
However, I did hear that term used in children's cartoons.  laugh

When I was studying for my Masters in Linguistics, one professor said the correct plural for a computer mouse was computer mouses, but another disagreed and called them computer mice. I guess the jury is still out on that one. Nevertheless, the computer industry seems to prefer "mice."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:28:26 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 03:39:37 AM »

I did not find that term "meeces" in the Oxford English Dictionary.
However, I did hear that term used in children's cartoons.  laugh
Yeah, I was thinking of a children's cartoon when I spoke of meeces. Hanna-Barbera's "Pixie, Dixie, and Mr. Jinks". One of Mr. Jinks's favorite lines: "I hates them meeces to pieces!" laugh (I just watched the episode where Mr. Jinks shrinks himself down to a size smaller than Pixie and Dixie.)

I remember when my family owned a quartet of female white mice, all sisters from the same litter. We named two of them Pixie and Dixie after those cartoon mice. Another of them their mother stopped eating after gnawing off most of her tail. (Yeah, momma mice will often eat a few of their babies--talk about maternal instinct. Roll Eyes) We called that one, appropriately, Stubby.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:45:00 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 03:41:13 AM »

Nooooo!  Don't talk about mice!  I can't seem to rid my house of them!  Just when I think I got them all, I scour all the pots and pans and clean everything....there's more droppings! 

I can't use those "hygenic" traps!  They don't KILL the mouse.  So, when I get up and find that little fur ball trying to scratch it's way out ....it breaks my heart.  I did that only one time....and let me tell you, it was a pain trying to open that trap to let the thing back out!  LOL!  Seriously!  I worked for the better part of an hour before I was able to release that mouse!

Liza,

I'd suggest a 4 legged mouse trap, but mine wants only to find them, drop them, watch them play dead and then scurry away - after which she chases them interminably, never catching them the second time. Her new trick is to carry them upstairs to my bedroom, to show me how proud she is - that's fun.

The catch them alive traps appeal to my tender-hearted 8 year old, but not to my mice, who decline all possible invites to use them, regardless of whether it's cheese or peanut better. Then, there's the one who lives in my kitchen and nibbles from the cat's dish - infuriating the cat, but not enough to catch and kill it (it doesn't help that the cat is too fat to get into any place small).

The sticky traps!  NO WAY!  Inhumane!

I agree - can't bring myself to use them.

Usually the mice start coming in the house in September, this year, I think I've had 1 month mouse free.  They are already back.  I have caught one per day for the last three nights. 

Do we live in the same house? That's how many my cat has caught (and released) in the same time frame. 

My thoughts as well.

Many years,

Neil (who can't get over someone's comments about the odor of squirrels, having once raised 2 orphans for 6 months and never experienced any odor issue)

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 03:42:14 AM »

My personal favorite rodent cartoon was 'Pinky and the Brain' Cheesy  - Loved that pair!

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 04:17:23 AM »

Nooooo!  Don't talk about mice!  I can't seem to rid my house of them!  Just when I think I got them all, I scour all the pots and pans and clean everything....there's more droppings!  

I can't use those "hygenic" traps!  They don't KILL the mouse.  So, when I get up and find that little fur ball trying to scratch it's way out ....it breaks my heart.  I did that only one time....and let me tell you, it was a pain trying to open that trap to let the thing back out!  LOL!  Seriously!  I worked for the better part of an hour before I was able to release that mouse!

Liza,

I'd suggest a 4 legged mouse trap, but mine wants only to find them, drop them, watch them play dead and then scurry away - after which she chases them interminably, never catching them the second time. Her new trick is to carry them upstairs to my bedroom, to show me how proud she is - that's fun.

The catch them alive traps appeal to my tender-hearted 8 year old, but not to my mice, who decline all possible invites to use them, regardless of whether it's cheese or peanut better. Then, there's the one who lives in my kitchen and nibbles from the cat's dish - infuriating the cat, but not enough to catch and kill it (it doesn't help that the cat is too fat to get into any place small).

The sticky traps!  NO WAY!  Inhumane!

Usually the mice start coming in the house in September, this year, I think I've had 1 month mouse free.  They are already back.  I have caught one per day for the last three nights.

Do we live in the same house? That's how many my cat has caught (and released) in the same time frame.  

I wonder if their early return is an omen of a cold winter ahead.  Hmmmm.

My thoughts as well.

Many years,

Neil (who can't get over someone's comments about the odor of squirrels, having once raised 2 orphans for 6 months and never experienced any odor issue)

Ah, heck, my brother's cat will just eat the mice, and any other squirrel, rat, or sparrow he can catch. The cat's also a bit of an ***hole. No wonder my brother calls him Stryker, or sometimes just ***hole.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:21:00 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 04:33:36 AM »

Dearest Neil,

Note: in cages, you can clean out the litter daily. However, the tree squirrel gnaws 1/2 inch to 1 inch branches and uses these to construct a tight nest about two to four FEET in diameter which they line with leaves serving as litter. Since they do not change this litter, but simply add to it, whenever it rains, the odor is simply awful, and everywhere present within 100 feet of their nest.

This year, we had abundant rain almost every week, and the odor was just beginning to abate as the dry season was beginning. However, we have had a shift in our weather pattern and are now experiencing the Arizona monsoon: humidity and moisture. So it stinks mightily outside.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 04:37:12 AM »

Nooooo!  Don't talk about mice!  I can't seem to rid my house of them!  Just when I think I got them all, I scour all the pots and pans and clean everything....there's more droppings!  

I can't use those "hygenic" traps!  They don't KILL the mouse.  So, when I get up and find that little fur ball trying to scratch it's way out ....it breaks my heart.  I did that only one time....and let me tell you, it was a pain trying to open that trap to let the thing back out!  LOL!  Seriously!  I worked for the better part of an hour before I was able to release that mouse!

Liza,

The sticky traps!  NO WAY!  Inhumane!

Usually the mice start coming in the house in September, this year, I think I've had 1 month mouse free.  They are already back.  I have caught one per day for the last three nights.

I wonder if their early return is an omen of a cold winter ahead.  Hmmmm.

My thoughts as well.

Many years,

Ah, heck, my brother's cat will just eat the mice, and any other squirrel, rat, or sparrow he can catch. The cat's also a bit of an ***hole. No wonder my brother calls him Stryker, or sometimes just ***hole.

We named our cat, Tux, as he looked like a arrogant lawyer wearing a tuxedo.
He hated certain brands of cat food and would turn up his nose and stare at us in disgust if he were presented with such.
However, he was an excellent mouse eater, but always left the huge grey Norway rats as presents on our door mat.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:40:41 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 08:15:02 AM »

Oh stop worrying...

Be afraid, be very afraid.  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCoDf44oCE

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »

Liza,

The sticky traps!  NO WAY!  Inhumane!

Usually the mice start coming in the house in September, this year, I think I've had 1 month mouse free.  They are already back.  I have caught one per day for the last three nights. 

My thoughts as well.

Many years,

If cartoons have taught me anything it's that cats need an arsenal of frying pans, small explosives, shotguns, and possibly nuclear launch codes to even come close to being effective mouse traps.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 11:24:12 PM »

If cartoons have taught me anything it's that cats need an arsenal of frying pans, small explosives, shotguns, and possibly nuclear launch codes to even come close to being effective mouse traps.

Cats like to play with their prey.
Sometimes the mice get away; sometimes they don't.

However, coyotes are apparently better at catching mice and rats than cats.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »

Can you house train a coyote?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »

Oh stop worrying...

Be afraid, be very afraid.  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCoDf44oCE

I cannot wait to watch that movie.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 12:40:56 AM »

Coyotes are also pretty good at catching cats.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 01:23:59 AM »

Coyotes are also pretty good at catching cats.

Coyotes are excellent at controlling and catching jack rabbits and cotton tails too.
We have cotton tails being stalked and captured by bobcats, coyotes, and red foxes on our property.
I have noticed less mice and rats too.

Coyotes do not make good pets from what I have learned.
Even a dog-coyote mix cannot be trusted.
My husband knew a man whose bitch got pregnant by a coyote.
He kept one of the offspring which turned out to be an excellent guard dog, so he was kept at the place of business (an auto parts store). I was told that they have never had a robbery since that dog came on the premises. He did not look like a coyote, but he was not your friendly family dog.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:29:56 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »

My husband knew a man whose bitch got pregnant by a coyote.

I am so evil  Angry  The first thing that came to mind was that the man's girlfriend was stepping out on him with a guy that makes his living running illegal aliens across the border.  I see it has been too long since my last confession . . .

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »

I don't know about coyotes, but my greyhound was quite the mouser in his day.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »

I don't know about coyotes, but my greyhound was quite the mouser in his day.

Some of the small fox-like dogs are also excellent mousers. For example, the fox terrier.

My neighbor had a fox terrier, and the gophers were quickly dispatched.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:37:30 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags: evolution 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: