OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 08:08:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian musicians create show in honor of the Dormition  (Read 301 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »

The new show Kimisis- Falling Asleep is set to open at the Peacock Theatre in Tasmania, Australia. The unique presentation deals with the Orthodox Christian feast which commemorates the death and ascension into Heaven of the Virgin Mary.

From the article:
The intimate 15-minute performance is sung in ecclesiastical Greek and can be viewed by only 32 people at once, with audience members seated in cubicles inspired by Port Arthur's panopticon cells.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »

The thought of a major feast of the Church being turned into an opera or stage show fills me with dread and horror. The Antipodean members of this forum might remember the justified furore (raised not only by Orthodox folks, but by RCs and traditional Anglicans) in 1998 over the use of a modified icon of the Mother of God as the official promotional poster of the Adelaide Festival of Arts.

Is nothing sacred? Is it proper for a feast of the church to be turned into "popular entertainment"? As if Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar weren't bad enough ....
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »

My initial reaction was to hope that this art might serve to introduce Orthodoxy to those unfamiliar with our faith. It is sad how few in the west know about Orthodoxy.

I cannot link to it, but the performance can be found on YouTube.

Although It's beautiful in a way, I don't think Western music form is the best way to capture our Orthodox spirituality; and I am not sure this is how our Panaghia would wish to be commemorated.

"Who touches, is also touched"
Tags: Hobart  Tasmania  Australia  avant garde  music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: