OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:18:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally attended an Orthodox service...  (Read 1130 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 10, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »

Cant believe I just now got around to it.  Ive been studying for months and asking so many questions on here, yet I had never been!  It was a Supplication of the Theotokos service.  I will be going to the DL at the same place on Monday.  Only problem was that it was mostly in Greek, so I coundnt understand. Ha! Im going to check out an OCA church too, so hopefully I will be able to follow along better there!

I loved it though.  Certainly refreshing!  I didnt know it was normal to kiss the priests hand.  When I was introduced to the priest by some very welcoming members, I just reached out to shake is hand while he tried to bless me.  It was slightly awkward, but we talked for a while and ended up emailing back and forth where he recommended some reading and answered a couple questions about the service. 

I did kiss his hand at the end of the service while he was holding the cross for everyone to venerate.  I didnt know it was normal, but saw everyone doing it so I did too in an attempt to not be disrespectful.  Then, I started to worry myself by saying "What if they werent kissing his hand?? What if it just looked like they were?? What if I freaked the priest out by kissing his hand when it wasnt appropriate?? Ha.  Did I make a mistake?  Or am I just worrying myself?

Anyways, it was great and I cant wait to go back!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:03:38 AM »

When I was introduced to the priest by some very welcoming members, I just reached out to shake is hand while he tried to bless me.  It was slightly awkward

LOL! You aren't the first person to do that as I have as well when I was inquiring.

I did kiss his hand at the end of the service while he was holding the cross for everyone to venerate.  I didnt know it was normal, but saw everyone doing it so I did too in an attempt to not be disrespectful.  Then, I started to worry myself by saying "What if they werent kissing his hand?? What if it just looked like they were?? What if I freaked the priest out by kissing his hand when it wasnt appropriate?? Ha.  Did I make a mistake?  Or am I just worrying myself?

You're just worrying a bit too much. It seems like the place you went to was a very welcoming church. If they know you aren't Orthodox then making small mistakes and having slightly awkward moments is not a big deal. I think nearly every person in the conversion process has those moments. It's fine. Have a good laugh at yourself and just watch what everyone else does. Also, don't be shy with questions. As a catachumen, I usually find something to ask my priest about every week or two. (I.e., "Ok, father, why do we do this during the service?")

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:05:15 AM »

Don't worry about it Smiley 

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »

Enjoy.

Just do not do what I did.

I was attending a Divine Liturgy, and it was not my first time as I had been attending for at least three months.
Anyhow, during the Nicene Creed, where the people pray, "and in the Holy Spirit who proceeds from the Father" I inserted rather loudly, "and the Son" while everyone else was taking a breath. Boy, was my face red, and the priest looked at me with a puzzled expression.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:50 AM »

Anyhow, during the Nicene Creed, where the people pray, "and in the Holy Spirit who proceeds from the Father" I inserted rather loudly, "and the Son" while everyone else was taking a breath. Boy, was my face red, and the priest looked at me with a puzzled expression.

That's got to be the best breach of protocol possible.
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »

I'm happy that you had a wonderful first experience at an Orthodox parish. I hope you continue to have more wonderful experiences that will hopefully lead you to be a part of the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.

Also, semi-off topic/semi-on topic, this thread is a great source of comedy, at least for me while currently half asleep.

Nicholas.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:40:56 AM by Stephanos Nikolaos » Logged

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 12:46:25 AM »

Yeah, when I walked into one of the largest cathedrals in Russia to meet with a priest from a very respected family of clergy and gave Fr. Andrey a nice handshake, I got some looks, too.  laugh

It's wonderful that you had such a fulfilling experience. No one is judging you negatively in the church for what you dont know, I'm sure. Where are you located, out of curiosity?

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:08 AM »

I don't think anyone has outright said it yet, but yes, they were kissing his hand.  So you didn't make a huge breach of protocol! Glad you enjoyed the service.  Monday's Divine Liturgy will be a festal liturgy, for the Dormition of the Theotokos (assuming it's a new calendar church). 

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:29:27 AM »

Cant believe I just now got around to it.  Ive been studying for months and asking so many questions on here, yet I had never been!  It was a Supplication of the Theotokos service.  I will be going to the DL at the same place on Monday.  Only problem was that it was mostly in Greek, so I coundnt understand. Ha! Im going to check out an OCA church too, so hopefully I will be able to follow along better there!

I loved it though.  Certainly refreshing!  I didnt know it was normal to kiss the priests hand.  When I was introduced to the priest by some very welcoming members, I just reached out to shake is hand while he tried to bless me.  It was slightly awkward, but we talked for a while and ended up emailing back and forth where he recommended some reading and answered a couple questions about the service. 

Are your Liturgy books in Greek and English?  I do not know Greek, but there are a couple parts where our priest launches into Greek.  In that case I just try to follow along in English.
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »

Enjoy.

I was attending a Divine Liturgy, and it was not my first time as I had been attending for at least three months.

Oh boy....Smiley    You know, I have to remember that myself!

One problem I have is that our parish says the Nicene Creed in English, and I have it memorized only in Latin (when I was a Traditional RC I was taught all the prayers in Latin, not English). I know the Lord's Prayer in Englsh only because its such a widely known and said prayer in America, by all types of Christians.

Anyway, I have to read the Nicene Creed, I can't do it from memory or else I end up saying it in Latin while everyone is saying it in English. I suppose I could mentally translate from the Latin to English but then I'd be a few seconds behind everyone else.  Cheesy

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »

It's wonderful that you had such a fulfilling experience. No one is judging you negatively in the church for what you dont know, I'm sure. Where are you located, out of curiosity?

I've had the experience of some priests (and even a bishop) extending their hand for a handshake so I simultaneously try to kiss their hand and shake it. It's awkward but nobody cares.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »

Talking about beach of protocol, I was so happy to see my priest back from a trip that I just gave him a great big hug--this at coffee hour in front of everybody.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »

Enjoy.

Hahaha

Silly Stars
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:00:26 AM »

I think that the converts have breached protocol at least a few times! Don't sweat it! I'm sure the priest won't. Re: the kissing the hand and the cross, don't worry too much about it. I made the same mistake and while he looked amused at the moment, I brought it up the next week and the priest didn't even remember that I had hesistated. It seems like such a big thing to us, but we're learning. We'll make a few mistakes here and there.

And plus, if you get to know a priest well, you can talk about the kissing of the hand. My husband is white bread American and he is not used to that custom at all. The Greeks kiss not only the priest, but each other ALL the time, so he's constantly surprised by the Greek women coming up to him and planting kisses on his cheek.

My priest assured him that it was okay for him not to kiss his hand if he wasn't comfortable with it yet. He's working on it.

And being so used to the Catholic Apostles Creed, I have definitely been this close to saying "and the Son" more times than I can count!  Shocked

I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you will return to the Orthodox Church for many more.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »

Just follow what is going on in the local church and don't worry about whether you make a mistake.  Wisdom comes with experience.

Usually in our parish, at the end of the liturgy, we go up to kiss the cross and sometimes we also kiss the priest on the mouth/cheek.  (He is a native son of Ukraine and also rather elderly, and we view him almost as another grandfather to us.  We are usually in the line behind his own toddler grandchildren and they usually get picked up to kiss the cross and to give him a hug after liturgy.  Our church is really like a big family, which is great for us, being strangers in this city.)  At other times, meeting him elsewhere, it is not unusual simply to greet with a good, firm handshake. 

When we were visiting a monastery, the custom there was clearly to kiss the cross and then the priest's hand, so that's what we did.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »

I remember the first time I went to a liturgy. When it was my turn to venerate the cross I was unsure what to do so I just stood there in front of the priest for a few seconds. He had to raise the cross up in front of me before I got the idea.  Cheesy

Anyway, I am happy that you had a good experience  Smiley   

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »

Enjoy.

Oh I can just imagine the thoughts of the priest. "Oh no, we are being infiltrated by papists" Wink

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »

Enjoy.

Oh I can just imagine the thoughts of the priest. "Oh no, we are being infiltrated by papists" Wink

Even better, a few weeks back, I attended an RC wedding mass, and a small group of people stumbled through all of "For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever, Amen." Many turned heads. I have yet to see this in an OC.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »

And now I realize that we've semi-hijacked this thread with church blooper stories. Sorry.

Above all else, congrats again, and it's really good that you reached out to the priest so early. This is the most important tie to establish, IMO, as it can stop us from floating around churches indiscriminately, never really digging in too deep. Please let us know how it all progresses.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:43:36 PM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 01:49:10 PM »

Enjoy.

Nah, he was probably delighted that they were returning to the One True Church.

Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »

Enjoy.

The first few times I went to an Orthodox liturgy, I almost said that part. I'd say "And-" but then I'd stop myself. Now, I make a point of picking up the card that has the Creed on it, even though I know it by now. It just helps.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I am looking forward to attending again!

I laughed when I read this...

I am going to try extra hard not to make that mistake. It shouldnt be a problem since I come from a tradition that doesnt even know what the creed is! Honestly, I dont even have it memorized....

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »

and when i say i laughed... i meant i laughed WITH you, not AT you! im sure ill do plenty more stupid things on my journey....

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »

Enjoy.

The first few times I went to an Orthodox liturgy, I almost said that part. I'd say "And-" but then I'd stop myself. Now, I make a point of picking up the card that has the Creed on it, even though I know it by now. It just helps.   Smiley

:laugh:I thought I was the only one picking up the laminated card for that same reason!

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »

Enjoy.

:laugh:I thought I was the only one picking up the laminated card for that same reason!

I use the laminated card or service book as I visit different churches in the area occasionally. Each one has a slightly different rendition of the Nicene Creed. There is the Narthex Press edition, the Holy Cross edition, the OCA version, and two Antiochian version (one with spake in it). Romanians and Serbians also have their own translations.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: