OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 07:18:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arabic Mary Magdalene Icon  (Read 3694 times) Average Rating: 0
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« on: July 13, 2004, 12:01:20 PM »

Sebah al khair, ya azdika'i =)  I have a question that maybe some Arabic-speaking friends from the Oriental Church could help me with.  I saw an icon of Mary Magdalene once, holding a red egg, and it was in Arabic.  Does anyone know here I can get this?  I also wanted to know if there are any websites where you can buy Arabic icons and/or Orthodox books?  Shukran!
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 12:23:22 PM »

J,
Al Masia Baynan!
Do you mean books in Arabic Language, or about Arab Orthodoxy? The Antiochian Archdiocese has some, there is also a parish in Montreal that is publishing in Arabic. Balamand has some books as well. One of the Syriac churches was selling on E-bay for a while too.

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 03:30:44 PM »

The icon you are referring to may be a traditional icon availabel from St. Issac of Syria Skete (however I belive theirs is lettered in greek) or a modernisytic icon iby Robert Lentz of Bridge Building icons---they have a sensual  St Mary Magdalene  holding a red egg and it is  lettered in  Arabic.

Of the two sources I would generally choose  St Issac of Syria---theior icons are more  traditional and Orthodox in composition.

InChrist,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 03:52:58 PM »

Is this the one?:
http://www.bridgebuilding.com/narr/gmm.html

It's modern and by Robert Lentz. I saw one of his yesterday while checking on his link to Gregory of Colorado that gave me the willies.

Addendum:  I was poking around and found this one that I'd never seen before:
http://www.bridgebuilding.com/narr/lbmam.html

Ebor
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 04:32:21 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 04:24:01 PM »

Sebah al khair, ya azdika'i =)  I have a question that maybe some Arabic-speaking friends from the Oriental Church could help me with.  I saw an icon of Mary Magdalene once, holding a red egg, and it was in Arabic.  Does anyone know here I can get this?  I also wanted to know if there are any websites where you can buy Arabic icons and/or Orthodox books?  Shukran!

Sabah il ful, ya seedee.

http://www.alexiapublications.com/index.htm

You can find Arabic books--no icons unfortunately--at the above address.

I'm sorry that I have no information to provide on the icon; it is not familiar to me.  

In IC XC
Samer
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 09:48:37 PM »

Justin, I have just realised this thread is running in the Oriental Orthodox forum; you may have been asking for O.O. books exclusively.  Still, I hope the Eastern Orthodox link I provided will prove useful.

In IC XC
Samer
Rustaveli
Constant In Opal... Ultramarine

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Eastern Church

Saint Shota Rustaveli

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 10:02:07 AM »

Justin,

I have seen the "Building Bridges" icon of Saint Mary Magdalene (we have a copy at my mission church);

the link at http://www.bridgebuilding.com/narr/gmm.html indicates that the inscription is [a form of] Syriac, rather than Arabic, although they are (of course) closely related.

I've had this confirmed by someone with some knowledge of Syriac, who indicates that the inscription reads "Saint Mary of Magdala with an Egg".

If you are interested in Syriac / Oriental Orthodox Christianity as well as Arabic / Eastern Orthodox, I recommend this website:

http://sor.cua.edu/

(Syrian Orthodox Resources) - it's quite an impressive collection of online resources.

salaam!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 10:03:27 AM by Rustaveli » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 10:43:09 AM »

I am very surprised to hear that churches contain these painting from Building Bridges (aka Burning Bridges). I always thought that supporting this group was discouraged among the Orthodox Churches?

I am also surprised that any Orthodox Christian upon looking at their catalog would not be great disturbed by what they see.

Joseph
Rustaveli
Constant In Opal... Ultramarine

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Eastern Church

Saint Shota Rustaveli

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 11:40:24 AM »

Well, I was a bit surprised at first to find a "Burning Bridges" icon so used;

I gather that the St. Mary Magdalene icon was a donation, and I doubt that the person or persons involved had pondered (or even seen) the other, more "out there" offerings of the Building Bridges repetoire.

Any thoughts on this particular icon [i.e., the Syriac Saint Mary Magdalene]?

I find it a far cry from other "BB" products, such as "Mexican Christ" or "Jesus of the People" [which seem to have a clear syncretic agenda], but I admit that it is not traditional in style.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 11:47:18 AM by Rustaveli » Logged
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 12:03:54 PM »

Shukran Jazeelan folks =)  The icon was in fact the one I had seen before, but I didn't want to start a firestorm so I didn't mention that I saw it on a book that was very heterodox!  I just need some images for a presentation I'm doing in a month or two.  I appreciate the help!
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 07:30:46 PM »

'Afwan, Istaaz Justin.  If you wish to read the story behind the saint and the egg, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Magdalene#Easter_Egg_tradition

In IC XC
Samer
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: