OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 01:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craziest things Christians have said about atheists/non-believers.  (Read 3458 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 11:31:48 PM »

As for the thread itself - I know better than to try to respond to it point-by-point. It's an inherent "troll" thread with people who have no intention of defending their claims. So why bother? Smiley

Well, for once you're correct (don't let it go to your head, it's just once). While I'm willing to spend hours looking through the Bible, Church Fathers, etc. coming up with posts for this site, with most of the content frankly having little to no practical application or benefit for me, nonetheless I had no intentions of responding to some of the posts in this thread. Some problems would be too frustrating to try to fix, some problems are obviously dumb arguments to begin with, and yet other problems would require that someone change a major part of their world view before they admitted that they were wrong.

Though now that I think about it, 90% of the arguments are probably a bit of all three.

A priest (who was actually a practicing psychologist in his secular life) once told me that I don't suffer fools gladly. He was to a large extent right. Though I've learned to keep my mouth shut a lot of the time.

Btw, this thread was originally meant to be light hearted. Hence the winking emoticon as part of the Message Icon. There was also the "Ahh, now I feel better" thing. So much for that!  police Many seemed not to pick up on it's tone, and tried to turn it into a debate. Which I guess I should have expected; and yet, as I said earlier, is a bit depressing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:32:50 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 11:34:37 PM »

Many seemed not to pick up on it's tone, and tried to turn it into a debate. Which I guess I should have expected; and yet, as I said earlier, is a bit depressing.

It's like you are looking over my shoulder.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »

As for the thread itself - I know better than to try to respond to it point-by-point. It's an inherent "troll" thread with people who have no intention of defending their claims. So why bother? Smiley

Well, for once you're correct (don't let it go to your head, it's just once). While I'm willing to spend hours looking through the Bible, Church Fathers, etc. coming up with posts for this site, with most of the content frankly having little to no practical application or benefit for me, nonetheless I had no intentions of responding to some of the posts in this thread. Some problems would be too frustrating to try to fix, some problems are obviously dumb arguments to begin with, and yet other problems would require that someone change a major part of their world view before they admitted that they were wrong.

Though now that I think about it, 90% of the arguments are probably a bit of all three.

A priest (who was actually a practicing psychologist in his secular life) once told me that I don't suffer fools gladly. He was to a large extent right. Though I've learned to keep my mouth shut a lot of the time.

Btw, this thread was originally meant to be light hearted. Hence the winking emoticon as part of the Message Icon. There was also the "Ahh, now I feel better" thing. So much for that!  police Many seemed not to pick up on it's tone, and tried to turn it into a debate. Which I guess I should have expected; and yet, as I said earlier, is a bit depressing.
Considering your flirtations with atheism I took it seriously. My apologies.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 11:35:33 PM »

Many seemed not to pick up on it's tone, and tried to turn it into a debate. Which I guess I should have expected; and yet, as I said earlier, is a bit depressing.

Turn around.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:38 PM »

Did you seriously just quote yourself as proof?

This is surprising. //:=)

Would wikipedia be better?

Let's check together, never thought to before on such a silly subject:

Commonly, what is meant is a relatively gentle inside joke by veteran users, presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly. For example, a veteran of the group might make a post on the common misconception that glass flows over time. Long-time readers would both recognize the poster's name and know that the topic had been discussed a lot, but new subscribers to the group would not realize, and would thus respond. These types of trolls served as a practice to identify group insiders. This definition of trolling, considerably narrower than the modern understanding of the term, was considered a positive contribution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)#Early_history

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 11:40:03 PM »

I've never seen troll defined as something positive.

Cause you are a n00b.

Share your cred.

Um, no. I've been on boards and in chat rooms for at least 16 years.

How would you even know?

The only people who think trolling is positive are, of course, trolls.

16 years . . . let's do the math, it's like 2011?

------

n00b

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2011, 11:43:27 PM »

We even had different names for people. All kindsa shibboleths depending on the group.

Good times. Then AOL happened and all that home access garbage for the everyman, then Netscape, then worse dejanews, then even worser: google groups.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »

Turn around.
Don't turn around
'Cause you're gonna see my heart breaking
Don't turn around
I don't want you seeing me cry

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 11:48:38 PM »

LOVE THAT SONG.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »

Don't want him hitting on your girl? Totally acceptable or understandable. I get those two confused. //:=)

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »

LOVE THAT SONG.

I'm going to start quoting music I know.

My friends are amazed at what I don't know or have even heard of at karaoke.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »

Don't want him hitting on your girl? Totally acceptable or understandable. I get those two confused. //:=)
She's been a faithless whore.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:53:15 PM by Aposphet » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »

LOVE THAT SONG.
I forgot the best part:

WHOA-O

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2011, 11:56:45 PM »

She's been a faithless whore.

NICE!!!

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 11:57:07 PM »

LOVE THAT SONG.

Oh wah, you're so old, I'm a hipster, I know, I know.  laugh

And a lot of it depends on upbringing. My father and mother blasted Eurodance all throughout my childhood. They have videos of me dancing to the stuff.

I know a lot of random music but I fail whenever I pick a Beatles song on the Cranium Humdingers category. I can only hum the verse line. No one would want to be on my team for that part, but I knock out the Gnilleps every single time.

--
--
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 11:57:33 PM »

Sorry  Undecided

I honestly thought it was a challenging notion, of how to prevent making the same argumentative mistakes, with a little bit of a joke in it (hence the dbag part)

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 11:58:34 PM »

LOVE THAT SONG.
I forgot the best part:

WHOA-O
If you wanna leave, I won't beg you to stay.
And if you go, darling, maybe it's better that way.
I'm gonna be strong, I'm gonna be fine, don't worry about this heart of mine.

(Genius stuff, amirite?)

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 12:00:44 AM »

LOVE THAT SONG.

Oh wah, you're so old, I'm a hipster, I know, I know.  laugh

And a lot of it depends on upbringing. My father and mother blasted Eurodance all throughout my childhood. They have videos of me dancing to the stuff.

I know a lot of random music but I fail whenever I pick a Beatles song on the Cranium Humdingers category. I can only hum the verse line. No one would want to be on my team for that part, but I knock out the Gnilleps every single time.

I mean, I don't know hardly any of the stuff, I ain't talking marginal stuff. All white people music.

The white people music I know comes from films where the music is just pitch perfect for the scene (every film by PT Anderson for example), hence some of my odd knowledges.

Or places I work and had to listen to over and over without knowing who sang the stuff.

Or friends or past loves where there are sentimental attachments.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2011, 12:01:24 AM »

LOVE THAT SONG.
I forgot the best part:

WHOA-O

(Genius stuff, amirite?)

I gotta start writing lyrics . . .

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »

What are you classifying as white people music, now?

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »

Whatever was ostensibly popular, like everyone in the bar knows and I am clueless.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »

Whatever was ostensibly popular, like everyone in the bar knows and I am clueless.

Orthonorm, bro, are you some kind of self-loathing hipster?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2011, 01:43:46 AM »

Ummm they all cheer and love the schlocky music in an ironic manner. I grew around black and hicks.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 02:19:32 AM »

Atheists can be good, but they can never really have a standard (that isn't arbitrary) by which to judge their own goodness.

Not for this to descend into unhappy, unfun, but Christians have been really steady and in agrement in their morals over the millennia. lulz. If you want to argue about this, not only do I have proof but also a place where you do it:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/

I didn't say they were.  Rather, I said that Atheists can have no objective standard by which to judge what is or isn't good, certainly there are many Christians like this as well.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »

*, brilliant. You are getting them to come and say there own crazy things in earnest.

Yeah, but don't you kinda find it depressing? I mean, these aren't dumb people here, and yet...
And yet what?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »

Ummm they all cheer and love the schlocky music in an ironic manner. I grew around black and hicks.

You know, my buddy has some bluegrass rap music.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »

White people music is what it has been since Roman times.  Metal!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2011, 11:35:56 AM »

*, brilliant. You are getting them to come and say there own crazy things in earnest.

Yeah, but don't you kinda find it depressing? I mean, these aren't dumb people here, and yet...
And yet what?

I hope you are brilliantly playing the straight man here , but I fear you are not. (I swear no innuendo about RCs there. Seriously.)

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »

What's the official, 73et $p34k, better-than-crack, word for troll?

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »

Eh, for a bit I felt like some people were being trollish as well, but I've since realised that this isn't the case. Some people are consistent in how they approach things like this, and I shouldn't have expected otherwise on this thread.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »

The name of either two of the newer notorious posters here. Both names begin with the same letter and end with the same sound.

I don't know who is brillianter.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »

LOVE THAT SONG.
I forgot the best part:

WHOA-O

(Genius stuff, amirite?)
All that she wants is another baby...eeyyo

A friend of mine in high school was a huge Ace of Base fan which is funny because he was such a stan of Tupac.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: