Author Topic: How is it any different than what the Orthodox Church experienced.  (Read 593 times)

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
  • Faith: Christian.
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada.
Re: How is it any different than what the Orthodox Church experienced.
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2015, 11:39:56 PM »
You're right about the latter as well. We do give more importance to the structure than the belief. Maybe that is the result of the British Empire or maybe a normal result of the Church of England history. From the time it broke away from Rome, it had to fight over and over to keep its people together. I believe that is the reason the Church of England, later on became  Anglican Communion established a policy of unity of worship rather than unity of belief, in order to survive in a changing world and a changing Empire back in the days. However, unfortunately this same policy will be the reason for its break down.

The problem is that you can have unity of worship AND unity of belief (Eastern Orthodoxy) or diversity of worship AND unity of belief (Oriental Orthodoxy) and still have a united Church/Communion of Churches.  But without unity of belief, it falls apart.   

I agree. I think no matter what the Orthodox Church gone through, and no matter the divisions that happen between certain jurisdictions, the faith remain the same. They agree to disagree on worldly matters, but they don't agree to disagree on faith matters.

It came to my attention today that there was a Bishop way before Spong that also denied very fundamental Christians doctrines such as the Trinity, the Virgin Birth, and Hell, and that was The Episcopal Bishop of California James Pike during the 1960s. He faced some reactions but I guess " the Church decided it was not in the denomination's best interest to pursue an actual heresy trial " !! I wonder what on earth is the Church's best interest then ?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:41:06 PM by Raylight »
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
  • Faith: Christian.
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada.
Re: How is it any different than what the Orthodox Church experienced.
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »
Just notice to the reader who may get shocked as soon as they read something as " Heresy trial ". It is not what you think it is, it is not like the imaginary images of burned priests. Heresy Trial is for clergy members only. Clergy members who vowed to believe and protect the Christian doctrines which include but not limited to; Christ's divinity, His actual physical resurrection, His virgin birth, and the Holy Trinity. When those clergy members ( Deacons, Priests, Bishops, and Archbishops ) deny these doctrines, they are breaking the vow they gave to God and the Church. Therefor, they should face the trial and if they were proven guilty, they will be fired (excommunicated) from the Church because they are no more loyal to their vows. If you think that is unfair, then let me clear it for you. If you are hired by a company, you will have to sign a contract between you and that company. Which in it  you will declare that you agree and promise to abide to the terms and conditions of the contract,and any violation of these terms will result in your discharge. It is just like that.
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.