Author Topic: " Pope Francis' Favorable Rating Drops in U.S. "  (Read 201 times)

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
  • Faith: Christian.
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada.
" Pope Francis' Favorable Rating Drops in U.S. "
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:40:15 PM »

According to a recent Gallup pull, only 59% of Americans are favorable of Pope Francis, a drop from 76% in 2014. Meanwhile 16% are unfavorable of him, an increase from 9% in 2014. Gallup notices that 89% of Catholics in 2014 were favorable of Pope Francis, but the number dropped to 71% in 2015.

Pope Francis' Favorable Rating Drops in U.S. Gallup. 2015. http://www.gallup.com/poll/184283/pope-francis-favorable-rating-drops.aspx?utm_source=Religion&utm_medium=newsfeed&utm_campaign=tiles
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
  • Faith: Christian.
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada.
Re: " Pope Francis' Favorable Rating Drops in U.S. "
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:40:52 PM »
What could possibly be the reason/s that caused the ratings to drop ?
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 07:44:18 PM »
Climate change.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Online Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Φέρ' ὕδωρ φέρ' οἶνον, ὦ παῖ!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:57:45 PM »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

νίκας τοῖς Βασιλεῦσι κατὰ βαρβάρων δωρούμενος

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 11:44:29 PM »
Climate change.

The United States is literally the only country in which a significant proportion of the population denies that climate change exists or is human-caused. Virtually everywhere else, the consensus is that it is real. Not so in the US. Perhaps that's because Americans have the most to lose, economically speaking, from cap-and-trade and other similar measures.
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:59:59 PM »
+ he reminds people that they should not be greedy, and that's not one of the sins it is popular to speak against, especially in capitalist, "rugged individualist," "pull yourself up by your bootstraps even if someone took your boots" America

+ he spoke against gay marriage, which is also surely hurting his numbers among those who generally would dislike popes, but had seen him as the "cool pope"; some are now realising that saying "who am I to judge" is not the same as "everything about it is fine and dandy"

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:03:16 AM »
Climate change.

The United States is literally the only country in which a significant proportion of the population denies that climate change exists or is human-caused. Virtually everywhere else, the consensus is that it is real. Not so in the US. Perhaps that's because Americans have the most to lose, economically speaking, from cap-and-trade and other similar measures.

Not so anymore.  Europeans are increasingly becoming more skeptical about whether there is anthropogenic climate change.  Though it may not enjoy majority status, public opinion polls in Western Europe and also in Australia show that anthropogenic climate change is becoming less important of an issue and/or they no longer buy into it.

Btw, could it just be conceivable that Americans don't buy into anthropogenic climate change simply because it is not occurring?  Or is it just easier for you to accuse Americans of being selfish, greedy, avaricious, etc.?
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:34:38 AM »
Climate change.

Not so anymore.  Europeans are increasingly becoming more skeptical about whether there is anthropogenic climate change.  Though it may not enjoy majority status, public opinion polls in Western Europe and also in Australia show that anthropogenic climate change is becoming less important of an issue and/or they no longer buy into it.

Btw, could it just be conceivable that Americans don't buy into anthropogenic climate change simply because it is not occurring?  Or is it just easier for you to accuse Americans of being selfish, greedy, avaricious, etc.?

Or, it's real.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • "I’m da mo’ freakin’ top madam"
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:43:12 AM »
It's dropping because the Pope ain't really doing what liberals want him to do. He doesn't seem interested in allowing gay marriages or allowing the ordination of female clergy. His popularity after all is simply because of overhopeful liberals and the media that try to paint him as someone who would make the Catholic Church another Episcopalian or Church of England. Taking any statements from him that could be seen as implying support for what liberals want.

Now that's time has passed, we see that the Pope ain't doing any of the stuff liberals want. Naturally, popularity ratings would just plummet because of this. If the Pope wants good ratings, he's gotta say something that implies that homosexuality is normal or that the Catholic Church accepts their marriages.  Such is unlikely. He may make statements that may ruffle the feathers of liberals but that's all there is. Nothing is really done to make them happy.

Just my own take on this.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:43:33 AM by sakura95 »
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 12:46:02 AM »
Climate change.

Or, it's real.

It's hard to notice global warming with all this bitter cold. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:47:15 AM »
I'm a flaming liberal and I think this pope is the greatest thing since sliced bread 8)

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 12:56:39 AM »

I think it's because (as sakura95 points out) the progressive wing of the Catholic church in America has begun to realize that on gay marriage, women's ordination, contraception (pending the synod on the family), etc.... it's business as usual for the Vatican.

I also think support from conservatives maybe dropping off as well. He's an incredibly gaff prone Pope who often says things off the cuff that his conservative supporters have to twist/interpret/ignore in order to reconcile with their version of conservative Catholicism.
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 01:37:34 AM »

I think it's because (as sakura95 points out) the progressive wing of the Catholic church in America has begun to realize that on gay marriage, women's ordination, contraception (pending the synod on the family), etc.... it's business as usual for the Vatican.

I also think support from conservatives maybe dropping off as well. He's an incredibly gaff prone Pope who often says things off the cuff that his conservative supporters have to twist/interpret/ignore in order to reconcile with their version of conservative Catholicism.

He is also not the thinker that Benedict XVI is. He is also a staunch opponent of the extraordinary Rite and forbade an order of Franciscans from celebrating it.  I am sure that has also contributed to his declining numbers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:37:51 AM by scamandrius »

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 01:39:31 AM »
Climate change.

Or, it's real.

Well, I guess that settles everything.  Thanks.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:41:02 AM »
I'm a flaming liberal and I think this pope is the greatest thing since sliced bread 8)

You are very easily impressed.

Online TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »
+ he reminds people that they should not be greedy, and that's not one of the sins it is popular to speak against, especially in capitalist, "rugged individualist," "pull yourself up by your bootstraps even if someone took your boots" America

+ he spoke against gay marriage, which is also surely hurting his numbers among those who generally would dislike popes, but had seen him as the "cool pope"; some are now realising that saying "who am I to judge" is not the same as "everything about it is fine and dandy"
Well, at least there was one post in this thread that had to do with the OP...  :-\
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Māran etraḥam 'lay!
  • Faith: Orthodox inquirer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
Sam G pretty much has it. The hardcore traditionalists never liked him, liberals are disillusioned that changes on moral issues have not been forthcoming, and the (neo-)conservative wing has tired of his attacks on capitalism and adoption of the climate change platform. If the October Synod actually proposes any changes with respect to divorce and Communion, support from the conservative wing could plummet, though he'd pick up some from the liberals.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)