OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:03:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Can i talk about anything in confession or is there things that ppl should avoid talking about???  (Voting closed: August 23, 2011, 12:26:30 AM)
Yes (explain below) - 15 (71.4%)
No (dont bother explaining below) - 3 (14.3%)
keep it short unless you want him to call security - 1 (4.8%)
take your time especially if you have good jokes!!!! - 1 (4.8%)
depends if you bring a single malt or a blend - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The confessions of a really bad sinner  (Read 4389 times) Average Rating: 5
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »

You should always be honest.  But some details are better left unsaid.  If the priest wants to know, he'll ask.  If you arn't comfortable saying something, tell the priest.  Those are the basics I think we can all agree on.  (I hope).

Can you plead the 5th in the states?? Does that work with yr priest?? haha...

He IS a Priest.

What does THAT mean?? "He IS a Priest"??

Michal is implying that whilst a layperson has someone they call "my priest" (the priest of their parish) the priest himself doesn't, because he is the priest of his own parish - therefore the question "does that work for yr priest" isn't appropriate.

However, a priest does go to a confessor (could be another priest, or a bishop, or a monastic) to receive the Sacrament of Confession himself, so your question is not inappropriate. It's just we don't usually talk about priest having "a priest" in the same way that a layperson does - though he will have a confessor.

IC XC
NI KA
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »

If we are going to get nerdy, not all Priests have the "falculty" to hear confessions.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »

^  nor do all priests have the blessing to hear confessions.  i for one do not (yet)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 02:57:37 PM »

^  nor do all priests have the blessing to hear confessions.  i for one do not (yet)

Is blessing more appropriate to use than falculty? Or are they one in the same or the latter the "result" of the former?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:57:49 PM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »

^  nor do all priests have the blessing to hear confessions.  i for one do not (yet)
I remember asking my priest about this, but isn't there a period of time that you have to be a priest before you have the blessing? Doesn't that mean that you can't hear any confessions at all? What happens, in that case, for the parishoners? Do they have to go somewhere else?

Sorry, so many questions. My priest talked specifically about our church and surrounding churches, but I would like to know how it generally applies throughout the GOA.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:59:06 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »

This is a great article on confession in general:

http://www.stgeorgecathedral.net/article_0101.html

I especially like this ditty:

For most of us living in the world, it is entirely unnecessary [Having a spiritual father]. In fact, the desire for a “spiritual father” may be an indication of “prelest,” (spiritual lust) - that a person imagines himself to be far more “spiritual” than he actually is.

pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »

Well , for a bad sinner there are 2 possibilities.

One is Old Law that recommends stonning as a way to erase sins. Beside that with Old law destination is Hell so no chance for this. I can not understand why Protestantism went from New Law to Old Law at erasing sins or from confession to blood atonement that has no big power, anyhow one of many mistakes.

That makes confession from New Law a breeeze. The best part is that New Law opens the gates of Heaven through baptism. So don't worry. Speak with your Priest about your concerns. The only problem would be if the man confessing will keep willingly a sin not confessed. If you don't remember the sin NO PROBLEM. One woman went to confession and one monk saw sins exiting from her as snakes. However he saw a big snake trying to exit, again and again however the woman could not confess it and so the other snakes eneterd back to her. So I don't know. Try to say the sins without hidding.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:04:52 PM by pasadi97 » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 05:31:04 PM »

Well , for a bad sinner there are 2 possibilities.

One is Old Law that recommends stonning as a way to erase sins. Beside that with Old law destination is Hell so no chance for this. I can not understand why Protestantism went from New Law to Old Law at erasing sins or from confession to blood atonement that has no big power, anyhow one of many mistakes.

That makes confession from New Law a breeeze. The best part is that New Law opens the gates of Heaven through baptism. So don't worry. Speak with your Priest about your concerns. The only problem would be if the man confessing will keep willingly a sin not confessed. If you don't remember the sin NO PROBLEM. One woman went to confession and one monk saw sins exiting from her as snakes. However he saw a big snake trying to exit, again and again however the woman could not confess it and so the other snakes eneterd back to her. So I don't know. Try to say the sins without hidding.

Yeah that monk probably needs to stay off the red bull lolOl

As for stoning, that sounds like a good system to me  Grin

Destination wasn't hell under old law because Abraham was under old law and he was full of faith and so God and Abraham were tight.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:51:06 PM by Poppy » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »

You should always be honest.  But some details are better left unsaid.  If the priest wants to know, he'll ask.  If you arn't comfortable saying something, tell the priest.  Those are the basics I think we can all agree on.  (I hope).

He IS a Priest.

Michal is implying that whilst a layperson has someone they call "my priest" (the priest of their parish) the priest himself doesn't, because he is the priest of his own parish - therefore the question "does that work for yr priest" isn't appropriate.

However, a priest does go to a confessor (could be another priest, or a bishop, or a monastic) to receive the Sacrament of Confession himself, so your question is not inappropriate. It's just we don't usually talk about priest having "a priest" in the same way that a layperson does - though he will have a confessor.

Ok i should have said "with" your priest
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:53:03 PM by Poppy » Logged
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 06:44:36 PM »

You should always be honest.  But some details are better left unsaid.  If the priest wants to know, he'll ask.  If you arn't comfortable saying something, tell the priest.  Those are the basics I think we can all agree on.  (I hope).

He IS a Priest.

I didn't explain myself very well (after just reading over my last post  Undecided)

You said "does that work with yr priest?" to serb1389.

serb1389 is a priest, so therefore within his own parish he doesn't "have a priest" - because within a parish there is one congregation, one altar, one presiding celebrant, and that celebrant is the priest, and in serb1389's parish, that is serb1389 himself.

That doesn't take away from your question, however. It was just a bit of pedantry over the way you worded it (unnecessary pedantry in my view). I then went on to say that all priests will have a confessor, to whom they confess their own sins. So you could have said: "does that work with yr confessor?" to serb1389 without getting pulled up on it. But maybe someone would have found something else to pull you up on instead  Tongue These are forums after all: if there is a hair to be split, it will be split.

IC XC
NI KA
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »

He IS a Priest.

I didn't explain myself very well (after just reading over my last post  Undecided)

serb1389 is a priest, so therefore within his own parish he doesn't "have a priest" - because within a parish there is one congregation, one altar, one presiding celebrant, and that celebrant is the priest, and in serb1389's parish, that is serb1389 himself.

That doesn't take away from your question, however. It was just a bit of pedantry over the way you worded it (unnecessary pedantry in my view). I then went on to say that all priests will have a confessor, to whom they confess their own sins. So you could have said: "does that work with yr confessor?" to serb1389 without getting pulled up on it. But maybe someone would have found something else to pull you up on instead  Tongue These are forums after all: if there is a hair to be split, it will be split.

For the record, I was trying to be funny.   Grin Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »

^  nor do all priests have the blessing to hear confessions.  i for one do not (yet)

Is blessing more appropriate to use than falculty? Or are they one in the same or the latter the "result" of the former?

to be honest, I would separate them out.  Priests who have a blessing don't necessary have the faculty, and vice-versa. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »

I remember asking my priest about this, but isn't there a period of time that you have to be a priest before you have the blessing?

In the GOA yes. , usually 5-10 years is the norm/average i've seen. For the serbian church (in general) no.  These are the only 2 I can attest to. 

Doesn't that mean that you can't hear any confessions at all?

yes, that means I cannot offer absolution.  If someone tells me something in private, that is one thing, but it is not the sacrament of confession. 

What happens, in that case, for the parishoners? Do they have to go somewhere else?

I'm at a fairly large church where i'm the assistant.  So the head priest has the blessing to offer confession, so whenever anyone needs to go, they go to him.  If I were in a church by myself usually the bishop would take care of this before I go to that church (the blessing). 

Sorry, so many questions. My priest talked specifically about our church and surrounding churches, but I would like to know how it generally applies throughout the GOA.

In general, as I said above, you have to wait 5-10 years to receive this blessing (for confession).  The bishop will then make you an "exomologos" or "confessor" giving you the right/blessing to offer confession/absolution.

As it stands right now, all I can do is listen to people & point them to the proistamenos. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2011, 01:48:05 AM »

Destination wasn't hell under old law because Abraham was under old law and he was full of faith and so God and Abraham were tight.

No, I think I know what I am saying. Old Law is so bad compared with New Law that even Abraham while being closer to God in life ended in Hell for hundreds of years until Jesus rescued and baptised him. You need to read Gospel of Nicodemus the descent of Christ into Hell and see who is he meeting there.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/gospelnicodemus.html

This is why Jesus is named Savior. because before him with Old Law Adam, Abaraham, King david, isaiah and everyone beside Enoch and Elijah and maybe Moses probably ended in Hell. People don't take seriously this:
JN 3:5 Jesus answered, "Most certainly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God!
Born of water and spirit means baptism. So a possible interpretation is NO BAPTISM NO HEAVEN.Who did baptize Abraham before Jesus descended into Hell?

And no HEAVEN does not mean HELL, I need to correct this since for example the gentle will inherit the Earth and this may be tru even if not being baptized.

So again because there was no baptism, people would generally not be able to make it to Heaven AGAIN SEE JOHN 3:3 or 3:5. And we see in Gospel of Nicodemus Adam, seth, King david Isaiah being in Hell. And they were close to God.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:51:27 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2011, 03:21:23 AM »

If OLd Law would be bycicle, new Law would be like more than the newest jet plane.

If someone does a lot of training with bycicle like having a really hard life program a Spartane life program and is and is a vegan he can not go 8000 miles in 3 days. he can not. Even if you see him running 3 hours every day. Even if you are impressed with running 3 hours a day, with a true disicpline and wisdom, a bycicle in the end is a bycicle and 3000 miles is 3000 miles and even Solomon ended in Hell. Same with Abraham, even if he did so much for humanity there was no Jet Plane or baptism if you will and Heaven remained out of his reach. Again JN 3:5 Jesus answered, "Most certainly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! Born of water and spirit means baptism.  NOW IMAGINE PROTESTANTISM GOING TO BYCICLE FROM MORE THAN JET PLANE.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:25:10 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2011, 04:03:42 AM »

He IS a Priest.

I didn't explain myself very well (after just reading over my last post  Undecided)

That doesn't take away from your question, however. It was just a bit of pedantry over the way you worded it (unnecessary pedantry in my view). I then went on to say that all priests will have a confessor, to whom they confess their own sins. So you could have said: "does that work with yr confessor?" to serb1389 without getting pulled up on it. But maybe someone would have found something else to pull you up on instead  Tongue These are forums after all: if there is a hair to be split, it will be split.

Ok, i didn't know serb is a priest, now i get it.

Would have been shorter to say, serb is a priest ^.-
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:25:24 AM by Poppy » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2011, 04:12:00 AM »

No, I think I know what I am saying. Old Law is so bad compared with New Law that even Abraham while being closer to God in life ended in Hell for hundreds of years until Jesus rescued and baptised him. You need to read Gospel of Nicodemus the descent of Christ into Hell and see who is he meeting there.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/gospelnicodemus.html

This is why Jesus is named Savior. because before him with Old Law Adam, Abaraham, King david, isaiah and everyone beside Enoch and Elijah and maybe Moses probably ended in Hell. People don't take seriously this:
JN 3:5 Jesus answered, "Most certainly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God!
Born of water and spirit means baptism. So a possible interpretation is NO BAPTISM NO HEAVEN.Who did baptize Abraham before Jesus descended into Hell?

And no HEAVEN does not mean HELL, I need to correct this since for example the gentle will inherit the Earth and this may be tru even if not being baptized.

So again because there was no baptism, people would generally not be able to make it to Heaven AGAIN SEE JOHN 3:3 or 3:5. And we see in Gospel of Nicodemus Adam, seth, King david Isaiah being in Hell. And they were close to God.

Ok so what your saying is not everyone ends up in hell and not everyone needs to be baptised, thanks
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 04:24:02 AM »

If OLd Law would be bycicle, new Law would be like more than the newest jet plane.

If Jesus fullfilled the law then it would be more like
old law = bycicle
new law = Suzuki Hayabusa: 248 mph (397 km/h) 1,340 cc, 4-stroke, four cylinder, liquid cooled, DOHC, 16 valves. top speed 248 mph
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2011, 08:50:38 AM »

In my understanding if you want Heaven you need to be baptized.
In my understanding Kingdom of God = heaven. Born of water and spirit = baptism.

Before Jesus, Enoch and Elijah did go neither in Hell and I believe in front of Garden of Heaven. So unless you are like them....
In the end judgement belongs to God.
However looking into wikipedia at Old Law this is where people of Old Law believe TODAY they go after death Actually translated is like this good or bad , for people of Old Law destination = Hell named by them Sheol. The poeople without ANY Law like hinduism, budhism that are sorcery I believe are in the worst parts of Hell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol

Sheol ( /ˈʃiː.oʊl/ sh-ohl or /ˈʃiː.əl/ sh-əl; Hebrew שְׁאוֹל Šʾôl) is the "grave", "pit", or "abyss" in Hebrew.[1][2] She'ol[3] is the earliest conception of the afterlife in the Jewish scriptures. It is a place of darkness to which all dead go, regardless of the moral choices made in life, and where they are "removed from the light of God" (see the Book of Job). In the Tanakh sheol is the common destination of both the righteous and the unrighteous flesh, as recounted in Ecclesiastes
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:17:42 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »

This is how ancient religion saw Hell like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-VlJnDvuw and where NON BAPTIZED people may end until last judgement when with exception of meek, gentle and some categories including aborted babies, there are chances for them to get into fire at last judgement. Aborted babies end in a very good part of Hell where they are not tormented and they are playing, however it is not heaven and this is why a monk said, if somebody wants to kill a child of his own,he should choose a baptized one not an unborn one. Abortion and grave sins like fornication can be forgiven and erased through confession. Blood atonement while destructive has no or little power. Hell is not equal. There is the worst part for sorcerers like hindu, Budhism, yoga and Eastern religions where to the worst enemy we should not allow to go there. This part it is named Tartarus. Then there is a very very very bad part with different punishments then there are good parts like for aborted babies.

So it is very important to get it right and into Heaven from first place.
That may be :
1.Eastern Orthodox Church with baptism, Holy Communion, Confession
2.prayer and good deeds
3.fasting
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:32:40 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »

This is the story about aborted not baptized babies probably in Hell. Anyhow looks like the Roman Catholic Thomas Aquinass ended there. http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/another_champion_of_abortion_becomes_defender_of_life_the_story_of_stojan_adasevic/
This is an orthodox icon of aborted babies and they are depicted being thrown into Hell:

The idea is that even without sins is so hard to make it to Heaven without BAPTISM. Neither unborn children don't make it that did not live one day.Anyhow the sin of abortion is erased through confession.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:53:02 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »

Aquinass

Freudian slip?

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »

Before Jesus, Enoch and Elijah did go neither in Hell and I believe in front of Garden of Heaven. So unless you are like them....
In the end judgement belongs to God.

Thanks. And God is forgiving, mercifull, king, loving, slow to anger..... someone that people shouldnt be scared of so, its all good then ^_^
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 11:06:26 AM »

laugh

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »

Darn convert forum. //:=) I have the most awesomest follow up. But we are supposed to be serious here folks.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 02:13:26 PM »

The idea is that even without sins is so hard to make it to Heaven without BAPTISM. Neither unborn children don't make it that did not live one day.Anyhow the sin of abortion is erased through confession.

Ever heard of St. Dismas?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2011, 08:11:12 PM »

Gospel of Nicodemus tells that he was baptized by jesus after his death. Not only him even a muslim on the deadbed became christian by asking for Jesus to come and Jesus did cokme and I don't know about conversation however he believed everything Jesus told him and the former muslim was sent to heaven.
So sure, jesus can baptize after someone departs. So families with departed not baptized members can pray to jesus to baptize these members and to give them Holy Communion and to forgive them of their sins.

When you pray is important to add other to your prayer so it becomes more powerfull. As a prayer:
Dear God, please force all non baptized people from my family to get baptized and give them Holy Communion forb eternal life. Please baptize all non baptized people and give Holy Communion to every man that did not take it in a good manner. Please save me and my family and s much people as possible, withouit pain and anger. Please give everybody waht you know he/she needs for all eternity without pain or anger. Amen.
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »

People asking for Jesus on their deadbed and being saved or rezolved like the thief on the cross that "stole" Heaven ,happen even in modern times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVi1GAHrILI&feature=related

So if sick angels come on the dead bed, ask for Jesus to come right away. Also to your favorite saints and Saint Mary. As you see in the movie above works. I know many stories about this working.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:18:33 PM by pasadi97 » Logged
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 09:02:09 PM »

I have to say with my first confession, at first I brought a really long list.. so he skimmed through it but told me he didn't want me to read all of it.  I tried to compile as much as possible of everything I've ever done wrong over my entire life.  He made me understand that the point of confession is for it to come from your heart, so he asked me to just confess whatever was weighing on me at the time.  If I felt like I forgot something, don't worry about it -- because God knows I've been dwelling on it for awhile, especially after I converted. 

He didn't want me to just read from a list, but I think this was also partially because my priest is an older man and he needs help standing up for a long time.  I would say there is no right or wrong way to do confession..

My list was 4 pages long, I tried to get in everything under the 10 Commandments and the Beatitudes.  Undecided

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »

This book has at the end a sample confession: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385468148/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0060630175&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1V2NZAFHJKAGPRXABAMM

Basically says:
Command one. Love your neighbour like yourself. I did not do that.
Command two. Love God from all your hearth. I did not do that.

Yes the important thing may be not to keep a sin hidden since you are confessing to God and angels need this, you saying the sins, as to erase your sins. The sins you have usually are bothering you somehow so say these sins.

As always ask your copnfessor about ANY question.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:27:45 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:47 AM »

But God makes exceptions for people as well
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »

Gospel of Nicodemus tells that he was baptized by jesus after his death.

That's the great reason why it's not in the canon and should be avoided.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Adelphi

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »

Poppy, in reference to your other thread, can you please translate lolOl?

Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. Prov. 23:23.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »

Poppy, in reference to your other thread, can you please translate lolOl?

That was because pasadi said this
One woman went to confession and one monk saw sins exiting from her as snakes. However he saw a big snake trying to exit, again and again however the woman could not confess it and so the other snakes eneterd back to her.

sounds like he was definitely on something.....
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »

red bull is an 'energy' drink high in sugar and caffeine commonly drunk in uk.
it tastes rank (bad) and rots yr teeth, but if u mix it with alcohol you get lots of energy to do silly things that u wish u hadn't!
 Wink
if u take too much u can get quite manic and say extreme things.
for some people the snakes story would sound a bit freaky.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 05:20:26 PM »

tastes nice i had some today perk me up
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »

hope u brushed yr teeth after!
 Wink
if u keep taking it after yr early 30's u get palpitations and indigestion from the caffeine...
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »

straw i drink it throught a straw

if you dont and you brush your teeth straight after then you just brush the sugar up under your gums.....bad bad

you have to just chew gum and neutralise it then clean them like 15 minutes later
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:38:03 PM by Poppy » Logged
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »

If I say "impure images" for pornography, or similar, is that OK?
P.S. This question is hypothetical.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2011, 10:23:43 PM »

I just wanted to thank you, Serb1389 (Forgive me, Father, I don't know your name! Grin) for answering my question. I'd never even thought of a delay in being able to give absolution. But so I guess the priest can still listen to your issues and provide guidance, which is really a large part of confession (not that the absolution is unimportant).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:24:24 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:40 AM »

If I say "impure images" for pornography, or similar, is that OK?
P.S. This question is hypothetical.

it's really up to the priest.  If you want my advice:  be as honest as possible.  Christ already knows, you might as well talk to Him about it. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2011, 12:55:54 AM »

I just wanted to thank you, Serb1389 (Forgive me, Father, I don't know your name! Grin) for answering my question. I'd never even thought of a delay in being able to give absolution. But so I guess the priest can still listen to your issues and provide guidance, which is really a large part of confession (not that the absolution is unimportant).

Bingo.  & you're welcome.  The way that I put it to people is:  I can help you with just about anything.  However some things....just need the grace of the Holy Spirit.  For those things, you need to go to confession & receive that grace.  That's just the way it is. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »

There are different points of view on confession among the Orthodox, AFAIK.

I was at one point struck by a line from the journals of Fr. Alexander Schmemann, former Dean of St. Vladimir Orthodox seminary in Crestwood, N.Y. and one of the most prominent 20th century Orthodox theologians-evangelists. He wrote that if it were up to him, he would simply ABOLISH individual confessions. In his opinion, they are almost always fake, i.e. the penitent is not really a penitent but, rather, a person who fancies the priest as a psychological therapist-comforter, and him/herself as a patient who needs therapy. SO, the sad result is, these "patients" tell their priests long stories where the principal plot is not sin but the so-called "conditions" of their souls: "I am intemperate, angry, lustful, dishonest, injurious to people, lazy, self-indulging, neglectful in prayer," etc. Usually, the priest can do nothing about this, so the whole procedure becomes a total waste of time and the priest might well become distracted from his real duty. Fr. Alexander further writes that one should go to confession ONLY in the case he or she committed A CLEAR, REAL SIN.

Love never fails.
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2011, 01:53:55 PM »

Sadly, some people do not have a single soul to listen to them and I can see how a priest can become a target if they are feeling lonely.

~ Dyhn
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2011, 06:35:16 PM »

Thanks, serb1389. One of the previous posts was confusing
Tags: confession  sins priest sex masturbation 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: