OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 03:57:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting development in the OCA  (Read 11014 times) Average Rating: 0
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: August 09, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »

Very interesting development in the OCA:

http://byztex.blogspot.com/2011/08/mark-stokoe-of-ocanews-removed-from.html

God love Vladyka Matthias! Axios! Grin

On the heels of His Grace's pastoral letter last week, reaffirming the Church's traditional stance on homosexuality, this is not surprising. His Grace definitely has a backbone!

Vladyka's pastoral letter:

http://www.midwestdiocese.org/news_110802_1.html

Note the last bulleted point in the letter.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »

Its unfortunate that it has come to this. But you cannot really be Orthodox and live an active homosexual lifestyle. As Bishop Matthias said, if you struggle with other Orthodox Christians and recognize homosexuality as what it is, and as long as you don't contradict the teaching of the Church, then you are fine.

Groups like "Axios" are rightly excommunicated and put out of the Church. You cannot try to justify your behavior and expect to be allowed to commune in our church. It doesn't matter what sin you're committing.

With discussions like this though, I also feel like we are all guilty of the sin of gossip and loose tongues. Lord forgive us!
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »

Hmmm......

Never a dull moment I suppose.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:05:07 AM »

With discussions like this though, I also feel like we are all guilty of the sin of gossip and loose tongues. Lord forgive us!

Possibly, but Church officials affect all of us. St Paul said that bishops must be "above reproach", but I would think that command extends to everyone in Church leadership, even lay leadership. For our Orthodox brothers and sisters who are struggling against the passion of homosexuality, it could be a major stumbling-block to see someone like Mr Stokoe in such a position in the Church.

I applaud Bishop Matthias' letter, and on the heels of the Antiochian Archdiocese's resolution last weekend dealing with gay marriage, I am glad to see the Church putting her foot down on these issues that have risen in the cultural consciousness recently.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:05:40 AM by bogdan » Logged
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »

What a  joke. Hopefully they'll find some other excuse than his alleged homosexuality or else they'll have to explain why nothing happens to those afflicted with similar "passions" in the hierarchy.

Given that there has been a lot of questions and concern about Mark Stokoe's very apparent conflict of interest (being on the MC and the things he's published and some of the methods used for getting the information), I'd say His Grace had quite enough to go on to remove MS from the MC without the homosexuality issue.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:34:58 AM »

What a  joke. Hopefully they'll find some other excuse than his alleged homosexuality or else they'll have to explain why nothing happens to those afflicted with similar "passions" in the hierarchy.

Given that there has been a lot of questions and concern about Mark Stokoe's very apparent conflict of interest (being on the MC and the things he's published and some of the methods used for getting the information), I'd say His Grace had quite enough to go on to remove MS from the MC without the homosexuality issue.
For the conflict of interests issue, I'm actually somewhat surprised Mr. Stokoe was even appointed to such positions of responsibility within the OCA.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:39:34 AM »

For the conflict of interests issue, I'm actually somewhat surprised Mr. Stokoe was even appointed to such positions of responsibility within the OCA.

Well, you can blame the Diocesan Assembly in the fall of 2008 for that! The Diocesan Assembly is usually held in early October. Met. Herman had just been retired, a lot of stuff had come into the open that MS helped crack open - or at least provide the forum for the info to be revealed. So you can see why he was elected to the MC (with an unelected seat on the Diocesan Council as a result). Our Diocesan Assembly this year is being held on October 31, right before the AAC in Seattle. I was really praying MS wouldn't be reelected for a second term. At least we don't have to worry about that now.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:55:02 AM »

Well, you can blame the Diocesan Assembly in the fall of 2008 for that! The Diocesan Assembly is usually held in early October. Met. Herman had just been retired, a lot of stuff had come into the open that MS helped crack open - or at least provide the forum for the info to be revealed. So you can see why he was elected to the MC (with an unelected seat on the Diocesan Council as a result). Our Diocesan Assembly this year is being held on October 31, right before the AAC in Seattle. I was really praying MS wouldn't be reelected for a second term. At least we don't have to worry about that now.
Yeah, I guess they found out how much of a two-edged sword he is.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:55:11 AM »

[Tit for tat ...]

Mark Stokoe "got" Met. Herman and was trying to "get" Met. Jonah.

Met. Jonah / OCA "got" Mark Stokoe.

[/Tit for tat ...]   angel

EDIT: Note that the above sentences retain their meaning if one uses "out" rather than "get"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:56:46 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 01:07:20 AM »

Hasn't it been proven Mark Stokoe is a practicing homosexual? (or rather, hasn't he "outted" himself?)

Yes, I would say he's done more than just be a "homosexual" to warrant his removal. This isn't some sort of witch hunt, but we have to recognize that practicing homosexuality isn't compatible with Orthodoxy, and people in our Church need to realize this. (yes, I know most do, but there are some who don't)

I don't think it's fair for us to say that they are being picky-choosy when it comes to removing certain people. We don't know the full stories on issues, and we aren't the ones involved in these scandals.

As has been mentioned before, we can certainly have monks, Priests and Bishops that are "gay", but they absolutely cannot be practicing, and cannot try to justify their actions or feelings. Look at Fr. Seraphim Rose, he was a homosexual, but he left his partner and his lifestyle when he entered the Church, and rejected the homosexual lifestyle.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:37:43 AM »

Frankly, at this point, I'm happy I've got a bishop who isn't afraid to actually publicly take a stance.

God love Archbishop Job, but he was adverse to confrontation...

ETA: And aside from the Metropolitan, the two diocesan bishops (+Matthias and +Michael) to come out publicly in support of traditional marriage (aka hetero marriage) are both widowers.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:40:57 AM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 01:45:15 AM »

I'd always supported Mark Stokoe because I think we all owe him for the consistant campaign that thwarted the financial malfeasance and other errant behavior that characterized the OCA's Central Administration for nearly 20 years.  But, I haven't understood his strong opposition to Metropolitan Jonah, except I am critical of Met. Jonah's lack of tact when addressing serious matters, not that his positions are wrong, and his embrace of his corrupt predecessors, especially because he had to understand he was elected as the reform primate.  Never-the-less, while I've recently been told Mark Stokoe's deviant life style was common knowledge, though not know to me, the publication of his mother's death notice and the revelations therein, should preclude his membership on the higher councils of the church.  As for OCANews, it's still is a control for the need for administrative transparency, something for which all of our ecclisial jurisdictions could benefit.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:57:29 AM »

His Grace's actions (including the Holy Communion prohibition), which may not be so popular in the politically correct culture of today's America, yet hopefully, are popular among the Orthodox  faithful,  demonstrate a boldness for executing the responsibilities of the office of an Eastern Orthodox bishop, and are an example that the OCA's Diocese of the Midwest is once again blessed with a most honorable Chief Sheppard.  I think today is Bishop Matthias of Chicago's name day; "Our Master, and our Archierarch, Lord protect him, for Many Years."   Not-with-standing our opinions about Mr. Stokoe's life style, he has a good deal of support within the administrative circles in the OCA and the Midwest Diocese, and he operates a news site that enjoys a high readership.  It took a strong sense of the responsibilities of his episcopal office, to take this action against Mr. Stokoe.  Too many hierarchs today would have either ignored the problem, or resorted to Byzantine intrigue and privately passed word to one in the situation such as Mr. Stokoe, that his resignation for whatever reason he would want to publicize, would be welcomed.  But, no, His Grace took a clear and public stand consistent with the teachings of our Faith; "...This is the Faith of the Orthodox; This is the Faith that established the Universe."  These actions bode well for the success and progress of his episcopal tenure.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:59:15 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 05:10:14 AM »

His Grace's actions (including the Holy Communion prohibition), which may not be so popular in the politically correct culture of today's America, yet hopefully, are popular among the Orthodox  faithful,  demonstrate a boldness for executing the responsibilities of the office of an Eastern Orthodox bishop, and are an example that the OCA's Diocese of the Midwest is once again blessed with a most honorable Chief Sheppard.  I think today is Bishop Matthias of Chicago's name day; "Our Master, and our Archierarch, Lord protect him, for Many Years."   Not-with-standing our opinions about Mr. Stokoe's life style, he has a good deal of support within the administrative circles in the OCA and the Midwest Diocese, and he operates a news site that enjoys a high readership.  It took a strong sense of the responsibilities of his episcopal office, to take this action against Mr. Stokoe.  Too many hierarchs today would have either ignored the problem, or resorted to Byzantine intrigue and privately passed word to one in the situation such as Mr. Stokoe, that his resignation for whatever reason he would want to publicize, would be welcomed.  But, no, His Grace took a clear and public stand consistent with the teachings of our Faith; "...This is the Faith of the Orthodox; This is the Faith that established the Universe."  These actions bode well for the success and progress of his episcopal tenure.
But why for this and not for the fact that his whole position has been one big conflict of interest? That's what I don't like about this. I hate to speak ill of Bishop Matthias, but it just seems fishy- especially if it's true that there are other OCA officials who are openly gay or in some other unrepentant sin but haven't been disciplined.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 05:27:57 AM »

But why for this and not for the fact that his whole position has been one big conflict of interest? That's what I don't like about this. I hate to speak ill of Bishop Matthias, but it just seems fishy- especially if it's true that there are other OCA officials who are openly gay or in some other unrepentant sin but haven't been disciplined.

This was alluded and would be problematic.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 07:35:43 AM »

He also shared a cell, apparently, with Gleb Podmoshenski. The irony...
But yeah, I can see how formerly conservative Protestants get all excited over this stuff. It's actually what made them come into the OC. Who cares.

Agreed. The content of Bishop Matthias' letter is hardly new stuff to those of us brought up in the faith. Nor should it be surprising to any convert with a proper understanding of Orthodoxy and our moral teachings.

This is what he was taught by his parents at an early age, at his home parish of Christ the Savior in Parma,Ohio and as a Seminarian at Christ the Savior Seminary in Johnstown, PA. These words are what has been written in numerous pastoral letters over the past forty years of his priesthood by his Bishops in ACROD now of thrice blessed memory - Bishop John (Martin) and Metropolitan Nicholas (Smisko) and said teachings have been available online for years: http://www.acrod.org/readingroom/ethics. GOARCH links to the same teaching materials.

What is the big deal and why the rejoicing? It would be a big deal if he and Bishop Michael had said something different. There are plenty of other issues that are important to the Church as well, let's hear from our Bishops on them as well. I suspect that some of our conservative friends would not be as excited about those teachings as they are about the ones related to sex.
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »

Indeed.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »

Are we certain that the reason for Mark Stokoe's removal is his alleged lifestyle and not the ethics complaint brought against him concerning his publishing of allegedly stolen e-mails, which the OCA Ethics Committee said was a matter for Bp. Matthias to deal with?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »

Are we certain that the reason for Mark Stokoe's removal is his alleged lifestyle and not the ethics complaint brought against him concerning his publishing of allegedly stolen e-mails, which the OCA Ethics Committee said was a matter for Bp. Matthias to deal with?
Thank you for bringing this up. This actually makes more sense to me.
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »

Very interesting development in the OCA:

http://byztex.blogspot.com/2011/08/mark-stokoe-of-ocanews-removed-from.html

God love Vladyka Matthias! Axios! Grin

On the heels of His Grace's pastoral letter last week, reaffirming the Church's traditional stance on homosexuality, this is not surprising. His Grace definitely has a backbone!

Vladyka's pastoral letter:

http://www.midwestdiocese.org/news_110802_1.html

Note the last bulleted point in the letter.

The Orthodox Church has backbone! Smiley

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 02:22:13 PM »

If someone tried to defend lying as a perfectly natural action people would be just as up in arms about it as they are when homosexuality is given that pass. If everyone agreed that homosexuality is a distortion as much as hate or greed is, then there would be a lot less threads about it. Things are suddenly much less interesting when everyone agrees.

This is really the whole point, and it is why we get hung up on this issue. Not because we view it as a greater sin, or a greater issue, but because so many would minimize it.

Far more minimize usury (ie credit cards) than homosexuality.  There are dozens of canons about usury.  Where's the outcry about that?  Divorce numbers are obscene in this country.  While the Orthodox Church allows for such a thing, it is also patently clear that it is a sin and lamentable.  More Orthodox go to great lengths to defend divorce (esp. online vis-a-vis RCs) than who lambast this practice.

I agree with everything you've said, but how does that have any effect on how one should feel about homosexuality? All of those things are big problems, yes, and warrant discussion. Start one.

It's as if I said that the New England Patriots are a good football team, and you responded by saying, "but the Eagles are good, too!" This, while true, doesn't negate the fact that the Patriots are good. If I said, "the Patriots are undeniably going to win the Super Bowl", then there would be an argument, just like if I had said, "homosexuality is the gravest sin of our time, and the only one worth addressing", you would have an argument, but no one said this.

My point is that the way people go on and on and on and on (to the point where we once had to have a moratorium on homosexuality on OC.net!) is that while it may not explicitly be stated that it's the gravest sin, it is implicitly acted as if it is such.  Note that people such as myself, who do not deny and even actively say that homosexual acts are objectively sinful and against the law of God, get absolutely and utterly sick of hearing about it.  Who on here exalts the practice?  Who even brings it up in a positive light first?  The only time it is mentioned on here is in yet another post whereby we hear someone condemn it once again.

I ignore 99% of them.  For some reason, this one put me over the edge.
I can understand why. Someone brings up the idea that Mark Stokoe was removed from his seat on the Metropolitan Council for ethical reasons connected to the publication of possibly stolen emails and not for reasons tied to his alleged homosexual orientation, yet no one wants to address the ethical charges. The discussion of homosexuality goes on unabated.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »

Yeah, I'm ugly in real life, so thank goodness I'm gay!   Undecided

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
lost
Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »

but you are pretty in the picture  Kiss
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »

There are dozens of canons about usury.  Where's the outcry about that?

Please ask your parish to submit a resolution for consideration at the ACC AAC. Seriously.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:27:33 PM by tuesdayschild » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »

but you are pretty in the picture  Kiss
Photoshop does wonders.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »

You two bring the fun back after I leave . . . I so wanted to chime in with Ani Difranco with anecdote.

This is where the "discussion" about musicals began:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12518.msg614683.html#msg614683

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »

We are way off topic. I am locking this thread to consult with fellow moderators on what to do. Thanks, Second CHance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 02:49:15 AM »

I have split this thread into three:

1. This one will be limited to Bishop's Matthias' action in removing Mark Stokoe from his official positions on the Midwest Diocesan Council and the OCA Metropolitan Council.

2. Discussions about homosexuality and the Church have ben moved to a new thread: "Homosexulaity and the Church--was part of Re: Interesting development in the OCA" at http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38747.0.html

3. Discussion about lust and any other matter not germane to the original thread have been moved to "Lust and other matters--Re: Interesting development in the OCA" at http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38748.0.html

I realize that I may not have done folks justice in trying to bring some semblance of order to this maelstrom and I apologize for that. Second Chance

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 03:38:25 AM »

Apparently Mark Stokoe posted the letters from Bishop Matthias...
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 04:15:02 AM »

It seems that Mr. Stokoe was removed from his positions of responsibility because Bishop Matthias doesn't like his Web site, which--I guess--is certainly His Grace's prerogative if he thinks ocanews.org is a force for division in the Church. Whether I agree that his decision was proper or not is another thing.

Personally, I don't like Mark Stokoe's Web site, either. It served its original purpose of exposing the great OCA financial scandal of years ago, which could explain why Archbishop Job liked it, but I think it's degenerated into a vigilante rumor mill since then.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:19:27 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 04:16:47 AM »

It seems that Mr. Stokoe was removed from his positions of responsibility because Bishop Matthias doesn't like his Web site, which--I guess--is certainly His Grace's prerogative if he thinks ocanews.org is a force for division in the Church. Whether I agree with his decision or not is another thing. Personally, I don't like Mark Stokoe's Web site, either. It served its original purpose of exposing the great OCA financial scandal of years ago, which could explain why Archbishop Job liked it, but I think it's degenerated into a vigilante rumor mill since then.

I agree wholeheartedly...
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 04:25:58 AM »

Even the OCA's favourite Varvara has some opinions. Bit of a jumble and hard to follow.

http://02varvara.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/10-august-2011-moriak-lives-in-a-glass-house…-he’d-best-be-careful…/
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 05:14:38 AM »

I don't know for sure, I think all the Orthodox ecclesial jurisdictions in North America need far more openness in their administrative work of the church.  This is an evolutionary development since the 1970's as the hierarchy has marginalized the role of the laity in church administrative matters, at least the common laity, not so with the big donors who remain in the inner circles of power and are comfortable keeping everthing close to the vest.  The church is far too Byzantine in its non-Liturgial operations.  Don't ever forget, the financial malfeasance, right smack dab in the Central Administration of the Orthodox Church in America, existed for at least 19 years, from what we now know.  I would go so far as to say, without OCANews and the deligent determination of its editor, the OCA's malfeasance may have never been exposed and terminated. The GOAA had Orthodox Christian Laity (OCL) providing the news of administrative activities that were secretively conducted in the 1990's (+/-), but OCL has elevated its mission, and there is no regular source of information that the church does not wish to be known.  The GOAA had "Voithia" too, but its sponsor, GOAL (Greek Orthodox American Leaders), agreed to shut down with the forced resignation of Archbishop Spyridon (9/99).   For GOAA independent reporting, we have a Greek-American newspaper, "The National Herald," but the biases and yellow style (Old World) journalistic inclinations of its primary church reporter/commentator, minimize its benefits.   OCANews has been helpful in exposing AOCANA secrets too; and to some extent information about the Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese.  And lately, if OCANews hadn't exposed the data in the e-mails (so to speak), the truth would likely have remained in question (aside from whether you agree with the method of the publication of the information), and the OCA could have drifted back to its mode of operation that enabled the financial malfeasance.  Overall, I think OCANews serves a vital need as a source of information.  Even when contentious matters are revealed by the churches, it could be that they know something will get out due to OCANews' existence.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:16:16 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 05:32:23 AM »

Even the OCA's favourite Varvara has some opinions. Bit of a jumble and hard to follow.

http://02varvara.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/10-august-2011-moriak-lives-in-a-glass-house…-he’d-best-be-careful…/

Speaking of glass houses, maybe Stan/Vara should stop teasing Metropolitan Jonah about his weight.  Stan/Vara is not exactly a Bolshoi ballerina himself.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:32:53 AM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 06:17:33 AM »

So what was the point of the pastoral letter if this has nothing to do with his homosexuality?

Anyway, imo for better or worse probably a good thing he's gone, though for different reasons. It was great Stokoe was able to whistle blow where he was, but his presence in that capacity just screams conflict of interest.

Too bad the closest Church to me is OCA *takes a swig of vodka*
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:24 AM »

Here is the text of the letter to Mark Stokoe that is similar that in the public announcement:

"In the months that I have been administrator of the diocese and now its archpastor, I have observed the divisivness and the promoting of gossip that your website “Orthodox Christians for Accountability” provides. It is not a healthy vehicle for the Church. It has hampered Pan-Orthodox unity, and it has encouraged those who disrespect the clergy and the Church to express their disdain and sometimes outright hatred for the Church, the hierarchs, the clergy and its faithful.

As the archpastor of this diocese, I can no longer tolerate the existence of this website being administered by a member of the Metropolitan Council and Diocesan Council. Your representation on these Councils leaves the impression, whether correct or not, that I approve of your website, and I do not!"
http://ocanews.org/news/StokoeDismissed8.10.11.html

Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 07:58:51 AM »

And, here is some text that is not present in the public announcement:

"The final straw that “broke the camel’s back” for me was when you printed a lengthy article promoting homosexuality, written by an anonymous author. That article was a complete distortion of the Church’s teachings and twisted the canons of the Church to justify its position. If that isn’t bad enough, the author did not have the courage to put his name on the article. It appears to me that if someone cannot reveal temnselves in the light, they they are coming from darkness.

I can only hope and pray that someday you yourself will realize the harm this website brings to the Church and you will decide to close it down."

http://ocanews.org/news/StokoeDismissed8.10.11.html

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:00:02 AM by Second Chance » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »

Well, that makes sense then. Thanks. Good for Bishop Matthias  Smiley
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 10:48:10 AM »

Good job.

I don't understand where homosexuals want to be accepted in Christianity.

Abomination is abomination.  Period.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »

Speaking of glass houses, maybe Stan/Vara should stop teasing Metropolitan Jonah about his weight.  Stan/Vara is not exactly a Bolshoi ballerina himself.
Really?  The photo must be slimming then.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »

It seems that Mr. Stokoe was removed from his positions of responsibility because Bishop Matthias doesn't like his Web site, which--I guess--is certainly His Grace's prerogative if he thinks ocanews.org is a force for division in the Church. Whether I agree that his decision was proper or not is another thing.

Personally, I don't like Mark Stokoe's Web site, either. It served its original purpose of exposing the great OCA financial scandal of years ago, which could explain why Archbishop Job liked it, but I think it's degenerated into a vigilante rumor mill since then.
OOoooo! Did anyone feel the heavens shake?  That was PtA and I agreeing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »

Abomination is abomination.  Period.
Well, we are all abominations, no? Or are they especially more repulsive than us liars, usurers, those of us who are drowning in cesspools of lust, gluttons, murderers...

--
--
Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 11:01:15 AM »

They can be accepted just like gluttons, greedy, angry people. What they, nor any of the other mentioned, can't do is to try to change the teaching of the Church about their sins. It's like a doctor. Maybe he can even smoke. It's bad as it is, but you don't get his license for that. If he starts teaching people that smoking is harmless and in fact natural and even healthy, than he loses his license.

Go ma minions of modesty!
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 11:02:23 AM »

Good job.

I don't understand where homosexuals want to be accepted in Christianity.

Abomination is abomination.  Period.

As I have indicated above, all discussion on homosexuality and the Church must be held in another thread. The first part of this post is germane to this thread but the rest crosses the line. I am leaving it here, as well as two responses to the offending parts, as an example of what not to post here. Please cooperate in the future. Any violation will result in moderation for violating the following rule: "Keep Threads on Target -- For the forum-challenged, a thread is a sequence of postings, or messages, related to a primary topic.  For purposes of continuity and consistency, please keep ALL threads on target to their original purpose.  If you want to deviate, start a new thread." Thanks, Second Chance, Section Moderator
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:04:12 AM by Second Chance » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »

Frankly, at this point, I'm happy I've got a bishop who isn't afraid to actually publicly take a stance.

God love Archbishop Job, but he was adverse to confrontation...
No, just weary of it coming constantly, starting with his conversion.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: