OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:47:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magician Penn Jillette Says 'God, No!' To Religion  (Read 671 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: August 22, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »

The humble atheist? More humble than an agnostic?

"Jillette tells NPR's Neal Conan that critics of atheism often assume non-believers are arrogant people, but that's not necessarily true. You may not have to be brave or smart to be an atheist, Jillette says, but you do have to be humble. Atheists don't have all the answers, he writes, but they do have the humility to admit they don't know how the world was created, where humans came from or many of life's other mysteries."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »

"they do have the humility to admit they don't know how the world was created, where humans came from or many of life's other mysteries."
What?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »

He's one of the types that would love to have religion be abolished from the planet.

I remember how awful his segment on the Bible on Bull****! was, to use the self-refuting skeptic Michael Shermer was eyeroll worthy. I did enjoy the commentary of the other fellow on that show, don't know his name, who tried to support the positive and see certain things in the Bible in a different light. He was the fairest out of them all.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »

The humble atheist? More humble than an agnostic?

"Jillette tells NPR's Neal Conan that critics of atheism often assume non-believers are arrogant people, but that's not necessarily true. You may not have to be brave or smart to be an atheist, Jillette says, but you do have to be humble. Atheists don't have all the answers, he writes, but they do have the humility to admit they don't know how the world was created, where humans came from or many of life's other mysteries."
They don't know, but they known there is no intellegent design behind it.
Yeah, that's humble.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »

Like most, he is a poseur.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »

Like most, he is a poseur.

That's awesome.  I hadn't called anyone a poser since High School, then a week ago out of nowhere I called someone that (I think it was a fellow motorist).  This word should make a comeback.

As for the OP, I think this is just a sign of the times.  We are led by clowns and our intellectuals are magicians.  In the end they are all a pack of posers.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »

I read an interview with him about this book (I think also NPR). He was quite clear that in spite of his lack of belief in it, he thinks Christians have done a lot of good for the world, he even went so far to separate the Christians from the faux-Christians (groups like Westboro Baptist Church).

Also keep in mind that when he is on his TV show, he's a performer. Humble performers are boring. Just imagine his show if it was called "I humbly disagree", and after examining the issues he'd just say "Yeah I don't think it's true, but whatever". I guarantee you a 0 in the ratings.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »

Also keep in mind that when he is on his TV show, he's a performer. Humble performers are boring. Just imagine his show if it was called "I humbly disagree", and after examining the issues he'd just say "Yeah I don't think it's true, but whatever". I guarantee you a 0 in the ratings.
That's a good point.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:34:55 PM »

I actually like the man.  I certainly disagree with him on several issues, but by and large he isn't bad.  He tends to be right, and he has nailed the process for bringing information forth in an entertaining way.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »

I actually like the man.  I certainly disagree with him on several issues, but by and large he isn't bad.  He tends to be right, and he has nailed the process for bringing information forth in an entertaining way.

For as much as he loves to uses sophomoric rhetoric and label "fallacies" in his "critiques", he is usually as misinformed, engaging in exactly the same "fallacies" he is complaining about, and a bore on top of it.

I can see how many here would enjoy him.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: