OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 09:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy in Country of Georgia  (Read 901 times) Average Rating: 0
cstaff

Faith: Orthdodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 09, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »

My brother, who is an evangelical pastor, recently went to the country of Georgia to help spread the true "gospel" to the Orthodox of that country.  In his blog, he posted several terrible accusations about the state of Orthodox belief in that country.  As an example, my brother wrote that the Orthodox Church teaches that Jesus “is very angry because He died for our sins, and provided a way for us to be free from our sins, and he is angry that we haven’t dealt with our sins, gotten rid of our sinfulness.”  He went on to explain that any parishioner cannot pray directly to Jesus because of this disappointment and anger.  “Your only hope is to pray to others who have influence with Jesus – his mother, other venerated saints” who have Jesus’ ear.  In this way you may be able to get Jesus to answer or provide some kind of help."

Obviously, this is not Orthodox teaching and it upsets me that he would publish this as such.  Does anyone have any idea from whom he might have heard this in Georgia?  He claims that some of the young people in that country told him this is what they were taught.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:44:59 PM by cstaff » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »

Could you provide a link to this blog? I would very much like to read it.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
cstaff

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:31:11 PM »

Here's the link:

http://preacherhound.blogspot.com/2011/08/summer-days-in-tbilisi-georgia-6-2.html
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »

It's the normal rubbish many Evangelical missionaries spout whenever they go to "save" the Orthodox. Most people, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, are woefully ignorant of what their own religion teaches. That applies to pretty much any place you go to.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »

If the report is accurate, it sounds like some bizarre folk belief. That certainly is not Orthodox dogma.

My suspicion, though, is that this is a misunderstanding on your brother's part. I don't know if it's willful or not, but this is certainly odd.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:59:17 PM by bogdan » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »

It seems like that your brother mainly have got his information from georgian evangelicals. The fact that the date of the byzantine icon controversy is set to the 11th century shows that they have lack historical knowledge.
I hope that the georgian church will be able to guard and educate its flock.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »

Maybe your brother converts to Orthodoxy when the Georgians tell him the Church really teaches. Wink

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »

Maybe your brother converts to Orthodoxy when the Georgians tell him the Church really teaches. Wink
Let's make that our prayer! Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
cstaff

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »

Yes.  Please pray for my brother.  Thanks.
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »

The state of orthodoxy is not so good because many things however we shoul remember 70+ years of communism when in Russia from 5000+ Churches only hundreds remained, there was no religious education and such.
Taking people from Orthodoxy and moving them to evagelism is like taking them from Church of God and moving them outside and this is a sin for people moving outside orthodoxy and because evangelism does not have confession to erase this sin, people that went to Evangelism may end in Hell.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:42:50 AM »

Interestingly, as regards the Baptist Church in Gori, which is highlighted in the blog entry

First Baptist Church in Gori, near Georgia's border with Ossetia, last year baptized nine new believers, the church's first baptism service in a decade.

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=Gori+Baptist+Church&fr=slv1-ver&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=Gori+Baptist+Church&d=4515831951723724&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=a82a884b,f265337e&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=_U4v7MsgfAuMAVapBhB0JA--

That line is in an article dated June of this year, so the 9 baptisms (the church's first in a decade) occurred in 2010. It isn't indicated whether the 9 were previously Orthodox faithful or not, but - regardless - it certainly suggests that the inroads into Orthodoxy suggested by the blog are a tad less than significant in numbers. 

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 01:54:20 AM »

I read through part of the blog and found the same old lies that I often hear Protestants tell about my own Church.  I can give no credibility to a group that feels the need to lie about others to justify its own existence. 

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 02:54:59 AM »

I read through part of the blog and found the same old lies that I often hear Protestants tell about my own Church.  I can give no credibility to a group that feels the need to lie about others to justify its own existence. 
You should have listened to the chat I had with a Ukrainian Mormon missionary the other day   Cheesy

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 04:24:49 AM »

You should have listened to the chat I had with a Ukrainian Mormon missionary the other day   Cheesy

Now that sounds interesting Cheesy

-St Silouan the athonite
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »

My brother, who is an evangelical pastor, recently went to the country of Georgia to help spread the true "gospel" to the Orthodox of that country.  In his blog, he posted several terrible accusations about the state of Orthodox belief in that country.  As an example, my brother wrote that the Orthodox Church teaches that Jesus “is very angry because He died for our sins, and provided a way for us to be free from our sins, and he is angry that we haven’t dealt with our sins, gotten rid of our sinfulness.”  He went on to explain that any parishioner cannot pray directly to Jesus because of this disappointment and anger.  “Your only hope is to pray to others who have influence with Jesus – his mother, other venerated saints” who have Jesus’ ear.  In this way you may be able to get Jesus to answer or provide some kind of help."

Obviously, this is not Orthodox teaching and it upsets me that he would publish this as such.  Does anyone have any idea from whom he might have heard this in Georgia?  He claims that some of the young people in that country told him this is what they were taught.

Babadoxy mixed with Protestant bias=massive ignorance.

Many Orthodox are very ignorant of what they actually believe. This is not unusual when it comes to any religious group. It is, however, unfortunate, and I believe local Churches everywhere are doing something to fix this.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »

Tell me has your brother actually learned the Georgian language?  How does he really know what the average Georgian Orthodox person believes?
When i visited Russia or even Eastern Europe i heard about American protestant missionary teams who don't even know the language but come to "save" the Orthodox.
cstaff

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »

Tell me has your brother actually learned the Georgian language?  How does he really know what the average Georgian Orthodox person believes?
When i visited Russia or even Eastern Europe i heard about American protestant missionary teams who don't even know the language but come to "save" the Orthodox.

No.  He had an interpreter.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 11:21:09 AM »

No.  He had an interpreter.

Then there are about a million things that could go wrong.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 12:07:23 PM »

It's pretty telling that he ate at a McDonald's while he was there, and that that is what he was inspired to take a picture of.

Oh, and don't forget how it was impossible for Georgians to stop the veneration of icons because the monks were making so much money off of them and running such a racket...  Roll Eyes

Total garbage, even if there is truth to the folk sentiment they are still very ignorant themselves.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:07:48 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »

It's pretty telling that he ate at a McDonald's while he was there, and that that is what he was inspired to take a picture of.

Oh, and don't forget how it was impossible for Georgians to stop the veneration of icons because the monks were making so much money off of them and running such a racket...  Roll Eyes

Total garbage, even if there is truth to the folk sentiment they are still very ignorant themselves.

Cheesy

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 01:55:44 PM »

The glories of Georgia are attached.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »

The glories of Georgia are attached.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!

More like the coming of America, and they need an American Jesus to match the new dining options. Remember, he's not a stern judge, he's your boyfriend!
Tags: Georgian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: