OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 10:54:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Koliva question  (Read 3958 times) Average Rating: 0
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »

Fried mamaliga and strawberries! Sounds awful Smiley

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »

I had some koliva earlier this year that had a really heavy application of chili powder in it. Wasn't a fan.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »

Fried mamaliga and strawberries! Sounds awful Smiley
Indeed. Of course the mamaliga with the strawberries was the common warm mush rather than the fried type, but I don't think that was any better. Then again I've known English people make sandwiches with cheddar and strawberry jam so I guess it takes all sorts. Just as long as I don't offend anyone by turning down their food it's all fine by me.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
davinpa

Faith: catholic (trying to be well rounded)
Jurisdiction: Viva Papa

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »

In my place they make koliva using rice as it is difficult, in fact, nearly impossible to find wheat grains.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »

In my place they make koliva using rice as it is difficult, in fact, nearly impossible to find wheat grains.

Where in the world are you? Wheat seems to be an almost universal grain. Rice just does not have the same theological beauty as wheat.

Joseph
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »

Where in the world are you? Wheat seems to be an almost universal grain. Rice just does not have the same theological beauty as wheat.

Many parts of Russia, for example, cannot grow wheat, as it is too cold. Even rye struggles in some of the more rugged areas. Many Russians use rice instead of wheat for their kollyva, particularly those from the regions close to China, and those who did indeed come from China, such as the Harbintsy.

Wheat is the ideal, historically and otherwise, but sometimes one must make do with what one has. Better to make a sincere offering, even if the ingredients are not conventional, than make no offering at all.  police
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »

If you can't find wheat, does one also substitute another grain for making prosforo?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »

If you can't find wheat, does one also substitute another grain for making prosforo?

Never heard of that, even in Siberia. You import it.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: