OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 06:54:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fr Andrew Phillips, UK, on the Western Rite  (Read 1153 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: August 09, 2011, 04:46:33 AM »

Caveat:  this is not a pro Western Rite viewpoint

Thoughts on ‘Western Rite’

From Fr Andrew Phillips, UK

http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/westrite.htm

Introduction

All religions have rites. Rites are necessary because we are incarnate. The bodiless angels do not need rites, but we do. In other words, the outward structures of rites are necessary in order to hold the spiritual content of religion, just as our bodies are necessary in order to hold our immortal souls. It can be said that a rite is a glass; the content is the wine. It is clear which is more important.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »

Father Andrew have produced many rather good articles. I commend his moderate approach to Orthodoxy and his devotion to Western Saints which is sadly lacking in my own local churh. That said, I find this article not so convincing. I find it just a compilation of straw mans and bad arguments.

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »

This article officially got "pwned" (to use the parlance of our times) on this blog: http://frmilovan.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/thoughts-on-western-rite/.

You're spot on, Alpo. Nothing but strawmen and bad argumentation.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:54 AM »

He wants to be more Russian than Russians.
Rdunbar123

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:40:09 AM »

I seem to remember the words in Acts ".........if it is not of God, it will die out, if it is of God do we stand against God? ( paraphrase)
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »

I guess I am ambivalent about the place of the Western-rite.  I think the liturgical nuances of the western-rite, especially the Sarum revival being attempted by some has little socio-cultural connection to Western people.  The approach of the Antiochian Western-rite Vicariate in drawing on post-Reformation Latin Catholic tradition - Tridentine as lived by the Western Latin Church into ther 1960's offers a much closer cultural connection.

If we look at Australia, there has been a complete failure to connect culturally and spiritually with seekers, which is why the Western-rite has no parishes or missions in any of the major Australian mainland cities.  Whether Western-rite or Byzantine-rite, the Church's evangelism is increasingly to those who have minimal connection with the heterodox Christian history and culture of their country.  The success of the gay marriage movement among the unchurched mainstream has occurred on the back of an acceptance of non-marital conjugal life - de facto relationships where people simply choose not to get married.  That if course is closely tied to widespread acceptance of sex life outside of heterosexual marriage. 

Relevance to people's lives is what counts in evangelism.  I think this is why the 'Eastern' Orthodox have succeeded where Western-rite missions have been at best patchy.  People connect with people - and liturgical language, or whether a rite is Eastern in origin is pretty irrelevant.  A good pastor who can touch hearts and lives will have an impact in his community that will enable people to consider the Gospel and the Orthodox Church - whatever the rite.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: