Author Topic: Canon for Racial Reconciliation  (Read 631 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Canon for Racial Reconciliation
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:17:39 AM »
Glory to God for all the flowers in His garden

Tone 2

Ode I

Irmos: In the deep of old, the infinite power overwhelmed Pharaoh’s whole army, but the incarnate Word annihilated pernicious sin, exceedingly glorious is the Lord, for gloriously hath He been glorified.

Because “the Stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner”, the disparate races are conjoined again. (Ps 118:22).  Even as Christ commanded us to love the Lord thy God “with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength”, so He also called us to “love thy neighbor as thyself” (Mark 12:30), (Mark 12:31).  The sum of humanity’s reconciliation to God is voiced in one acclamation. Theotokos.  She who bears God.

https://desertfathersdispatch.org/canon-for-racial-reconciliation/
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
Re: Canon for Racial Reconciliation
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 12:25:48 AM »
 :-X
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpo

• Dirty Finn
  • Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:26:17 AM »
Something is not right here. Are there any parallel precedents? Are we to make Canons for all good things which just happen to occur to us?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 12:31:35 AM »
Something is not right here. Are there any parallel precedents? Are we to make Canons for all good things which just happen to occur to us?

No.  I haven't come across a Canon for Finding Money in the Dryer.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • Archon
  • St. Nephon the Ascetic Bishop
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 01:46:57 AM »

Ode 1

Irmos
After spreading his arms like a cross, Moses led Israel across the sea as on dry land to return to what was once promised to them. Let us, again, call upon our God.

Upon encountering that precious vessel wherein our raiment is dried again and made anew, remember the Lord and His words: "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." Recalling this His promise, draw near with no small fear and faith, spurning the man that buried his talent, and seek out your own, that it may be multiplied.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:53:04 AM by Antonis »
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 03:49:13 AM »

Ode 1

Irmos
After spreading his arms like a cross, Moses led Israel across the sea as on dry land to return to what was once promised to them. Let us, again, call upon our God.

Upon encountering that precious vessel wherein our raiment is dried again and made anew, remember the Lord and His words: "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." Recalling this His promise, draw near with no small fear and faith, spurning the man that buried his talent, and seek out your own, that it may be multiplied.

I hope there is mention of Christ's parable of the missing coin.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 08:59:55 AM »

Ode 1

Irmos

Saint Antonis the New Hymnographer pray for us
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »

Ode 1

Irmos

Saint Antonis the New Hymnographer pray for us

Amen!
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
Glory to God for all the flowers in His garden

Tone 2

Ode I

Irmos: In the deep of old, the infinite power overwhelmed Pharaoh’s whole army, but the incarnate Word annihilated pernicious sin, exceedingly glorious is the Lord, for gloriously hath He been glorified.

Because “the Stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner”, the disparate races are conjoined again. (Ps 118:22).  Even as Christ commanded us to love the Lord thy God “with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength”, so He also called us to “love thy neighbor as thyself” (Mark 12:30), (Mark 12:31).  The sum of humanity’s reconciliation to God is voiced in one acclamation. Theotokos.  She who bears God.

https://desertfathersdispatch.org/canon-for-racial-reconciliation/

We need reconcilliation.  The world is falling apart before our very eyes.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »
According to the link . . .
Copyright 1/7/2007 by Sts Cosmas & Damian Bookstore
So, I guess we need written permission to pray this canon.  :o

On a serious note, however . . . How does one use a canon? I know we have canons at various services, but for things like this, do you need a service in the church? Do people pray these on their own? Could a group of lay-people get together and pray a canon?
(I realize there are probably no regulations on prayer. I'm more asking what is normative.)
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »

I'm not sure I understand your question. 

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 12:22:21 PM »

You're the funniest man alive. ;D

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 01:09:33 PM »
Subscribing to laugh at Charles Martel's further comments.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »

Ode 1

Irmos

Very good.   You are truly a brilliant musical and poetoc mind.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!