OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:51:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy for the non-scholarly  (Read 1134 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: August 08, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »

I've noticed that a lot of the Orthodox books available on the market are written for -- how shall I say this? -- bookish people. This doesn't bother me very much, as I'm the kind of person who gets annoyed at books that don't have enough footnotes, but I have a couple of acquaintances/relations who are interested in Orthodoxy but -- while not being dumb -- have a hard time digesting concepts articulated at a level beyond what one would read at a college freshman level.

What literature would you recommend for someone who prefers something written for laymen without college degrees?

(And please no Gilquest or Gallatin. Seriously.)

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:32 PM »

Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy - Frederica Mathewes-Green

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »

If you are excluding the "aww shucks" literature, then I really don't know what to give you.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »

What's wrong with Gallatin?

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:22:49 PM »

What literature would you recommend for someone who prefers something written for laymen without college degrees?

Fr. Anthony Coniaris, Fr. Seraphim Rose, Met. Kallistos Ware, Met. Anthony Bloom, Olivier Clement, Tito Colliander, St. Justin Popovich, Fr. Stanley S. Harakas, Fr. Joseph Huneycutt, Desert Father literature, Fr. Alexander Schmemann, and Fr. John Meyendorff
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:23:11 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

Father Thomas Hopko's Rainbow Series is written in pretty simple language. So is These Truths We Hold from St. Tikhon's AFAIK.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »

If you don' want to read, listen to anything by Fr. Hopko, even if you disagree with some of his opinions he delivers them in a concise and easy to understand manner.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »

If you don' want to read, listen to anything by Fr. Hopko, even if you disagree with some of his opinions he delivers them in a concise and easy to understand manner.

This is a really good idea.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »

This is a really good idea.
Steve the Builder is pretty good too. Very practical, I enjoy listening to him. His SSA podcast was exceptional.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:45:56 PM by Aposphet » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »

Father Thomas Hopko's Rainbow Series is written in pretty simple language.
I had forgotten about these.

So is These Truths We Hold from St. Tikhon's AFAIK.
I did not know about this. I will look it up.

If you are excluding the "aww shucks" literature, then I really don't know what to give you.
A tall order, I know. :-/

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »

EDIT--Nevermind, my joke doesn't make sense now that you changed it from Bob the Builder...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:51:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »

EDIT--Nevermind, my joke doesn't make sense now that you changed it from Bob the Builder...
Ninja edit  police

– St. Ambrose of Milan
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »

I've noticed that a lot of the Orthodox books available on the market are written for -- how shall I say this? -- bookish people. This doesn't bother me very much, as I'm the kind of person who gets annoyed at books that don't have enough footnotes, but I have a couple of acquaintances/relations who are interested in Orthodoxy but -- while not being dumb -- have a hard time digesting concepts articulated at a level beyond what one would read at a college freshman level.

This is problem that I recognized when my sister-in-law was converting. I have started writing a simple introduction to Christianity geared towards those who do not like to read (99% of the American population). The rate I have been going with it (a chapter every 3 days). It should be ready for editing this fall and, my hope is to have it on shelves sometime in 2012.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:10:11 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Father Thomas Hopko's Rainbow Series is written in pretty simple language. So is These Truths We Hold from St. Tikhon's AFAIK.

All books by Fredrica Mathews Greene, especially "Facing East", and Fr. Hopko's Rainbow series which is paint by the numbers but he never talks down to you. Excellent for a newbie.

After that, even though it has an intimidating title: "Orthodox Dogmatic Theology: A Concise Exposition"
by Michael Pomazansky .  It is written very clearly.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »

Oh and if they really really hate to sit down and read, there is plenty Orthodox Radio on the net these days. I would send them to

www.ourlifeinchrist.com.

They have archived dozens of hour long presentations on all the hot button and basic topics. The two guys who produced them are very casual and the conversation is upbeat and decently entertaining.

www.Ancientfaithradio.com also carries Our Life In Christ plus dozens of other presentations. Send them there.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »

God's Revelation to the Human Heart by Fr Seraphim Rose is good for those a bit more on the philosophical side.

Learning to Pray by Metr Anthony Bloom would be good for anyone I think.

Everywhere Present by Fr Stephen Freeman is great for getting people thinking about the divine in a different way.
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »

One book I keep on my bedside table is by Fr. Anthony Coniaris, Introducing the Orthodox Church.
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 02:06:22 AM »

im not as much of a reader as i wish i was, but i just started reading "the mountain of silence" by kyriacos markides.  its not a super quick read, but its pretty easy to understand so far. (im only 2.5 chapters in...)

it has a lot of information about the church in the context of a story which is actually pretty interesting. its not textbook style at all.  check it out and read some reviews. it was recommended to me by a priest.

i listen to podcasts more often than i read though. i seem to digest the information better that way! i enjoy "the illumined heart" podcast, but there are many to choose from.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 04:31:34 AM »

All books by Fredrica Mathews Greene, especially "Facing East", and Fr. Hopko's Rainbow series which is paint by the numbers but he never talks down to you. Excellent for a newbie.

Even if he ain't thrilled with it anymore, the one strength is that there ain't one point in there he doesn't back up with Scripture. He ties everything to Scripture. Could help those who want "Bible based teaching", which should be everyone.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:31:51 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: