OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 08:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this actually Orthodox?  (Read 1351 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« on: August 07, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »

Or is Pasadi just being Pasadi again?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38628.msg616317.html#msg616317

Bear in mind that there is particular judgmenet and last judgement. at particular judegement the everything to that point is judged. At last judgement everything to the end of the world is judged. So if you left a water well and people drink water after your death you become in better standing. If you wrote poetry against God and people lost belief while you are departed you get into worse standing. So giving these to a Budhist temple where sick angels are praised for how many years can make your situation worse. So trash is best option in my opinion. I do see that you may be attached of them and that they are a part of your life, anyhow for future I believe is best option. That remainds me of my yoga books that I need to trash.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:17:05 PM »

I've asked the same question, but no answer:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38440.msg611598.html#msg611598

In regards to his water well, one can hope it doubles as a wishing well too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »

I have a LOT of questions about pasadi. Wink

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »

I don't know whether the statements in bold are Orthodox (the only one I'd hazard a guess on is the poetry one, which I'd guess is true), but pasadi is definitely Orthodox... just not the kind you normally meet online.  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »

I don't know whether the statements in bold are Orthodox (the only one I'd hazard a guess on is the poetry one, which I'd guess is true),
So you're saying God hands out brownie points? What if someone is saddened by the poetry and commits suicide? Does that count as murder?
but pasadi is definitely Orthodox... just not the kind you normally meet online.  angel
I'm not saying he's not Orthodox, just that he says questionable things.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »

I defy any of you to capture his / her voice.

I've been trying for a while and I think I nearly have it down.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »

So you're saying God hands out brownie points? What if someone is saddened by the poetry and commits suicide? Does that count as murder?

It can only be taken so far IMO--people have free-will, and the responsibility to not completely screw up their lives based on something someone else says--but I do think there is something to the idea. That Origen had some unorthodox ideas is one thing; that his ideas caused confusion, divisions, and turmoil for centuries afterwards is something different. While this verse is not directly applicable, think of: "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." (James 3:1)  If you're going to presume to teach someone, you better be prepared to face the consequences if you lead them the wrong way. I don't think that ends when your body is in the ground.

I'm not saying he's not Orthodox, just that he says questionable things.

Sorry, with that part I was responding to the question Aposphet asked in the other thread Smiley

bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »

I'm so confused.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 07:47:27 PM »

I'm so confused.

pasadi is a genius.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »

How about a writing contest where people submit pasadi-like essays, post them without identifying the authors, and vote whose writing style comes the closest? I joke, I joke.

ETA: I grammar nazi'd myself. (Who's vs. whose, page 21 of the Grammar Nazi Handbook)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:58:40 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:56:10 PM »

How about a writing contest where people submit pasadi-like essays, post them without identifying the authors, and vote who's writing style comes the closest? I joke, I joke.
I used to mod a forum where people actually did that to trollish atheists, though not anonymously. It was hilarious (and painful at the same time) to watch.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »

It can only be taken so far IMO--people have free-will, and the responsibility to not completely screw up their lives based on something someone else says--but I do think there is something to the idea. That Origen had some unorthodox ideas is one thing; that his ideas caused confusion, divisions, and turmoil for centuries afterwards is something different. While this verse is not directly applicable, think of: "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." (James 3:1)  If you're going to presume to teach someone, you better be prepared to face the consequences if you lead them the wrong way. I don't think that ends when your body is in the ground.
Hmm. I'll have to think about that.

Sorry, with that part I was responding to the question Aposphet asked in the other thread Smiley
Oh. Ok Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »

How about a writing contest where people submit pasadi-like essays, post them without identifying the authors, and vote who's writing style comes the closest? I joke, I joke.
I used to mod a forum where people actually did that to trollish atheists, though not anonymously. It was hilarious (and painful at the same time) to watch.

I was on a forum where if the arguments got really bad, we would post salmon recipes. This broke up the bad atmosphere (and made me hungry.)  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 08:04:21 PM »

I don't. I don't.

143 pas!!! ur d gr8st!! <3 4evs!!!!! LMK??
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:04:39 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »

How about a writing contest where people submit pasadi-like essays, post them without identifying the authors, and vote whose writing style comes the closest? I joke, I joke.

ETA: I grammar nazi'd myself. (Who's vs. whose, page 21 of the Grammar Nazi Handbook)

I'll run the whole the thing.

Pasadi, just say, whatever you say and I'll take it as a yes.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »

I was on a forum where if the arguments got really bad, we would post salmon recipes. This broke up the bad atmosphere (and made me hungry.)  Smiley
Maybe Congress can get alot more done following this route. Instead of salmon recipes they would have to swap mistress phone numbers.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »

Do you also analyze and imitate the writings of 12 year old girls in your spare time?

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »

Do you also analyze and imitate the writings of 12 year old girls in your spare time?
If so, it's missing Bieber.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »

I'll run the whole the thing.
Well, if you run it, you can't enter, and I'm sure that will be killing you inside.

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »

We'd just start making poop jokes. We were such a sophisticated bunch  laugh.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »

Again, no idea what you are talking about. Someone asked me the other day if I was trying to look like someone whose name I imagine is spelled that way.

I just naturally am the height of teen-age fashion.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »

Quote from: Aposphet
Maybe Congress can get alot more done following this route. Instead of salmon recipes they would have to swap mistress phone numbers.

Cheesy

I hope we'll get to see some good duke-outs like they sometimes have in the Parliament in South Korea. Some of those are on YouTube. More fun than a barrel of anything!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »

If I had to explain why I know how such girls write, you'd never believe me. In fact, I think I was just put on the sexual predators watch list for just saying that.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »

Again, no idea what you are talking about. Someone asked me the other day if I was trying to look like someone whose name I imagine is spelled that way.
LOL! I would take that as an insult (and a false one, too, unless you just got the Biebs cut, which in that case, we need photographic evidence).

--
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »

I find it hard to believe that someone as well-rounded as you has not encountered the genius that is Justin Bieber. Seriously. Here's a little vid showing off his expansive knowledge...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:19:25 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »

Were you wearing anything with the color purple?

If I had to explain why I know how such girls write, you'd never believe me. In fact, I think I was just put on the sexual predators watch list for just saying that.

On a side note, it's funny how he got caught twice on camera for cheating on his wife.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »

I find it hard to believe that someone as well-rounded as you has not encountered the genius that is Justin Bieber. Seriously. Here's a little vid showing off his expansive knowledge...
I'll take Rebecca Black thanks.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »

Love that show, even though it's so wrong. I can't help it.

And orthonorm, I know that you love Clueless. You don't need to justify your strange knowledge.

--
--
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »

LOL, the German video! His head will explode! You are genius.

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »

My solemn pledge, know nothing of it. Big disconnect with pop culture, especially music for a long time.

I can look at the "tabloids" at the check out area and have no idea WTF is going on.

Movies and serial TV are about the only stuff I keep up on or is even on my radar.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »

Again nothing.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »

An evil genius? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc3jMoFJrBQ (don't click in you're easily offended).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »

Again nothing.

How do you know what day comes after Saturday then?  Huh

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »

Again nothing.

How do you know what day comes after Saturday then?  Huh
That girl does not look like 13. I felt horrible when I found that out.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »

Who is Justice Beaver?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »

The worst judge the Supreme Court ever had.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »

An evil genius? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc3jMoFJrBQ (don't click in you're easily offended).
Oh, so bad! Ha!

--
--
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38628.msg616317.html#msg616317

Bear in mind that there is particular judgmenet and last judgement. at particular judegement the everything to that point is judged. At last judgement everything to the end of the world is judged. So if you left a water well and people drink water after your death you become in better standing. If you wrote poetry against God and people lost belief while you are departed you get into worse standing. So giving these to a Budhist temple where sick angels are praised for how many years can make your situation worse. So trash is best option in my opinion. I do see that you may be attached of them and that they are a part of your life, anyhow for future I believe is best option. That remainds me of my yoga books that I need to trash.

That sounds right. For example, you write an edifying book or do something good that lasts and after you're gone, people benefit and maybe some say, "God, remember the person who did this and grant him rest."

Likewise, you could create something evil that would harm people and create all sorts of problems. If you didn't repent, your suffering may increase.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »

The concept of particular judgment and last judgment is Orthodox. When we die, we pass the particular judgment, after which we wait our final state either in angst because we are heading towards hell, or in joy because after the resurrection we will be in Paradise. Apparently, some believe you can still be saved in the last judgment if many people manifest love toward you praying for you to God. It makes sense to me, but I don't know if this "post mortem" salvation is a theological opinion or a bona fide Orthodox belief.

That sounds right. For example, you write an edifying book or do something good that lasts and after you're gone, people benefit and maybe some say, "God, remember the person who did this and grant him rest."

Likewise, you could create something evil that would harm people and create all sorts of problems. If you didn't repent, your suffering may increase.

Particular and Last Judgments are Orthodox beliefs. When we die, we go through the particular judgment, after which we wait our resurrection in anxious expectation of hell or joyfull waiting of Heaven. Apparently, if enough people have love for you to pray for God for mercy, there is still chance that you may be saved, even after death. That is certainly in 2 Maccabbees, where people had been slain for worshipping idols and still the living pray for their salvation:

But under the tunic of each of the dead they found amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear. So it was clear to all that this was why these men had been slain. They all therefore praised the ways of the Lord, the just judge who brings to light the things that are hidden. Turning to supplication, they prayed that the sinful deed might be fully blotted out. The noble Judas warned the soldiers to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened because of the sin of those who had fallen. He then took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to two thousand silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin.
2 Maccabees 12:40-46
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:11:43 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »

I think there's some truth in what he says.

Matthew (18: 6-7)
“If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.  Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!"

I believe that if I stumble along the path, it's bad.  However, if I made someone else stumble along their path, it's far worse.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Petey

Jurisdiction: OCA (attending a geographically convenient Western Rite Church)

If you have to ask, it's probably a sin.

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »

Millstones aren't cheap anymore, I think I have an engine block on my front lawn that would be perfect.

"Forward, forward, Christian men! cross men! kingmen!" - St. Olaf's battle cry at the battle of Stiklestad
Tags: Last Judgment  good works 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: