OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:36:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Budhha statues  (Read 7726 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: August 06, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »

While I was still searching through the world religions I spent a great deal of time with buddhism. During this period I came to possess a number of Buddha-statues(seven actually) and a statue of the hindu god Ganesha.
I mostly bought them because they were pretty but now when I have found Orthodoxy I have come to realize that I cannot have in my room anymore, but I am not sure what to do with them. Should I sell them or just hide them somewhere?

Also I have a dreamcatcher hanging from the ceiling. Should I also take that down?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »

If you don't want them anymore, sell them on ebay!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »

You could dispose of them. [EDIT] That way you don't allow others don't make use of them.

Salaam leekum,
zekarja
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:45:56 PM by zekarja » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »

Buddha statues, I would remove somehow.

The dreamcatchers...I am always ambivalent about those. I used to own them but I've disposed of them since. I'm torn because they are truly beautiful and I wouldn't ascribe any sort of spiritual power to them. I own some jewelry with the mati (evil eye) symbol, but it's because I think the blue glass beads are pretty. Same with the Qur'anic verses I own -- they're more for the beautiful calligraphy than the verse.

I wouldn't put it near my icon corner, but I'm not sure that you should throw the dreamcatcher away if you happen to think it's beautiful and want to keep it up for an aesthetic purpose.

What I would do with certain items is that I would sit on it for a few weeks. Sometimes I would have a "weird feeling," and if I did, I would dispose of them. The jewelry and the calligraphy don't bother me, but certain other items did.

And of course, "ask your priest" is always applicable.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:52:58 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »

Personally, I would get rid of all the "pagan" symbols.

I agree with Zekarja.  I wouldn't sell them....because I wouldn't want to tempt others with them, and I wouldn't want to use the money I made off them, either.
I would just pitch them.

I was once gifted a bunch of stones which had "spiritual" powers attributed to them.  Amethysts, jade, quartz, etc.  I know these are all mentioned in the Bible so I had no issues with keeping them in a bowl on my dresser.  However, when I realized that people were truly attributing all sorts of powers to these stones....I decided that by simply displaying them, I might be advertising the same thing.  They now happily are resting at the bottom of my fish aquarium!  The fish love them!  They are doing wonders for them!

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »

I inherited from my grandparents a very beautiful Buddha statue of brass, about 18" high.    It was brought back from Burma in the war years by one of my great uncles and my grandparents used to use it as a doorstop!!!

But there is no way I could display this in my house even as simply an art object.  So it is at the back of a cupboard and hasn't been out for 20 years or more.  
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »

Donate them to a Buddhist temple nearby.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 04:23:25 AM »

Don't some Orthodox Churches have pictures of Greek Philosophers in the entrance or on the outside, as a testament to the Logos Spermatikos?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:11:43 AM »

Thank you for the advices. Smiley

I think I am gonna consider the options I have the next few days, but right now I think I will probably hide away in our hoarding.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
pasadi97
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:24:39 AM »

I think disposing them will be best. I did read several instances where Spirit of God will not visit a house having non orthodox items.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »

Honestly, I think that simply discarding the sacred images of another tradition is a bit disrespectful and extreme. If selling them doesn't feel right to you, the most respectful thing you could do is what Jetavan suggested: donate them to a nearby temple. After all, how would we feel if we knew that someone from another tradition was throwing Orthodox icons in the trash? Donating the statues to a temple would demonstrate respect for a tradition you once admired (or perhaps still do), and would remove what you deem to be a problem from your house. Everyone's happy!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 07:53:40 AM »

Honestly, I think that simply discarding the sacred images of another tradition is a bit disrespectful and extreme. If selling them doesn't feel right to you, the most respectful thing you could do is what Jetavan suggested: donate them to a nearby temple. After all, how would we feel if we knew that someone from another tradition was throwing Orthodox icons in the trash? Donating the statues to a temple would demonstrate respect for a tradition you once admired (or perhaps still do), and would remove what you deem to be a problem from your house. Everyone's happy!

You might be right there.
I could look around but there are not many temples in Denmark and it is not sure if I will even be able to find anybody who wants them, but of course i could try Smiley

-St Silouan the athonite
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:40:03 AM »

I could look around but there are not many temples in Denmark and it is not sure if I will even be able to find anybody who wants them, but of course i could try Smiley

Danish Dharma

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:52:05 AM »

A university with a history or religion department might be another option.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »

Thank you Smiley

Danish Dharma

-St Silouan the athonite
pasadi97
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

If you want to show respect for a religion that sends billion+ people to Hell, it is your option.

Bear in mind that there is particular judgmenet and last judgement. at particular judegement the everything to that point is judged. At last judgement everything to the end of the world is judged. So if you left a water well and people drink water after your death you become in better standing. If you wrote poetry against God and people lost belief while you are departed you get into worse standing. So giving these to a Budhist temple where sick angels are praised for how many years can make your situation worse. So trash is best option in my opinion. I do see that you may be attached of them and that they are a part of your life, anyhow for future I believe is best option. That remainds me of my yoga books that I need to trash.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:51:21 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »

If you want to show respect for a religion that sends billion+ people to Hell, it is your option.

Bear in mind that there is particular judgmenet and last judgement. at particular judegement the everything to that point is judged. At last judgement everything to the end of the world is judged. So if you left a water well and people drink water after your death you become in better standing. If you wrote poetry against God and people lost belief while you are departed you get into worse standing. So giving these to a Budhist temple where sick angels are praised for how many years can make your situation worse. So trash is best option in my opinion. I do see that you may be attached of them and that they are a part of your life, anyhow for future I believe is best option. That remainds me of my yoga books that I need to trash.

Don't worry I haven't given them away yet Smiley
Until so far I have gathered all the small statues in a box. I still need to find a place where I can place the big ones.

-St Silouan the athonite
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »

I would dispose of them, for the reasons zekarja and Liza give. On the issue of showing disrespect by trashing them, then you could try a more definite form of disposing of them that would mean the statues would not be used by someone else, nor would they be covered in rubbish. After all, there is a specific way of disposing of icons (by burning) which ensures the images of Christ and His saints are not trampled upon or dirtied - it is not considered disrespectful to destroy them. I don't know what your statues are made from, but whatever they're made of I am sure there will be a method of destroying them so their elements can be returned to the earth.

IC XC
NI KA
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »

In Deuteronomy 12:3 it says that people shouldn't destroy sacred idols
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »

Huh?

"And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »

Huh?

"And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place."

ok i was just testing  Wink

im looking for the place where it says that though....i know its there because thas why the Jews don't write the whole name of God down on paper because they can't destroy it.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

OK its verse 4 after that it says not to do the same thing to the Lord your God....destroy stuff etc...
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »

St. Vladimir ordered all pagan idols destroyed.  He is just one of many saints who have destroyed pagan idols.  I think that people are too caught up in treating all religions equally.  When Christ was zealous for righteousness, look what he did in the Temple!  He crafted a whip and overturned the money changer's tables!  When St. Nicholas had love for the Theotokos and zeal for his faith, he punched a heresiarch in the face! 

There is a difference between someone throwing Orthodox icons in the trash and someone destroying a Buddha statue.  The Buddha statue is a representation of a false religion.  The Orthodox icons are windows into heaven.  Now, you might say that "But, Buddhists think that their religion is right!"  Well, that's true.  However, Orthodoxy isn't just something people think is true, The Orthodox Church is the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church established by the Lord God, to be the Body of Christ.  It is the truth, Buddhism has a flicker of truth, but it is greatly distorted.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »

Oh, and one more thing.  St. Vladimir ordered the destruction of OTHER PEOPLE'S idols.  The Jews were ordered to destroy OTHER PEOPLE'S temples and idols.  There is a legend of Abraham destroying his father's idols.  Now, even saying that destroying idols is perfectly acceptable (even encouraged), one could still argue that destroying other people's stuff is still bad.  Evidently, many saints of the Church disagree with that argument; how much more so, then, must the destruction of idols by the person who owns them, be acceptable?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »

Oh, and one more thing.  St. Vladimir ordered the destruction of OTHER PEOPLE'S idols.  The Jews were ordered to destroy OTHER PEOPLE'S temples and idols.  There is a legend of Abraham destroying his father's idols.  Now, even saying that destroying idols is perfectly acceptable (even encouraged), one could still argue that destroying other people's stuff is still bad.  Evidently, many saints of the Church disagree with that argument; how much more so, then, must the destruction of idols by the person who owns them, be acceptable?

And where does this kind of thinking get us? Christians destroying Buddha statues and burning Qurans. Muslims burning Bibles and blowing up Buddha statues. And so on. There are respectful ways of dealing with the sacred objects of other traditions. You may think that an image of the man Siddhartha Gotama is an image of a demon, but I beg to differ (and I think perhaps others here would, too). This is the kind of divisiveness, intolerance and paranoia that has people turning from organized religion in droves. What would be so bad about donating these statues to a Buddhist temple? The Buddhists there might appreciate it. And if they are already in the clutches of demons Roll Eyes, then how would it do anymore harm to their already damned souls?

There is a difference between someone throwing Orthodox icons in the trash and someone destroying a Buddha statue.  The Buddha statue is a representation of a false religion.

I tend to think that Buddhists would feel differently about this. We don't live in Orthodox Greece or Russia. Most of us find ourselves in a rather secular and multicultural North America, and I believe that people peacefully practicing within different wisdom traditions should show respect for one another.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 09:24:58 PM »

Who teaches that?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »

Who teaches that?
Pasadi offers the best made up statistics on this board, bar none.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »

Do they end up above or below the smokers' department?

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »

Who teaches that?
Pasadi offers the best made up statistics on this board, bar none.
Only 80% of the time.
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »

You could just bury the statues underground. That way no other people can get a hold of them. Heck, if someone does it's more than likely going to be an archaeologist hundreds or thousands of years from now scratching their head wondering why someone would bury buddha statues.

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »

From Prayers by the Lake by St. Nikolai of Zicha:

All the prophets have from the beginning cried out to my soul, imploring her to make herself a virgin and prepare herself to receive the Divine Son into her immaculate womb;

Imploring her to become a ladder, down which God will descend into the world, and up which man will ascend to God,

Imploring her to drain the red sea of sanguinary passions within herself, so that man the slave can cross over to the promised land, the land of freedom.

The wise man of China admonishes my soul to be peaceful and still, and to wait for Tao to act within her. Glory be the memory of Lao-tse, the teacher and prophet of his people!

The wise man of India teaches my soul not to be afraid of suffering, but through the arduous and relentless drilling in purification and prayer to elevate herself to the One on high, who will come out to greet her and manifest to her His face and His power. Glorious be the memory of Krishna, the teacher and prophet of his people!

The royal son of India teaches my soul to empty herself completely of every seed and crop of the world, to abandon all the serpentine allurements of frail and shadowy matter, and then in vacuity, tranquillity, purity and bliss to await nirvana. Blessed be the memory of Buddha, the royal son and inexorable teacher of his people.

The thunderous wise man of Persia tells my soul that there is nothing in the world except light and darkness, and that the soul must break free from the darkness as the day does from the night. For the sons of light are conceived from the light, and the sons of darkness are conceived from darkness. Glorious be the memory of Zoroaster, the great prophet of his people!

The prophet of Israel cries out to my soul: Behold, the virgin will conceive and bear a son, whose name will be the God-man. Glorious be the memory of Isaiah, the clairvoyant prophet of my soul!

O heavenly Lord, open the hearing of my soul, lest she become deaf to the counsels of Your messenger.

Do not slay the prophets sent to you, my soul, for their graves contain not them, but those who slew them.

Wash and cleanse yourself; become tranquil amid the turbulent sea of the world, and keep within yourself the counsels of the prophets sent to you. Surrender yourself entirely to the One on high and say to the world: "I have nothing for you."

Even the most righteous of the sons of men, who believe in you, are merely feeble shadows which, like the righteous Joseph, walk in your shadow. For mortality begets mortality and not life. Truly I say to you: earthly husbands are mistaken when they say that they give life. They do not give it but ruin it. They push life into the red sea and drown it, and beforehand they wrap it in darkness and make it a diabolical illusion. There is no life, O soul, unless it comes from the Holy Spirit. Nor is there any reality in the world, unless it comes down from heaven.

Do not slay the prophets sent to you, my soul, for killing is only an illusion of shadows. Do not kill, for you can slay no one but yourself.

Be a virgin, my soul, for virginity of the soul is the only semi-reality in a world of shadows. A semi-reality until God is born within her. Then the soul becomes a full reality.

Be wise, my virgin, and cordially receive the precious gifts of the wise men from the East, intended for your Son. Do not glance back toward the West, where the sun sets, and do not crave gifts that are figmental and false.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 09:40:48 PM »

Stavros, firstly I never said that the Buddha's image is that of a demon.  I think it is more or less the image of Siddhartha, who was not a demon.  Secondly, I do not think other religions have sacred objects.  Thirdly, I am not suggesting that you go out and burn down synagogues, take a sledge hammer to Mosques, or put a stake through the Qur'an.  I am suggesting that you not support religious devotion to an idol.  Would you donate money to mosques or synagogues, or a Buddhist temple?  Would you offer to pay for a new building for them (assuming you had the money lying around)?  That is, essentially, what you are doing by donating the items to a Buddhist temple.

Again, I do not see how it is disrespectful to, in the privacy of your own home, dispose of your own property.  I am not saying you go up to a Buddhist man and say "Watch this!" as you smash the Buddha statutes.  I am saying you should dispose of idols.  As well, why would it matter if we lived in Greece or Russia?  Would living in an Orthodox society make it ok to destroy idols, while living in a multicultural society makes it wrong?  Is right and wrong determined by where you are?  If so, it isn't really right and wrong, but merely what society expects of you - and since when did the Church care about societal expectations?  Certainly the pagans of Russia didn't expect St. Vladimir to order the destruction of their idols, yet he did so nonetheless.  I do not see why it is disrespectful to dispose of idols if you aren't doing so with the goal of upsetting Buddhists.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »

Indeed, and we must also remember St. Vladimir lived under a form of causa regio eius religio. His subjects would have understood this implicitly even as they cursed his name.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 12:55:35 AM »

Of course, we're assuming that a statue is an "idol".

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 01:31:32 AM »

personally, i like the idea of batting practice

SCREW BON JOVI!
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 01:36:27 AM »

Personally, I would get rid of all the "pagan" symbols.

I agree with Zekarja.  I wouldn't sell them....because I wouldn't want to tempt others with them, and I wouldn't want to use the money I made off them, either.
I would just pitch them.

More agreement here and with James' post.  

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 01:41:18 AM »

I have a friend, a principal of a Catholic school.    With the post Vatican II distaste for some of the traditional statues in the classrooms, they were not sure how to dispose of them..... So they put them in sacks and battered them to death with baseball bats.

I thought it was a bit grotesque.  Sad
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 01:49:32 AM »

True, but those were presumably Christian statues.   

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 02:15:59 AM »

I think disposing them will be best. I did read several instances where Spirit of God will not visit a house having non orthodox items.
Did you see them on Ghosthunters, where they use all that fancy electrosensor equipment to pretend to sense the presence of spirits?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:16:36 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 07:43:25 AM »

Stavros, firstly I never said that the Buddha's image is that of a demon.  I think it is more or less the image of Siddhartha, who was not a demon.  Secondly, I do not think other religions have sacred objects.  Thirdly, I am not suggesting that you go out and burn down synagogues, take a sledge hammer to Mosques, or put a stake through the Qur'an.  I am suggesting that you not support religious devotion to an idol.  Would you donate money to mosques or synagogues, or a Buddhist temple?  Would you offer to pay for a new building for them (assuming you had the money lying around)?  That is, essentially, what you are doing by donating the items to a Buddhist temple.

Again, I do not see how it is disrespectful to, in the privacy of your own home, dispose of your own property.  I am not saying you go up to a Buddhist man and say "Watch this!" as you smash the Buddha statutes.  I am saying you should dispose of idols.  As well, why would it matter if we lived in Greece or Russia?  Would living in an Orthodox society make it ok to destroy idols, while living in a multicultural society makes it wrong?  Is right and wrong determined by where you are?  If so, it isn't really right and wrong, but merely what society expects of you - and since when did the Church care about societal expectations?  Certainly the pagans of Russia didn't expect St. Vladimir to order the destruction of their idols, yet he did so nonetheless.  I do not see why it is disrespectful to dispose of idols if you aren't doing so with the goal of upsetting Buddhists.

First of all, I apologize for replying as if to you only, James. I know you didn't say that Siddhartha was a demon. I should have parsed my response, as it wasn't all meant as a response to you specifically (but was also a reaction to other posts). Of course no one is suggesting that the original poster make a show of the destruction of these objects (I hope). Really, it is a matter of principle, though. I do find it a bit disconcerting how many are in support of destroying them (even going so far as to suggest using the objects for batting practice). But alas, I find many things written on OC.net to be pretty disconcerting.  laugh

The OP will do whatever he (or perhaps his priest) deems best now, so... have a nice day!

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »

I do find it a bit disconcerting how many are in support of destroying them (even going so far as to suggest using the objects for batting practice).

You have taken the opposite meaning from the intention of my post on the Catholics battering their statues into smithereens.  I wrote that I found it disturbing and grotesque.
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »

While I was still searching through the world religions I spent a great deal of time with buddhism. During this period I came to possess a number of Buddha-statues(seven actually) and a statue of the hindu god Ganesha.
I mostly bought them because they were pretty but now when I have found Orthodoxy I have come to realize that I cannot have in my room anymore, but I am not sure what to do with them. Should I sell them or just hide them somewhere?

Also I have a dreamcatcher hanging from the ceiling. Should I also take that down?

You can take them or mail them to a Main-Line Buddhist Temple. They will know how to dispose of them properly.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »

I just don't get how it is disrespectful to throw out a statue of some god that you happen to have in your own house.

I don't know much about Buddhism, and don't care to.  However, if I had a little fat statue of Buddha, I would immediately throw it in the trash.  No qualms about it.  It's a silly statue!  It has nothing divine in it or about it.  I can't believe this politically correct mentality afforded to pagan symbols - that are in your own, private possession.  Seriously?  How are you hurting some Buddhist's feelings, if he doesn't even know anything about you owning the statue?

If I met a Buddhist on the street, I would treat him with respect, as Christ taught us to love everyone.  However, I would not perpetuate their misguided beliefs.

I'm sorry, I would just throw it in the trash right along with the kitchen scraps, and not think twice about it.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »

I just don't get how it is disrespectful to throw out a statue of some god that you happen to have in your own house.

I don't know much about Buddhism, and don't care to.  However, if I had a little fat statue of Buddha, I would immediately throw it in the trash.  No qualms about it.  It's a silly statue!  It has nothing divine in it or about it.  I can't believe this politically correct mentality afforded to pagan symbols - that are in your own, private possession.  Seriously?  How are you hurting some Buddhist's feelings, if he doesn't even know anything about you owning the statue?

If I met a Buddhist on the street, I would treat him with respect, as Christ taught us to love everyone.  However, I would not perpetuate their misguided beliefs.

I'm sorry, I would just throw it in the trash right along with the kitchen scraps, and not think twice about it.

Truth. Or just leave them outside your front door in hopes to scare away JWs

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »

I do find it a bit disconcerting how many are in support of destroying them (even going so far as to suggest using the objects for batting practice).

You have taken the opposite meaning from the intention of my post on the Catholics battering their statues into smithereens.  I wrote that I found it disturbing and grotesque.

Sorry for the confusion, IH. I was referring not your post but to the following post:
personally, i like the idea of batting practice

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: