OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 09:26:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Should I Tell My Parents that I want to convert to Orthodoxy?  (Read 3166 times) Average Rating: 0
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »

it sounds like yr mum is being too tough with you. she has confused keeping control of you with true religion, which is why you (naturally) feel the need to move away.
i prefer the concept of omnipresence rather than panentheism (i had to look that up, it is not a traditional orthodox way of understanding) and omnipresence is discussed here in metropolitan kallistos ware (when he was still timothy ware) here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WpE8MwHLffEC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=omnipresence+orthodox&source=bl&ots=Ds4jGDaRQR&sig=zIk-5_58VKDYrh_aL6lW8b28yR4&hl=en&ei=AVdRTsqDE9KyhAe9l7T1Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=omnipresence%20orthodox&f=false

omnipresence means that although God is all and in all, He is still a distinct entity apart from His creation. so we can move towards an ever greater unity with Him (Theosis) but He still exists distinct from us. panenthesim tends to loose this distinction.
(correct me if i'm wrong, i'm a scientist not a philosopher)
may God continue to guide u, and let us know how is your orthodox visit.
 Smiley
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »

Martin Luther King gave dignity to African Americans for this life maybe 100 years. The leader that would move African Americans to The Eastern Orthodox Church will give people eternal life thus will be much much much higher than Martin Luther King. May God allow this to happen so that everybody will come to the right faith.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

I sort of eased up to the explanation. I had been interested in Orthodoxy for a few years, although it wasn't until 2010 that I went to a church. I started by telling my parents that I wasn't able to accept some things that were going on in my former parish in the Roman Catholic Church (small children becoming Eucharistic ministers, the use of Protestant hymns, the fact that our Confession room wasn't soundproofed and anybody could hear you if they were close enough). While I believed there were still some good people there, it didn't seem fitting for me to keep going to the same parish. Eventually I told Mom and Dad, "You know what church I've been thinking of going to? The Greek church..." I was worried they'd be angry, but they really weren't at all. They both smiled and seemed a little baffled, but not upset about it. They asked me some questions, but they never tried to get in my way.

I hope things improve for you as well.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 05:21:09 PM »

Hi everyone. I have good news.

This morning I went to (Catholic) church with both of my parents. The mass was okay. But just recently, my mother and I were having a random conversation and then she stated up how proud she was when I went to church with her (and my father). As a result, she'll one day take me to visit an orthodox parish nearby me. Then she later inquired about the orthodox church and how similar they are to Roman Catholicism, Anglicanism, Protestantism, etc. I went in to discuss the apostolic heritage it has with Rome, a bit of history, I even showed her some good websites if she wants to know more about orthodoxy. It was a nice conversation.

Today, I feel blessed that this just happened to me. I guess I need to stop being impious and stubborn when I want to explain something. I guess God can turn bad situations into good ones. Continue to pray for me. Smiley

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »

may God give you grace and peace as you come close to Him
 Smiley
GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »

Peace everyone.

Small news. Lately, my mother has access to my father's facebook page. I have a facebook page myself and on it I'm friends with my father. In addition, I have linked my facebook page to my tumblr and on tumblr, I've been posting re-blogging various quotes and written excerpts from various Orthodox saints. Previews of these posts have been showing up on my facebook wall.

A couple of times (the latest time being just now), my mother has called me to her room and asked where I got these quotes from. I told her that those posts were re-blogged from tumblr and that my facebook is linked to. She didn't mention anything else after that, but something in my heart tells me she's getting a bit suspicious towards my slow-paced journey into the Orthodox Church. After my scuffle with her last summer on my inquiry, I know how I feel inside when this has happens.

Being an inquirer, I'm not well-versed in talking Orthodoxy (who is these days?) with her due to her Catholic upbringing. What should I do when my heart tells me that something is up?

- GTA

the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 11:34:16 PM »

Perhaps a few things.

1. Pray before you "do" anything. Keep the issue in prayer, not asking for a specific sort of resolution, just that Lord have mercy, and His well be done. Pray also for your parents.

2. if you have not already done so, call or write an Orthodox priest, explain your situation and ask his counsel.

3. If you feel the tension racketing up, why not say a prayer, then talk to Dad and ask his counsel. Let him know your concerns, and where your heart is headed.

4. Find a saint…one whom your heart is attracted to, and if possible obtain his icon, and ask for his intercessions.

5. If a moment of confrontation with Mom arises, cross yourself, pray inwardly, and answer any questions calmly and respectfully. If the point is pressed, reassure her of your love, but let her know it is your intent at some point, God helping you, to inquire into Orthodoxy…whether sooner or later, that is what you will do, and there is nothing, so far as you know, that will change this, and if you continue to feel then as you do now, it is your intent to ultimately become an Orthodox Christian.

6. Bear whatever comes with humility, good or bad.

7. Any advice you get from anyone, especially from the internet, is best if double-checked with an Orthodox priest.

GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »

Thank you Seraphim.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »

It is not at all as hard as it seems. I am fifteen and I had to tell my ultra-Protestant parents that I was converting to Orthodoxy. They were not happy about it at all and still are not, but, they are doing nothing to stop me. I do have some pieces of advice though; take it slow. I just did not come out of the blue one day and say 'I'm converting to Orthodox Christianity' instead, about a couple months before my conversion I told my mother I was thinking of converting to Orthodoxy and might start attending a Parish. Chances are if you do this, your parents will have more time to come to grips on the topic. And, be sure you do not flaunt your intellect at them. I know that it is hard after you feel you have really found the truth and then you have parents following a heretical, distorted form of Christianity and you feel like rebuking them all of the time or being hostile when they ask you questions. But, do not, it will only make things harder. And one last bit of advice; do not mention your new faith very often in front of them. Only do it when you have to. I've noticed that whenever my parents are talking about some religious topic they may sometimes ask my input on it, then I give them an Orthodox answer and my mother gets irritated, rolls her eyes and says 'Well we believe so-and-so' and then I just leave the room.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

It is not at all as hard as it seems. I am fifteen and I had to tell my ultra-Protestant parents that I was converting to Orthodoxy. They were not happy about it at all and still are not, but, they are doing nothing to stop me. I do have some pieces of advice though; take it slow. I just did not come out of the blue one day and say 'I'm converting to Orthodox Christianity' instead, about a couple months before my conversion I told my mother I was thinking of converting to Orthodoxy and might start attending a Parish. Chances are if you do this, your parents will have more time to come to grips on the topic. And, be sure you do not flaunt your intellect at them. I know that it is hard after you feel you have really found the truth and then you have parents following a heretical, distorted form of Christianity and you feel like rebuking them all of the time or being hostile when they ask you questions. But, do not, it will only make things harder. And one last bit of advice; do not mention your new faith very often in front of them. Only do it when you have to. I've noticed that whenever my parents are talking about some religious topic they may sometimes ask my input on it, then I give them an Orthodox answer and my mother gets irritated, rolls her eyes and says 'Well we believe so-and-so' and then I just leave the room.

That is the moral of Orthodox.  We have an eternity in God's Grace, so we like the Church learn to readjust and "take it slow"

I applaud your wisdom from such a young man Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »

Thanks James and Habte.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: