Author Topic: St Anthony - St. Paul of Thebes Icon  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Stephanos Nikolaos

• Hosanna in the highest!
St Anthony - St. Paul of Thebes Icon
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
There is an icon that I've always wondered about what was going on and now that I've found an Orthodox community I hope I can get an answer.

What exactly is going on in this icon in the bottom left hand corner? Is St. Paul of Thebes about to hug St. Anthony? Why does St. Anthony look like he is shrugging? Please someone make sense of this icon for me.
“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29

Offline Cephas

• There is no spoon.
  • Elder
  • γνῶθισε αυτόν
Re: St Anthony - St. Paul of Thebes Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
What is happening in the left hand corner is just a smaller depiction of this icon:

The icon depicts the visitation of St. Anthony to St. Paul the first Anchorite.
Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony

Offline Stephanos Nikolaos

• Hosanna in the highest!
Re: St Anthony - St. Paul of Thebes Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
Thank you for the clarification, God bless. =)

Nicholas.
“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29