OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:08:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St Anthony - St. Paul of Thebes Icon  (Read 1639 times) Average Rating: 0
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« on: August 05, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »

There is an icon that I've always wondered about what was going on and now that I've found an Orthodox community I hope I can get an answer.

What exactly is going on in this icon in the bottom left hand corner? Is St. Paul of Thebes about to hug St. Anthony? Why does St. Anthony look like he is shrugging? Please someone make sense of this icon for me.

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »

What is happening in the left hand corner is just a smaller depiction of this icon:

The icon depicts the visitation of St. Anthony to St. Paul the first Anchorite.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »

Thank you for the clarification, God bless. =)

Nicholas.

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
Tags: St. Antony OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: