OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:01:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC - Dutch rethink Christianity for a doubtful world  (Read 993 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: August 05, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »

Dutch rethink Christianity for a doubtful world

"I think it's very liberating. [Klaas Hendrikse] is using the Bible in a metaphorical way so I can bring it to my own way of thinking, my own way of doing."

There's so much "yourself" and "me" in this article its farcical.

I'm not innocent of this and I've done a lot of it in my life as well... There comes a point, though, where it is just fantasy, it is delusional, to try and deface the truth and reform it according to our own desires.
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »

Theres so much wrong with this view of Christ.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »

Dutch rethink Christianity for a doubtful world

"I think it's very liberating. [Klaas Hendrikse] is using the Bible in a metaphorical way so I can bring it to my own way of thinking, my own way of doing."

There's so much "yourself" and "me" in this article its farcical.

I'm not innocent of this and I've done a lot of it in my life as well... There comes a point, though, where it is just fantasy, it is delusional, to try and deface the truth and reform it according to our own desires.

"Personally I have no talent for believing in life after death," Mr Hendrikse says. "No, for me our life, our task, is before death."

The fact that the priest says that is enough to let you know it is BS.  Wink

Forgive my sins.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 06:24:22 PM »

I read that during lunch today. 

I lost my appetite.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »

Did everyone miss the memo about our entire faith being in vain if Christ didn't rise?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Nero

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »

From the Article:

"I think 'Son of God' is a kind of title," she says. "I don't think he was a god or a half god. I think he was a man, but he was a special man because he was very good in living from out of love, from out of the spirit of God he found inside himself."

"His book, 'Believing in a Non-Existent God'...."

This is absolute heresy.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 09:03:53 PM »

From the Article:

"I think 'Son of God' is a kind of title," she says. "I don't think he was a god or a half god. I think he was a man, but he was a special man because he was very good in living from out of love, from out of the spirit of God he found inside himself."

"His book, 'Believing in a Non-Existent God'...."

This is absolute heresy.
I think it's a step above that. I wouldn't hesitate to call it blasphemous.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »

I think this shows where Protestant Christianity is headed. Give it a few generations and I think these views will be widespread, if not commonplace.

We need to pray that there are future Equals-to-the-Apostles and missionary saints waiting in the wings of God's will for the Western world, because I don't see anything less than large-scale re-evangelization being necessary. Lord have mercy. Undecided
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:13:26 PM by bogdan » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:18:25 PM »

It's easy to adopt a religion when you can make it whatever you want. Christianity-Lite.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »

Did everyone miss the memo about our entire faith being in vain if Christ didn't rise?

"If Christ was not raised, then all our preaching is useless, and your trust in God is useless." [1 Cor. 15:14]

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »

It's easy to adopt a religion when you can make it whatever you want. Christianity-Lite.

Protestantism?

Forgive my sins.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »

I just started reading it again now that I got home from work... some of these "pastors" don't even seem to understand Christianity.

Quote from: Mrs. Slattenaar

The latter half of the quote for this one is where I'm getting this. The idea that Jesus is "half God" and the fact that she says "I think he was a man" as if it is out of the ordinary to believe that, make me think she doesn't know about Christ being fully God and fully man.

Then next...

She says that there "is not only one answer" and complains that "a lot of traditional beliefs are outside people and have grown into rigid things that you can't touch any more".

Why isn't there only one answer? Because there's actually not, or because people don't want there to be? They're afraid of excluding others, or being excluded. Its not more real than being afraid of failing a math test and "deciding" "there's no real one answer." It has nothing to do with truth and everything to do with wanting to change reality.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 11:02:15 PM »

I think this shows where Protestant Christianity is headed. Give it a few generations and I think these views will be widespread, if not commonplace.

We need to pray that there are future Equals-to-the-Apostles and missionary saints waiting in the wings of God's will for the Western world, because I don't see anything less than large-scale re-evangelization being necessary. Lord have mercy. Undecided

Well, in a few generations they're going to do what the Unitarian Universalists did: Once they realise they're just making it up they will realise there's no imperative from within their self constructed way to identify as Christian or be bound by anything Christian any more at all.
Nero

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »

I agree. A Presbyterian minister once told my priest that his congregation is Presbyterian in name alone, and Unitarian in all other practices. The Presbyterian church will probably be gone within the next century, and the Methodist Church won't be far behind in the doctrinal confusion.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:17:19 PM by Nero » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: