OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 02:33:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Support invisible illness week 2 overcome discriminiation, founders r threatened  (Read 746 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »

Dear friends,

A fellow Christian is being discriminated against with major threats so that she is no longer participating in her invisible illness week event the way she normally would. Certain people/groups within the gay community are sending hate mail and threats to founder Lisa Copen. As I understand, they are making a fuss about being more discriminated against. I am still learning the details. Any person, gay, straight, or bi, who has ever faced discrimination in any form knows firsthand how evil discrimination is.

Those who have invisible illness sometimes face discrimination because people don’t believe them, don’t recognize that they have limitations, or other even more dangerous assumptions even in the medical community or they may face a lack of support from friends and family while going throw medical issues where another would receive support. Such a person may look fine one day and not be fine the next. They may be one medicine dose away from pain or major illness or death. They may spend their mornings in great discomfort before running off to doctors and then grin and smile when they greet their kid from school.

To those of you who are Christian, I ask that you who are Christian support her as a sister in Christ trying to use her ministry experience to do something good just as Christ would do. To those of you who are not Christian or who may be something other than straight, I ask that you support her on Facebook because I know that many of you are kind, caring people as good as any other. Although some of you may disagree with her on religious views, this event is not about throwing religion at people but rather showing love where people sometimes don’t see the needs that exist.

I am asking those of you who have facebook to like the Invisible Illness page, and consider sending an encouraging note to Lisa Copen telling her to keep fighting the good fight to end discrimination.

Here is the page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invisible-Illness-Awareness-Week/73460278538?sk=wall
You can also visit this site for more information on the event. http://invisibleillnessweek.com/

~Thought for the day: Do not be overcome with evil but overcome evil with good.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »

I'll be praying.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:39:35 AM »

What's this about?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »

Invisible illness?

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »

People who have pain and symptoms which come and go but do not seem sick to the average observer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_disability
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »

Oh you mean psycho somatic illness.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »

Sure, if diabetes, for example, is a psychosomatic illness.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »

I am not trying to be a jacka$$ but is this real?  I read the Onion a lot so I know that satire can be cleverly disguised, but they are mixing in real medical problems like Down's Syndrom and Fibromyalgia.  So, is "Invisible Illness" a real disease or is it just a joke term for Hypochondria or "Bad Blood" or something like that?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »

It's not a disease, it's a term for the idea that many people have serious, ongoing diseases/illnesses that aren't really apparent just from looking at someone. From their facebook:

"Invisible Illness Week, Sept 12-18 2011 is a time to increase awareness that about 1 in 2 people have a chronic illness, most of the illnesses invisible"

"To increase awareness that nearly 1 in 2 people have a chronic condition in the USA and about 96% of those people do not have visible signs of illness."

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »

In Orthodoxy, everything is psychosomatic or pneumasomatic.

Take your dualism elsewhere.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »

It's not a disease, it's a term for the idea that many people have serious, ongoing diseases/illnesses that aren't really apparent just from looking at someone. From their facebook:

"Invisible Illness Week, Sept 12-18 2011 is a time to increase awareness that about 1 in 2 people have a chronic illness, most of the illnesses invisible"

"To increase awareness that nearly 1 in 2 people have a chronic condition in the USA and about 96% of those people do not have visible signs of illness."

So wait, most illnesses are invisible except maybe the Elephant Man.  Why does awareness need to be made of it?  I mean, If I have hemorrhoids they will be invisible to the VAST majority of people.  And why are people who have invisible illnesses being discriminated against?  I am totally lost.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »

So wait, most illnesses are invisible except maybe the Elephant Man.  Why does awareness need to be made of it?  I mean, If I have hemorrhoids they will be invisible to the VAST majority of people.  And why are people who have invisible illnesses being discriminated against?  I am totally lost.
They aren't. Some gays in the Invisible Illness movement are trying to push Christians out of it.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »

I really dont understand the invisible illness thing really. Like Asteriktos said. Most illnesses are invisible.

This does bring up a question...Fibromyalgia, fake or real?

My vote, Fake
PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »

This does bring up a question...Fibromyalgia, fake or real?

My vote, Fake
PP
Sad Believe me, I would love it to be fake.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »

Fibromyalgia, fake or real?

My vote, Fake
PP

In virtue of what is a "disorder" "real" or "fake".

Phenomenologically for people suffering the constellation of symptoms which often are diagnosed as fibromyalgia, it is very real.

If your definition means knowing a single and distinct etiology, then diabetes is "fake".

The understanding of disease, syndrome, and disorder is not the area of the physician but of the thinker.

So before we can address this question, you must make clear what makes a disease, syndrome, or disorder real.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »

Perhaps I should clarify. Fake is probably not an accurate way I should have described it.

Yes, these people have pains and yes, I believe these pains are real.
However I do not believe that it is some mystery syndrome. Sometimes you hurt and that the way it is. Age, abuse, frailty, are all possible causes.

I just feel that today, "professionals" are too quick to slap a label on something and pump pills into a patient.
Therefore, "fake" would not be correct. More like "not a real disorder".

PP

Gregory the Great

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »

To add, per my comments to Robb, Orthodoxy doesn't look at illness overall as being solely a bodily concern as if it could be over and against the mind, heart, spirit, soul, bowels, (pick your favorite Scriptural synecdoche)  etc.

There are some interesting works being produced attempting to address the nature of illness as we have come to understand it throughout modernity to our contemporary times within the context of an Orthodox understanding of the body, that is to say, the whole person.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 02:33:19 PM »

Perhaps I should clarify. Fake is probably not an accurate way I should have described it.

Yes, these people have pains and yes, I believe these pains are real.
However I do not believe that it is some mystery syndrome. Sometimes you hurt and that the way it is. Age, abuse, frailty, are all possible causes.

I just feel that today, "professionals" are too quick to slap a label on something and pump pills into a patient.
Therefore, "fake" would not be correct. More like "not a real disorder".

PP

So as a clinician, you reject the possibility of a disorder that many people from the ages of 8 to 80 present with a tightly constrained constellation of symptoms which are persistent?

This is part of my wheelhouse and I would love to get into this in detail. Again, when we have more time. You are sorta right but for the wrong reasons. But in being right, the disorder still is not fake or not real.

You like history it seems, so this thread of discussion could interest you greatly. The subject certainly interests me.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:33:59 PM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

I understand where you are getting at with Fibro, but I have been through many tests and nothing has come back as positive. My "hurt" can keep me in bed in days from a simple shopping trip. Sure, I may be "frail," (I'm certainly not old and haven't abused my body that much) but I do want to keep learning about why I might have this condition or what I can do to alleviate it.

And other than OTC pills, for the record, I don't take any of that stuff. Adjusting to Fibro/CFS is an entire lifestyle adjustment, not really just swallowing meds.

I won't say that it's as good as true, since there is still being a ton of research done on it. But I am grateful that doctors are no longer dismissing me as depressed (and trying to give me THOSE pills, btw) or lazy. Believe me, I would give anything to function normally.

I know the testing is highly subjective, as it is an "invisible disease." But doctors are trying to find more ways to diagnose it, in addition to the tender points test. I really look forward to seeing what the field concludes on it.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »

My mom has fibromyalgia. She has been through physical therapy twice for injuries. I have seen her sleep 16 hours in a day after going out the day before. I have seen her be up most of the night in too much pain to sleep. There is a chemical released by the nerves I think that indicates pain, called by at least some "substance P." This substance is elevated in the blood of those with fibro. Also, some have found that at least some people with fibro have had actual nerve growth/activation. My mom's desensitized finger where the nerve got slashed years ago is more sensitive again than it initially was. Fibromyalgia is very real. It may also be linked, along with chronic fatigue, to stealth viruses. There is some research that was going on with this as well as some genetic predispositions that may occur In order for a person to be diagnosed with fibro, they MUST have some 10 or 15  trigger points of a set of specific trigger points with muscle spasms and reactions. It is not just in your head. It's in your whole nervous system. God have mercy on those who have it and keep those of us without fibro from ever having it.

You want a physicians answer, she has fibro. You want a thinker's answer, something is not right with her/her body. You want a daughter's observation, my mom has not been able to have a normal life for years, is often in pain, and takes pain medication more often than anyone should have to. You can philosophize reality as much as you want, but this is the reality that we live in. How much more real do you need?

Fibro is as real as chronic fatigue, which is as real as migraines, which is as real as chemical sensitivities, which is as real as asthma. I would be happy to elaborate on any of these if their realness is in question.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:47:28 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: