OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:29:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace for Grace: the psalter  (Read 1156 times) Average Rating: 0
OrthServ86

OC.net

« on: June 12, 2004, 09:37:42 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Sorry to be a bother to you all, I have been asking for reccomendations and reviews quite a bit lately, lol.

Anyhow, I would like some opinions from people regarding said book by Johanna Manley. I am in need of a psalter to purchase, and as I understand it, this book comprises the text of the psalter according to the seventy, though I wonder if it still divided into the proper kathismata?  I also understand it to be wonderfully illustrated and commented upon enlighteningly (the fathers' comments, that is), comments? Are there any other contents of note, and do you think it is worth the $40 US I would purchase it for (there is only one source I would be using, long story)?

Also, how does it compare with the plain psalter according to the seventy? What differences are there over all and do you think that the former text (ie Manley's) would still be useful practically as a psalter?

Thank you all for your time and comments  Smiley

peace,

-Justin

4Truth

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 02:29:11 PM »

The book you ask about would not be very useful as a "used for prayer" psalter, because each individual psalm is followed by the associated commentaries.  Yes, each psalm is labeled with the kathismata division.

We bought it -- and think the price for a "limited customer base" item like this is quite fair.  My only negative comment is about the physical construction.  Although a hardback book, daily use results in that "battered look."  (All of the books in this series are constructed the same.  Our "Bible and the Holy Fathers" is a wreck, and eventually will fall apart.)  (Protect a new volume with one of those cloth book covers, and you may forestall the inevitable!)  As one unable to read Greek or Hebrew texts, and able to translate Slavonic only with a dictionary, grammar book, and magnifying glass  Smiley , I'm very grateful for the English language commentaries that Mrs. Manley supplies with her books!    

The Psalter texts themselves are those of Holy Transfiguration Monastery (HTM).  For a "daily use" Psalter, I would also buy the HTM edition.  Other people on these boards have referred to it as bulky and unwieldy, but I do not find it so.  It's just the size of a regular "reading book."

If this doesn't give you enough info, I'll pull the books off the shelf and answer additional questions.

4Truth  

Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 09:52:43 AM »

I would endorse 4Truth's recommendation of the 'Boston' Salter. Mine has been with me for many years and is still in good shape. I regularly used to use one in Church for services and it to, despite daily monastic services, remains in good condition.

A good translation, well printed, bound and presented, a joy to look at and use.

It is afterwards that events are best understood
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: