OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 02:58:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The logical conclusion of legalizing abortion  (Read 1491 times) Average Rating: 0
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: August 04, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »

This article strikes me as a perfect example of why legalizing abortion is much more destructive of society than its proponents would have us believe. The fact is that, since the legalization and normalization of abortion, humanity can no longer make any claim to being sacred. It's not just the lives of the sacrificed infants that are not sacred; the value of our own lives has been devalued as well.

And since no one is sacred, it becomes much more easy to justify the treatment of this girl as she is paraded around and sexualized grotesquely in her tender youth. In light of the degree to which most of us can deceive ourselves, we are guaranteed to see more such behavior in the future.

The same holds true for other ethical and moral problems as well: in Europe, for example, it is much easier to euthanize someone or refuse them healthcare on the basis of cost. This is all made possible because we are no longer sacred.

This is the secular argument against unfettered abortion rights--we are no longer sacred--and there is now no depth to which we will not sink. Without the sacredness that God has given to our lives, there is nothing to protect us from our own self-degradation if we are rash enough to throw it away.

Far too much, far too young: Outrage over shocking images of the 10-YEAR-OLD model who has graced the pages of Vogue

"The provocative images of Thylane Lena-Rose Blondeau, who is tipped as the next big thing on the fashion scene, are causing a storm of controversy with campaigners furious that a child so young should be displaying the sexual allure of someone twice her age."

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:19:33 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »

"Respectable" people do such things to their kids on a regular basis without any uproar.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »

This article strikes me as a perfect example of why legalizing abortion is much more destructive of society than its proponents would have us believe. The fact is that, since the legalization and normalization of abortion, humanity can no longer make any claim to being sacred. It's not just the lives of the sacrificed infants that are not sacred; the value of our own lives has been devalued as well.

And since no one is sacred, it becomes much more easy to justify the treatment of this girl as she is paraded around and sexualized grotesquely in her tender youth. In light of the degree to which most of us can deceive ourselves, we are guaranteed to see more such behavior in the future.

The same holds true for other ethical and moral problems as well: in Europe, for example, it is much easier to euthanize someone or refuse them healthcare on the basis of cost. This is all made possible because we are no longer sacred.

This is the secular argument against unfettered abortion rights--we are no longer sacred--and there is now no depth to which we will not sink. Without the sacredness that God has given to our lives, there is nothing to protect us from our own self-degradation if we are rash enough to throw it away.

Far too much, far too young: Outrage over shocking images of the 10-YEAR-OLD model who has graced the pages of Vogue

"The provocative images of Thylane Lena-Rose Blondeau, who is tipped as the next big thing on the fashion scene, are causing a storm of controversy with campaigners furious that a child so young should be displaying the sexual allure of someone twice her age."

Why are you tying this specifically to the legalization of abortion, a political issue that will almost always get a thread moved to Politics, when the article itself makes no mention of abortion policy? If you wish to keep this thread here on the Public Forum, you would do well to connect the subject of this article to some more general cultural trend that isn't as politicized as the legalization of abortion. I'm sure you could find something.

In fact, I don't really see any cause-and-effect connection at all between the legalization of abortion and the hyper-sexualization of prepubescent youth. To me, abortion policy is part of a greater cultural degradation that has led to both the legalization of abortion and the hyper-sexualization of children. Investigate and talk about this greater cultural decay while avoiding the politics of abortion, and I think we can save this thread from getting moved to a location where many cannot follow.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:12:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »

May I suggest looking at postmodernism?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »

"Respectable" people do such things to their kids on a regular basis without any uproar.

Indeed.  We call them "child beauty pagents."

The Euros have nothing on this grand American pasttime.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »

I think this type of despicable parenting is more likely to lead to pedophilia and child molestation than abortion.

If sexualized images of children start becoming commonplace, Lord knows how it could affect people who are already teetering on the edge of doing something horrific.

These poor kids are being abused and should be taken away from their parents. Children are not playthings or dress-up dolls. I admit I've never heard of child beauty pageants, but I'd like to see Chris Hansen raid one with his camera crew.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:54:23 PM by bogdan » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »

I think its because people put too much emotionalism into what sex is and isn't that makes this difficult to see it outside of your religious views.

I dont think i said that clear enough but that's the best i can do.

Shes just a kid dressing up
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »

I think this type of despicable parenting is more likely to lead to pedophilia and child molestation than abortion.

oh flip here we go. That is like saying that a womans skirt length made the bloke rape her. Pedos are minging pedos whatever a kid wears.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »

oh flip here we go. That is like saying that a womans skirt length made the bloke rape her. Pedos are minging pedos whatever a kid wears.

I have to say I agree with her.  Pedophiles are attracted to children because they are children and want their victims to look like children.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »

I have to say I agree with her.  Pedophiles are attracted to children because they are children and want their victims to look like children.

Indeed. But even still. Children are not mentally prepared for the kind of rejection that is naturally going to take place in these "competitions". Give the kids their childhood for goodness sake.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 03:09:49 PM »

These kinds of pics end up hurting the young women, who will think that they need to wear makeup, do their nails, and pose for provocative photos as such a young age.  Sad

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

This has to be the most ridiculous title for a thread ever.

I can't but help to recommend The Disappearance of Childhood by Neil Postman too highly once again.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »

I think its because people put too much emotionalism into what sex is and isn't that...

Sex happens to be a very emotional topic--with good reason.

...makes this difficult to see it outside of your religious views.

Why would we want to divorce social and cultural issues from religious views??

Shes just a kid dressing up

But she isn't--that's the point. She isn't a kid going out for Halloween, she is a kid dressed and posed like a much, much older model--models which use sex to sell.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »

Indeed. But even still. Children are not mentally prepared for the kind of rejection that is naturally going to take place in these "competitions". Give the kids their childhood for goodness sake.

PP

Oh, please dont' think my agreeing with Poppy meant my endorsement of child beauty pagents.  I think they're one of the most heinous things in our present culture.

I just don't think sexualizing children leads to or encourages pedophilia.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »

PP

Oh, please dont' think my agreeing with Poppy meant my endorsement of child beauty pagents.  I think they're one of the most heinous things in our present culture.

'Sides that word gets thrown around too much by people who don't know what it means, which leads people to being labeled sexual predators for the rest of their lives because they had sex with a 16 year old when they were 21. And enduring the consequences once "free" as someone who raped a 10 year old.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

I just don't think sexualizing children leads to or encourages pedophilia

Absolutely not. My comment was out of exaspiration not chastisement Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »

Wait, some people think that that child is being put forth as some kind of sexualized mini-model? Let's set aside the fact that most normal adult males aren't going to find a kid sexy... even then, some people think that a child is being made to look sexy by giving her 2 pounds of ridiculous makeup, a dumb hair style, and a silly outfit? "sexual allure"? Give me a break.  Also... police

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »

^ Another very good point for another thread. I know people who have gone through that and they are blacklisted for life, even if not by the law anymore.

And yes, pedophiles aren't looking for children who look like adults, typically. I know I'm a pain, but I always correct people who say that sort of thing.

I can't stress enough that it's women who ultimately get hurt from this, because if sexualizing minors is normalized (and I believe it already is), there is pressure for us to stop being "kids" and dress like 20 year old pop singers before our menstrual cycles even begin.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »

That is probably true in most cases, but not all. There are any number of fetishes under the major umbrellas of sexual deviancy. ITSM, some homosexuals like super-effeminate men who look and act basically like women, and some like super-masculine men.

I don't think it's possible to say that all pedophiles like children who look like children, or that child sexualization will not nudge some number of people over the edge. Even if it's one person, it's one victim too many.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:30:41 PM by bogdan » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 03:36:17 PM »

Wait, some people think that that child is being put forth as some kind of sexualized mini-model? Let's set aside the fact that most normal adult males aren't going to find a kid sexy... even then, some people think that a child is being made to look sexy by giving her 2 pounds of ridiculous makeup, a dumb hair style, and a silly outfit? "sexual allure"? Give me a break.

yep
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »

Wait, some people think that that child is being put forth as some kind of sexualized mini-model? Let's set aside the fact that most normal adult males aren't going to find a kid sexy... even then, some people think that a child is being made to look sexy by giving her 2 pounds of ridiculous makeup, a dumb hair style, and a silly outfit? "sexual allure"? Give me a break.  Also... police

Then why:

1. Do parents do this to their children, if nobody finds it attractive except for the occasional creep? and
2. Do adult women put on the same—I agree—ridiculous makeup, dumb hairstyles, and silly outfits?
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »

Then why:

1. Do parents do this to their children, if nobody finds it attractive except for the occasional creep? and
2. Do adult women put on the same—I agree—ridiculous makeup, dumb hairstyles, and silly outfits?

Regarding 1, I think most parents just like showing their kids off and making a big production/deal out of the whole thing. A lot of parents get their kids into modeling as well, even though it's expensive, requires travel for many, and the kids have virtually no shot of actually going anywhere with it once they become adults. It's almost like a hobby for some though, and it probably makes them happy. If it doesn't make them happy (as with my family--my sister was involved in the modeling stuff somewhat), then they stop doing it. Regarding 2, I suppose some women do the same... models obviously (which didn't stop me from watching project runway for several seasons  angel), and I suppose there are some women out there who think they look better "all made up" (when they actually probably look great with 1/4 the makeup, or even no makeup at all). Though I totally acknowledge that this is nothing more than my subjective opinion. The stuff in this post, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:49:01 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »

PP

'Sides that word gets thrown around too much by people who don't know what it means, which leads people to being labeled sexual predators for the rest of their lives because they had sex with a 16 year old when they were 21. And enduring the consequences once "free" as someone who raped a 10 year old.

Another bit of proof that law doesn't take morality into account.  I was thinking about this yesterday.  The State would rather a 24 year old have sex with a 24 year old he wasn't married to than with a 16 year old he was.  Clearly the well-being of the 16 year old isn't taken into account because she could legally have sex with another 16 year old.  The Theotokos was rather young when She gave birth to our Lord, but in our messed up society St. Joseph would have been arrested and the Archangel Gabriel would have to explain the whole thing a third time.

And yes, paedophilia gets thrown about way too often.  By definition, paedophilia is the sexual attraction to children to exclusion.  A paedophile will not be attracted to an adult the same way he will be to a child.  Doesn't mean that people who rape kids shouldn't have stones tied around their necks and be tossed into the sea, but at least we could use the right term for them.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »

Doesn't mean that people who rape kids shouldn't have stones tied around their necks and be tossed into the sea, but at least we could use the right term for them.

Incinerator therapy is a guaranteed cure.  angel
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »

Then why:

#1 I dont think parents are do-ing anything to their children. I think kids like dressing up ...thas it end of. I think adults make it worse when they put more meaning to it than the kid has got in it. Some will just be bored and be like .....next. Others might make a creer out of it.

#2 (in the context of this thread and catwalk models) art
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:21:40 PM by Poppy » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »

Doesn't mean that people who rape kids shouldn't have stones tied around their necks and be tossed into the sea, but at least we could use the right term for them.

Incinerator therapy is a guaranteed cure.  angel

Matthew 18:6  Wink

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: