OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:20:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question regarding a recent Catholic icon...  (Read 846 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 04, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »

I remember coming across an icon that depicted a Roman Catholic saint what appeared to be a 20th-21st century man who wore a band around his bicep, I think it had something to do with him giving alot to the homeless or something, but he was canonized very quickly.

IIRC he was located in California, but I can't recall his name.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:40:39 AM »

I think that was one by the Benedictine who does weird and often creepy icons of people who aren't Saints or even Christians. I think the one you're thinking of was Harvey Milk, who was Jewish.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:41:09 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 02:01:58 AM »

I think that was one by the Benedictine who does weird and often creepy icons of people who aren't Saints or even Christians. I think the one you're thinking of was Harvey Milk, who was Jewish.

Jason is correct. I'm virtually certain that this is the one about which you ask. Robert Lentz, who painted it, is not a Benedictine, however. He is a Franciscan who, oddly enough, studied iconography at Holy Transfiguration in Brookline, MA (he apparently missed the classes on appropraiteness of subject matter).

The original of this and a variety of other 'odd' icons is to be found in Grace (Episcopal) Cathedral in San Francisco, I believe (the link is to the Cathedral's store).

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 02:04:50 AM »

Jason is correct. I'm virtually certain that this is the one about which you ask. Robert Lentz, who painted it, is not a Benedictine, however. He is a Franciscan who, oddly enough, studied iconography at Holy Transfiguration in Brookline, MA (he apparently missed the classes on appropraiteness of subject matter).

The original of this and a variety of other 'odd' icons is to be found in Grace (Episcopal) Cathedral in San Francisco, I believe (the link is to the Cathedral's store).

Many years,

Neil

I just had to go check my transfiguration icon from HTM to make sure he didn't write it...
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 02:16:55 AM »

I just had to go check my transfiguration icon from HTM to make sure he didn't write it...

Jason,

I wouldn't be concerned. I've never heard that any icons from HTM were written by Lentz. That he studied there is an odd fact that an Orthodox iconographer friend discovered a few years back.

Along those same lines, 'Abbott George Burke', the individual behind the infamous Monastery Icons (and its various other incarnations), also studied iconography there - as did at least one other of the Abbott's confreres.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 06:45:27 AM »

Ah, the Prots and wayward Catholic monks don't have a monopoly on weird or unholy painting which are painted in iconic style. Even Orthodox (don't pass out now folks) can go astray. How about 'st' joe as depicted here: http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?5591-Icon-depicting-Stalin

As my mom used to tell me, just consider the source!   Wink
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »

Yes, Harvey Milk, thanks! Strange icon indeed.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »

Whoah!  Your avatar almost gave me a cornea.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 03:36:11 PM »

Don't you already have two?  Huh Though it does call into question who the real ialmisry is...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »

I was hoping my custom title beneath my name would give you a chuckle. And the one beneath your picture.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »

Whoah!  Your avatar almost gave me a cornea.

Don't you already have two?  Huh Though it does call into question who the real ialmisry is...

I think he meant hernia. Or maybe he really did mean it (link - do not look if you are squimish... it's a artificial cornea procedure image)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:57:14 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »

Don't you already have two?  Huh Though it does call into question who the real ialmisry is...

I think he meant hernia. Or maybe he really did mean it (link - do not look if you are squimish... it's a artificial cornea procedure image)

You are awake for that operation. You have to answer questions from the Dr. Been there, done that, done that, done that......
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »

When I saw the name "Harvey Milk," I was like, "No way, they're joking."

Undecided Undecided Undecided

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »

You are awake for that operation. You have to answer questions from the Dr. Been there, done that, done that, done that......

Yep, that is why I will never have lasik. I watched the video... about the point where the can-opener (I'm not exaggerating!) pops down in all its horrific glory and slices the guy's eye open I was done considering that.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: