OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:21:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Orthodox Old Testament Commentaries  (Read 314 times) Average Rating: 0
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« on: August 03, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »

Hi,

I am currently in the process of reading the whole canon of the Holy Scriptures and I was wondering if someone could help me find some Orthodox resources on the Old Testament in order to avoid "individual interpretation".

Thanks.
Nicholas.

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

Hi,

I am currently in the process of reading the whole canon of the Holy Scriptures and I was wondering if someone could help me find some Orthodox resources on the Old Testament in order to avoid "individual interpretation".

Thanks.
Nicholas.

How is your Greek?

Joseph
Stephanos Nikolaos

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »

Sadly I'm not educated in Greek yet.

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:53 PM »

Here are some to get you started (I expect ialmisry to be by any time now with a hundred useful links from Google books Smiley ...

St. Augustine - Exposition of the Psalms
St. Jerome - Commentary on Daniel
St. Basil the Great - The Hexæmeron
St. Gregory of Nyssa - Commentary on Ecclesiastes

Patristic Quotes of Deuterocanonical Texts

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Stephanos Nikolaos

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:39 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ.

Thank you Asteriktos for providing the links to those resources. =)

*Waits for the prophesied hundred links.*

Nicholas.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: