Author Topic: One of my favorite books.  (Read 487 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Semi-Evangelical
  • Jurisdiction: Might become Orthodox
One of my favorite books.
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:36:47 AM »
The Abolition of Man by CS Lewis! I'm so glad Father Thomas Hopko recommends it and did this new podcast on it. http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko/the_abolition_of_man

It's a really powerful little book!
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: One of my favorite books.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
I haven't read that yet. Maybe I'll look for it.   :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:29 PM »
C.S. Lewis, "Our Father Almost Among the Saints." ;D

I love his writing, and Abolition of Man is a great work.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »
A wonderful book and prophetic of course. For those who haven't read it, it's not really a Christian apologetics book. It's basically about the needs of a universal truth and values, and Lewis symbolizes this by using the Tao. It's a short read but it is pretty dense.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Semi-Evangelical
  • Jurisdiction: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
I haven't read that yet. Maybe I'll look for it.   :)
It's pretty inexpensive.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman