OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 06:36:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christology of the Later Fathers  (Read 303 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »

A friend gave me this book years ago and I've only just cracked it open and realized how great it is. It's a nice compact volume which contains translations of St. Athanasius' On the Incarnation and also important theological writings of St. Gregory Nazianzen and St. Gregory of Nyssa. Its appendix also includes numerous important documents, including St. Cyril's 12 anathemas, the Tome of Leo, and the anathemas of the Fifth Ecumenical Council. It seems to me like an ideal introduction to the Fathers. So far I've On the Incarnation and I'll start on St. Gregory anon.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Yes, those are indeed the foundation Christological fathers.  I also recommend Saint Severus in order to help elucidate further on Saint Cyril who really builds upon Saint Athanasius.  I have all those things you mentioned on my hard drive and I read them more often then other patristic writings.

But your thread title is a bit confusing, it seems you really mean "early" or "golden age" Fathers because when I read later I was thinking something more like 10th centuries up until even modern era Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Yes, those are indeed the foundation Christological fathers.  I also recommend Saint Severus in order to help elucidate further on Saint Cyril who really builds upon Saint Athanasius.  I have all those things you mentioned on my hard drive and I read them more often then other patristic writings.

But your thread title is a bit confusing, it seems you really mean "early" or "golden age" Fathers because when I read later I was thinking something more like 10th centuries up until even modern era Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I believe by "later fathers" they basically mean Nicene and after. I agree that this is rather early too.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: