OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 10:01:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons of the Holy Councils of Ephesus II and Ephesus III?  (Read 666 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »

Are there any icons of the Holy councils of Ephesus II or Ephesus III? I doubt there are, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

All answers are appreciated,
Severian
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:14:12 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »

Tangent moved here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25425.msg613904.html#msg613904

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »

When I visited the Romanian Orthodox monasteries in Nothern Bucovina, I remember seeing wall murals of the Ecumenical Councils, but can't remember if Ephesus 2 & 3 were depicted or not.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »

When I visited the Romanian Orthodox monasteries in Nothern Bucovina, I remember seeing wall murals of the Ecumenical Councils, but can't remember if Ephesus 2 & 3 were depicted or not.

If would be interesting taking into account that they are not considered to be ecumenical by the Eastern Orthodoxy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:45:26 PM »

lol

Ephesus 2 and 3 are not recognized by your Church.  These are strictly OO councils (anti-Chalcedonian in nature).

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »

OK, then there would not be icons of these councils in Eastern Orthodox churches: I was thinking of Nicaea  1 & 2.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »

It makes me wonder though, if someone were to commission an Icon of Ephesus II would it be appropriate to depict the Bishops with halos considering that they betrayed Saint Dioscorus? Huh

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »

It makes me wonder though, if someone were to commission an Icon of Ephesus II would it be appropriate to depict the Bishops with halos considering that they betrayed Saint Dioscorus? Huh

Good point...

Let's just say that if you have the icon of St. Dioscorus surrounded by bishops around him (without the halos), then you have an icon of the council itself.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: