OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 01:18:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just need to beat a dead horse but Anonymous Gospels in the Orthodox Church..  (Read 428 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 03, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »

I've heard it say that it doesn't matter if Matthew, John or Mark wrote their Gospels but if the Church considered these documents written by the Apostles and the Church is the ground and pillar of truth, doesn't that make the Church seem like they lied about who actually wrote the Gospels? Why would they attribute anonymous documents under the names of the Apostles? Or is the liberalism of today's scholars not be trusted in the tradition of the Church?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:52:09 PM »

the Church considered these documents written by the Apostles

Only because the people who knew the apostles documented and passed down who they were from.

Or is the liberalism of today's scholars not be trusted in the tradition of the Church?

The same ones that can't figure out with any certainty whether or not Jesus was real, or if He was, how He went form a humble rabbi/ violent seditionist to the God Who is to be worshipped?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »

I've heard it say that it doesn't matter if Matthew, John or Mark wrote their Gospels but if the Church considered these documents written by the Apostles and the Church is the ground and pillar of truth, doesn't that make the Church seem like they lied about who actually wrote the Gospels? Why would they attribute anonymous documents under the names of the Apostles? Or is the liberalism of today's scholars not be trusted in the tradition of the Church?

They contain the teachings of those Apostles. In the old days, that is the way that it was done and there was nothing shady about it. Have you noticed that the actual titles are "The Gospel according to.."? (my emphasis)

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »

Why would they attribute anonymous documents under the names of the Apostles?

Everyone makes mistakes Wink
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »

To the best of the knowledge of the Church of the time they were written by the Apostles, so even if they were written by children in a sweatshop in the third world and then transported to the past with a time machine it would not be a case of the church lying about their origins.
The Church put considerable time and effort into figuring out which were pseudopigraphical and tossing them aside.

I've never seen or read anything to indicate they were not written by the attributed apostles, if you're meaning Ehrman's book, I think it has been discussed here how loose he was with the word "forgery". Under his definition if you write something on a computer and print it off, it's a forgery since you didn't actually put it to paper.

And as has been mentioned, the full names of the gospels include the "According to...."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »

Lots of writers or officials have an assistant to help them. If the Apostles got a deacon to help them write down something, so what?  Huh It wouldn't invalidate the content. I think there are some folks out there who would not be satisfied until somebody brings them video footage of the Apostles when they were preaching.  Wink

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: