OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:20:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romanian Chant - Anyone know what this is?  (Read 3744 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr.Kyrillos

« on: August 02, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »

This video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e7B0kJLwcs

At about the 10:30 mark, the priest starts chanting a very unique and beautiful hymn while he anoints the faithful. Anyone know what this is and what the hymn is?

Fr. Kyrillos
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »

It sounds like it might be the hymn "O Pure Virgin..." by St. Nektarios that this priest has put his own twist on. We need a Romania speaker to be sure.

Joseph
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »

It sounds like it might be the hymn "O Pure Virgin..." by St. Nektarios that this priest has put his own twist on. We need a Romania speaker to be sure.
Not at all; it's some other paraliturgical stuff that I didn't hear before ("Dumnezeul cel sfint a venit pe pamant"). I don't like it that much.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »

Not at all; it's some other paraliturgical stuff that I didn't hear before ("Dumnezeul cel sfint a venit pe pamant"). I don't like it that much.

Do you have a rough translation?

Joseph
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:03:28 PM »

It sounds as though many are chanting along with the priest giving the impression that it is at least a well known hymn in that parish.  The melody didn't sound like anything I heard before but I assumed it was something unique to the Romanian tradition.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:50:36 PM »

this:
'Dumnezeul cel sfint a venit pe pamant'
means 'the Holy God, came to earth'.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print