OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 07:49:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex roomates icons  (Read 521 times) Average Rating: 0
Claire

Faith: Russian Orthodox (as of Aug 26th)
Jurisdiction: ?

« on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »

I am not sure where this would go so I put it here hoping this is right. Basically I live with 2 girls and we all share the rent. I am really good friends with the one girl. She is orthodox and I am in the process of becoming orthodox so we go to church together and we talk about religion. The 3rd girl was also Orthodox but she was never friendly to us. She never wanted to pay rent and she keep asking us for money saying that since everyone is orthodox we basically owe it to her. Well she moved out but left her stuff. She keeps saying she is coming back but at this point she has 2 weeks or we will through out her stuff.

Getting to the point - what should we do with her Icons? I feel badly for them sitting in the hallway waiting for her but I am not sure if I should put them with my Icons (I am afraid that they would be considered stolen if did that). I also do not want to through them out.

Is it appropriate to ask a Priest if I can donate them to the church if she never comes back? She has a very nice          Saint Ana icon.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »

If she is forfeiting her property, I don't see a problem with doing whatever is respectful with the icons, including asking your priest if he would like to add them to the parish collection.

Whatever you decide to do with them if she never comes for them, don't simply discard them. Icons should never been simply thrown away, but when an icon is damaged beyond repair, it should be respectfully burned, and the ashes buried where they will not be trodden upon.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »

If she is forfeiting her property, I don't see a problem with doing whatever is respectful with the icons, including asking your priest if he would like to add them to the parish collection.

Whatever you decide to do with them if she never comes for them, don't simply discard them. Icons should never been simply thrown away, but when an icon is damaged beyond repair, it should be respectfully burned, and the ashes buried where they will not be trodden upon.

Agreeing with Benjamin.  Another possibility is donating them to a new mission parish. 
Claire

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »

Thanks, I was not sure if I should ask him or not. I thought he might think it was weird. Although he knows what is going on with this girl.
Claire

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »

Agreeing with Benjamin.  Another possibility is donating them to a new mission parish. 
[/quote]

That is a good idea I even know of a church being built not that far from me.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »

Does the third girl have a family that you can contact or just send the icons to without comment? Failing that, I'd go with donating to a parish that needs icons.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: