OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 11:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO Icon Veneration  (Read 3104 times) Average Rating: 0
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« on: August 01, 2011, 11:35:11 PM »

So I saw a man that, while venerating an icon, kissed it and then tapped his forehead to the icon as well. Not to pigeon hole anyone but the gentleman looked Ethiopian though he was in the OCA parish I attend. He did it multiple times and on each icon. Has anyone heard of this practice of tapping the forehead on an icon? Is it an OO practice? What is the significance?

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:49:44 PM »

So I saw a man that, while venerating an icon, kissed it and then tapped his forehead to the icon as well. Not to pigeon hole anyone but the gentleman looked Ethiopian though he was in the OCA parish I attend. He did it multiple times and on each icon. Has anyone heard of this practice of tapping the forehead on an icon? Is it an OO practice? What is the significance?
Tapping the forehead? I am not sure. But in Coptic parishes sometimes the faithful will touch an icon with their fingers and then kiss their fingers, rather than kissing the icon directly. Otherwise, sorry, I don't know.... Undecided

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »

Doing a google search showed that Muslims tap there forehead on the Koran after kissing it but nothing on the Orthodox, Oriental or otherwise ....

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »

Yep, I have seen this done by Russians in my parish.  It always seemed to be a sort of reverence towards the person/scene depicted.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23:20 AM »

Probably similar to touching your head to the ground during a prostration. Doesn't a metanya symbolize touching the ground with your forehead?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:28:04 AM »

I do this.  I don't know why, I don't know if I was ever taught to do it, I've just always done it.  And it is not uncommon in the least, in my experience.  I've seen people do it in OO and EO parishes.

I've also seen people kiss their fingers and then touch objects like hard-to-reach icons or crosses.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:28:23 AM by Aram » Logged
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:37:19 AM »

Hi dear, Smiley I am just a laywoman of the church, by no means an authoritative voice, yet here is what I know and understand it to be. It’s a way of showing reverence and asking for blessing with this way of connecting the forehead to the icon, to the hand cross, while prostrating to the ground, or when one is encountering a holy relic that can be kissed, one connects the forehead then kisses or sometimes vice versa.  The Amharic word for the act of lowering oneself in humility ‘ rasin ziq madreg’  ras  meaning head. The geez is’ atseneno re’es ’ in Amharic when one says myself  one says ‘ rase’ himself ‘erasu’  this ofc has a lot of variation . as it applies here though is  lowering oneself in humility , asking blessing  with reverence with the involvement of the forehead. I hope others will add to this.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:41:10 AM »

Also the priest's hand.  We kiss it and then touch our foreheads to it.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 12:42:23 AM »

Yes, I do that sometimes.

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 12:46:27 AM »

Yes, this as well.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 12:48:30 AM »

I've seen this done in our OCA church as well.
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »

Something similar is done in the Syriac Orthodox Church. In this video people are venerating probably the Gospel, kissing it and touching their foreheads to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7Dp6aELzM

The Antiochian Orthodox parish in Vienna. Metropolitan John is distributing icons to the faithful at the end and they kiss his hand and touch their foreheads to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqzlGs5VGJg
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »

Interesting. Thanks for the responses!

lost
Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

Hi dear, Smiley I am just a laywoman of the church, by no means an authoritative voice, yet here is what I know and understand it to be. It’s a way of showing reverence and asking for blessing with this way of connecting the forehead to the icon, to the hand cross, while prostrating to the ground, or when one is encountering a holy relic that can be kissed, one connects the forehead then kisses or sometimes vice versa.  The Amharic word for the act of lowering oneself in humility ‘ rasin ziq madreg’  ras  meaning head. The geez is’ atseneno re’es ’ in Amharic when one says myself  one says ‘ rase’ himself ‘erasu’  this ofc has a lot of variation . as it applies here though is  lowering oneself in humility , asking blessing  with reverence with the involvement of the forehead. I hope others will add to this.

hello Hiwot, nice icon... what is it of?
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:45:31 PM »

Selam,Lost:)
Thank you.It depicts the Transfiguration of Our Lord on Mt Tabor. General hint on the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church iconography: when they do not have the halo around the saints one way to differentiate the saints from the nonbelievers is by looking at the manner their face is depicted, the saints always are shown with both eyes and their full face mostly visible, while the nonbelievers are depicted always with half of their face invisible. Why is this? Well the iconography is meant to show those who do not believe in Christ are not fully human, those who are in union with Our Lord are fully human those that have their humanity restored to them in Christ, they become fully human both in the likeness and image of God. while the nonbelievers retain only the image and not the likeness since they did not believe in the Incarnation and refused to unite themselves with Christ.

Selam Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 02:18:50 PM »

Some Finns do it. It must be a Russian custom.
Tags: icon  Veneration 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: