OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:38:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Orthodoxy teach "infant faith?"  (Read 2121 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« on: August 01, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »

I've been struck by how literally some Orthodox authors seem to take Luke 18:16.
But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Doesn't "little children" even extend to infants? Is it possible that some infant baptisms at least are accompanied by faith on the part of the infant?

Also, how does Orthodoxy read Psalm 71:5-6?
For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.
By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:01:12 AM »

I often see infants who cry during all the Liturgy and stop right before taking the Eucharist. They have faith, I'm sure.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:02:40 AM »

I've also seen infants that don't start to cry until they're about to receive. Maybe they're infant heretics?
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 04:05:10 AM »

I've also seen infants that don't start to cry until they're about to receive. Maybe they're infant heretics?
Jim Henson's "Docetist Babies," coming this Fall.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:20:59 AM »

In your Church?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:27:55 AM »

In your Church?

No in somebody else's church.  Roll Eyes
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:28:18 AM »

I often see infants who cry during all the Liturgy and stop right before taking the Eucharist. They have faith, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:29:19 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »

I've been struck by how literally some Orthodox authors seem to take Luke 18:16.
But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Doesn't "little children" even extend to infants? Is it possible that some infant baptisms at least are accompanied by faith on the part of the infant?

By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.
"No man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit" I Cor. 12:3.

Earlier in Luke the Holy Spirit fills St. John the Baptist in the womb and he, with his mother Elizabeth, acknowledge Christ as Lord while Jesus and St. John were in the wombs.

Infants receive the Holy Spirit in baptism.

So of course infants have Faith that Jesus is the Lord, as the Holy Spirit is not dependent on the power of the infant.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »

The life of St. Rumwald of Buckingham may be illuminating on this matter. (Albeit, I expect most here would dismiss it.)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumwold_of_Buckingham

In the Vita, Rumwold's mother is described as a pious Christian who, when married to a pagan king, tells him that she will not consummate the marriage until he converts to Christianity; he does so, and she becomes pregnant. The two are called by Penda to come to him when the time of her birth is near, but she gives birth during the journey, and immediately after being born the infant is said to have cried out: "Christianus sum, christianus sum, christianus sum" ("I am a Christian, I am a Christian, I am a Christian"). He went on to further profess his faith, to request baptism, and to ask to be named "Rumwold", afterwards giving a sermon. He predicted his own death, and said where he wanted his body to be laid to rest, in Buckingham.
Wow, talk about "out of the mouths of babes." Well, I certainly can't rule out such a miracle.

As an aside, I wonder if this is the source of the Hadith wherein Muhammad did something similar at birth.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »

The life of St. Rumwald of Buckingham may be illuminating on this matter. (Albeit, I expect most here would dismiss it.)

Illuminating in the sense that there is a precedent for an infant confessing the faith in a fully developed human language? I suppose so, though it would be hard to argue from his case that all infants are similarly able to express or understand the faith in ordinary language. They might understand it in a non-linguistic fashion, but how would we test that? We could extrapolate from this example that with supernatural intervention such is possible, but then don't we already hold that all things are possible with God?
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »

I don't think God would use him as some kind of puppet to make a confession which had no actual faith behind it. Obviously there was true (sublingual) belief there.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:47:45 AM by Volnutt » Logged
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:19 AM »

In any case, I thought the traditional doctrine surrounding infant baptism is that infants are held to the promises of their confession through the surety of their godparents, i.e. they are bound to the promises because those with complete authority over them, their parents and godparents, made them. So even though the infant did not make the promises himself, he is still responsible for keeping them.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 10:50:11 AM »

I don't think God would use him as some kind of puppet to make a confession which had no actual faith behind it. Obviously there was true (sublingual) belief there.

Well I never said he was a puppet. I'm just saying I don't see how individual miracles like this, assuming they are genuine, can be used to argue that all infants are ordinarily capable of this kind of faith. As my previous post suggests, the traditional way of explaining the manner of the baptized infant's faith suggests the infant was not normally considered capable of this kind of conscious profession of faith.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »

Well I never said he was a puppet. I'm just saying I don't see how individual miracles like this, assuming they are genuine, can be used to argue that all infants are ordinarily capable of this kind of faith. As my previous post suggests, the traditional way of explaining the manner of the baptized infant's faith suggests the infant was not normally considered capable of this kind of conscious profession of faith.
If he wasn't a puppet, what was the incident? God gave lingual expression to something which would normally be only sublingual. The faith was not altered, only the way it was (temporarily) expressed.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »

If he wasn't a puppet, what was the incident? God gave lingual expression to something which would normally be only sublingual. The faith was not altered, only the way it was (temporarily) expressed.

I see your point. But perhaps the miracle also lies in bestowing a precocious intellect on the infant child, so that the child is not only able to express his faith linguistically, but even to have the kind of conception of faith that is normally only possible among those who are much older?
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 11:01:42 AM »

That's what I meant to say. You're more articulate than me, I guess.  laugh
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »

What does the life of St. Rumwald of Buckingham have to say on this matter? Could you post his hagiography here?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »

Wow, talk about "out of the mouths of babes." from the pens of hagiographers.

Fixed that for you Smiley
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »

I have to say that post had me literally (I mean literally) crying in laughter for almost five minutes. My co-workers thought I was having a seizure.

I was just trying to imagine what the reaction of a parent would be to the situation.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »

I have to say that post had me literally (I mean literally) crying in laughter for almost five minutes. My co-workers thought I was having a seizure.

I was just trying to imagine what the reaction of a parent would be to the situation.

Probably depends on their socioeconomic class. Inner city welfare mom may just slap the kid with a "Shut yo' mouth". Suburban yuppy would go into a trance, dreaming of college scholarships and employment at the most prestigious legal or financial firms.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »

Coincidentally, we were just talking about a 2 year old who cries and fusses every Sunday right up to the moment she gets communion. Then she always stops .

I think kids see the lights coming out of the Chalice. 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »

Probably depends on their socioeconomic class. Inner city welfare mom may just slap the kid with a "Shut yo' mouth". Suburban yuppy would go into a trance, dreaming of college scholarships and employment at the most prestigious legal or financial firms.

Bitter are we?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »

I have never heard the expression "infant faith" and I don't know what it means.

But we do know, because the Saviour tells us, that every child has an angel to protect him and that angel is constantly gazing on the face of God in heaven.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »

Bitter are we?

Well sweet isn't funny.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »

I have never heard the expression "infant faith" and I don't know what it means.

But we do know, because the Saviour tells us, that every child has an angel to protect him and that angel is constantly gazing on the face of God in heaven.

Where does the Savior tell us this?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 06:17:20 PM »

Well sweet isn't funny.

143 <3!1!!!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »

I saw that a few times this past Sunday.   angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Hmm, perhaps, but lets take something into consideration.  Only the Protestants believe that we receive the Grace of God out of our own force of will or decision making.  They say you can't baptize infants because folks must chose to be baptized.  We disagree, Baptism is  Mystery, its a matter of Grace which is free, not earned or decided upon.  We can AGREE and COOPERATE with God's Grace but we really do not chose them, we are invited and we can only accept.  So really while we can't understand it, (after all its a Mystery Wink ) even these infants in their Baptisms are both involuntarily receiving the Grace of God and yet also cooperating with God's Will just as we all do whenever we ourselves receive any of the Divine Mysteries as they do.  After all, while we may feel like we decided or desired to say, receive Holy Communion, truly it is a Gift of God's own invitation, and we only cooperate and accept, and if anything God's Spirit put that same desire or decision into our hearts in the first place! Its not a matter of human will, but Divine Will. 

The infants than do not necessarily need faith or wisdom or discernment, but I also would not be so naive as to assume they have no such capacities simply because they not have the agency yet to explain themselves. Frankly we don't know WHAT infants think or feel aside from our gut interpretations and assumptions, so perhaps they are more theologically sound than we are!  My cat doesn't speak English, but surely she feels, thinks, knows, and even communicates these with me.  Infants to than perhaps can think and feel and communicate these with God beyond our comprehension of it Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »

Hmm, perhaps, but lets take something into consideration.  Only the Protestants believe that we receive the Grace of God out of our own force of will or decision making.  They say you can't baptize infants because folks must chose to be baptized. 
You do know, I hope, that I agree with your post. However, in fairness to many of our Protestant friends - and especially those who join us here - it needs to be pointed out that many Protestants do baptize their infants. While each denomination may have a slightly different reason for doing so, the general idea is still that God will work through the faith of others and that parents have a responsibility to bring their children into the Christian faith as they understand and practise it.

Methodist, Presbyterians, and Lutherans are among those who baptize their infants.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »

Meh, maybe I'm a rube but I don't see any reason to doubt it outright.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »

Hmm, perhaps, but lets take something into consideration.  Only the Protestants believe that we receive the Grace of God out of our own force of will or decision making.  They say you can't baptize infants because folks must chose to be baptized.  We disagree, Baptism is  Mystery, its a matter of Grace which is free, not earned or decided upon.  We can AGREE and COOPERATE with God's Grace but we really do not chose them, we are invited and we can only accept.  So really while we can't understand it, (after all its a Mystery Wink ) even these infants in their Baptisms are both involuntarily receiving the Grace of God and yet also cooperating with God's Will just as we all do whenever we ourselves receive any of the Divine Mysteries as they do.  After all, while we may feel like we decided or desired to say, receive Holy Communion, truly it is a Gift of God's own invitation, and we only cooperate and accept, and if anything God's Spirit put that same desire or decision into our hearts in the first place! Its not a matter of human will, but Divine Will. 

The infants than do not necessarily need faith or wisdom or discernment, but I also would not be so naive as to assume they have no such capacities simply because they not have the agency yet to explain themselves. Frankly we don't know WHAT infants think or feel aside from our gut interpretations and assumptions, so perhaps they are more theologically sound than we are!  My cat doesn't speak English, but surely she feels, thinks, knows, and even communicates these with me.  Infants to than perhaps can think and feel and communicate these with God beyond our comprehension of it Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
[/quote]Thanks. I actually agree with both of you  Smiley.
Mivac

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »

Concerning Psalm 71:5-6, how do you compare it to the John the Forerunner leaping in the womb of his mother when the Mother of the Lord came?  Does such a reaction indicate a level of faith of an unborn infant?
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »

Hard to say. I've heard it interpreted that way, but also just as a pure miracle without John being consciously involved.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »

Hard to say. I've heard it interpreted that way, but also just as a pure miracle without John being consciously involved.

Let me guess: by some protestant taking the "plain meaning" of the scripture as his hermeneutical framework?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »

Actually, I seem to recall an Orthodox speaker saying that (though Protestants also). My memory isn't to sharp here though  laugh.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 10:51:17 PM »

Actually, I seem to recall an Orthodox speaker saying that (though Protestants also). My memory isn't to sharp here though  laugh.

It is certainly contrary to the "plain sense" of the passage.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 10:53:47 PM »

Agreed.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 10:54:43 PM »

From Vespers for the feast of the Nativity of St John the Baptist:

You were shown to be a prophet and Forerunner from your mother's womb, O John, Baptist of Christ, leaping up and rejoicing within her when you beheld the Queen, bearing the Timeless One who was begotten of the Father without mother, coming to her handmaid and to you, who shone forth from a barren woman and an elderly man according to God's promise.

Elizabeth conceived the Forerunner of grace, and the Virgin conceived the Lord of glory. Both mothers kissed each other, and the babe leapt up, for within her womb the servant praised the Master. And the mother of the Forerunner marvelled and cried out: "How is it that the Mother of my Lord should come to me? May He who has great mercy save a despairing people!"

From the Litia:

Today Elizabeth gives birth to the ultimate prophet, the first of the apostles, the earthly angel and heavenly man, the voice of the Word, the soldier and Forerunner of Christ, who leapt up beforehand in token of the promise, and before his birth proclaimed the Sun of righteousness; and she rejoices. Zechariah is astonished in his old age, putting aside his silence like a bond imposed upon him; and as the father of the voice he prophesies: "For you, O child, shall be called the prophet of the Most High and shall go forth to prepare the way for Him.: Therefore, O angel, prophet, apostle, warrior, Forerunner, baptizer, preacher and instructor of repentance: As the voice of the Light and Word, pray unceasingly for us who keep your memory with faith.

Seems pretty clear to me that the unborn Forerunner was indeed aware of what he was doing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:56:07 PM by LBK » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 11:04:46 PM »

Thanks!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »

Where does the Savior tell us this?

See Matthew 18:10.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 07:27:10 AM »

Quote from: Ps 8, 3
Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings hast Thou perfected praise
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:31:39 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 07:51:42 AM »

Is that how Protestants define "being filled with the Holy Spirit," a sort of case of possession?  God doesn't operate like Satan.

No one can say "Jesus is Lord" except by the Holy Spirit, whether an infant or an adult.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:52:46 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 07:57:55 AM »

Is that how Protestants define "being filled with the Holy Spirit," a sort of case of possession?
I've never seen it defined this way, just in maybe the case of baby Johh being like Balaam's Ass.

Of course, I'm almost nominal Protestant now. I've forgotten some of these things.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 08:05:44 AM »

Quote from: Ps 8, 3
Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings hast Thou perfected praise

This is also a persistent theme of the hymnography for the services for the Entry into Jerusalem, the Sunday before Pascha.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: