OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do Orthodox handle this passage?  (Read 759 times) Average Rating: 0
theo philosopher
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: August 01, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »

1 Corinthians 6:1-6

If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? 2 Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 4 Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church? 5 I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? 6 But instead, one brother takes another to court—and this in front of unbelievers! (taken from here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%206&version=NIV)

My brother has run into a situation where he may have to sue a fellow believer who he is close to in order to get some money back. Without that money he could find himself in a very bad situation. That aside...

How do the Orthodox interpret this passage? It seems that under the Protestant faith, there is no real way to go before any authority within the church. In such a case where there is a civil dispute between two Christians, would this be handled by the priests or possibly the Bishops, or do both stay out of it?

Essentially, how does the Orthodox Church interpret and enact this passage?

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »

If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? 2 Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 4 Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church? 5 I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? 6 But instead, one brother takes another to court—and this in front of unbelievers! (taken from here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%206&version=NIV)

My brother has run into a situation where he may have to sue a fellow believer who he is close to in order to get some money back. Without that money he could find himself in a very bad situation. That aside...

How do the Orthodox interpret this passage? It seems that under the Protestant faith, there is no real way to go before any authority within the church. In such a case where there is a civil dispute between two Christians, would this be handled by the priests or possibly the Bishops, or do both stay out of it?

Well, all Orthodox nations have courts, so it doesn't mean to abolish the judiciary.

So yeah, if it is a fellow believer, first see the priest to mediate.  But as Christ said, if the brother won't see reason, treat him like a publican.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

That is a good question.  I'm not sure about structurally or institutionally, but colloquially I understand that we should interpret this passage to explain that we should seek mediation by Church membership, but it the clergy, or perhaps some Elders experienced in similar matters, or at the least relying upon the mediation of our mutual friends or family from within the Church, as opposed to open litigation in the courts as a first step.  By the way, I think this is extremely relevant considering how many Orthodox Parishes litigate against each other and even take each other to courts, so this is not just for member to member issues, but even parish to parish, and of course also jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  After all, Christian arguments in Jerusalem at many times has been mediated not by Synods but the Sultans..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:08:42 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:43:37 PM »

The answers kind of surprised me. It would seem that with the Orthodox Church structure of having deacons, priests, and bishops that there would be a more organized setting for when two members have a civil disagreement.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »

The answers kind of surprised me. It would seem that with the Orthodox Church structure of having deacons, priests, and bishops that there would be a more organized setting for when two members have a civil disagreement.

In my observation and experience, the primary response in Orthodoxy is pastoral, based on individual circumstances and situations, doing what is best for the people involved, rather than legalistic or organized. The old saying, "I hate organized religion - that's why I'm Orthodox!" comes to mind.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »

I would first, if they have the same priest, go to him and ask him to hear both sides without the other person in the room.  Then, let him take the time he thinks necessary to think about the best solution (including asking more questions of either or both parties, and bringing them together if he feels he needs to speak to both at the same time to reach a decision).  Then they do what he says.  If they have different priests, I would say they agree upon a priest to take their dispute to.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags: lawsuits 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: