OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:23:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craziest things atheists/non-believers have said about the Christian faith.  (Read 7959 times) Average Rating: 0
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »

enemy attestation whom?

eyewitness acounts whom?

conversions to Christianity whom?

There's more evidence for him existing than not existing.

Forgive my sins.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »

proofs outside the Bible regarding Jesus ?

Quite a bit. Many of the Apocrypha mention him, often focusing on him.

If you're making the common secular demand for non-religious works that speak of him (I believe Josephus mentions him), you should realize that you're asking for, he was a religious figure and everything speaking of him is going to have that tinge.

It would be like asking for evidence of Octavius from non-political writings, or Julius Caesar from non-military-political sources. I doubt you'll find many non-religious sources that mention Mohammed either.

In fact for the first two of those very important historical figures, the amount of evidence for their existence is far less than for Christ (I have no idea about Mohammed, I'd assume about the same), so if you want to take the position that there is no acceptable evidence that Jesus ever lived, you must of necessity doubt the existence of every historical figure before 1500, and many after.
lost
Elder

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2011, 03:25:42 AM »

If you're making the common secular demand for non-religious works that speak of him (I believe Josephus mentions him), you should realize that you're asking for, he was a religious figure and everything speaking of him is going to have that tinge.

It would be like asking for evidence of Octavius from non-political writings, or Julius Caesar from non-military-political sources. I doubt you'll find many non-religious sources that mention Mohammed either.

In fact for the first two of those very important historical figures, the amount of evidence for their existence is far less than for Christ (I have no idea about Mohammed, I'd assume about the same), so if you want to take the position that there is no acceptable evidence that Jesus ever lived, you must of necessity doubt the existence of every historical figure before 1500, and many after.

religion won`t do... the most convincing evidences are the historical ones... Josephus won`t do eighter he was a christian.. impartial and neutral sources are that which are convincing...

Mohammed afaik has more historical validity than Jesus.He was an historic figure, involved in military campaigns.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2011, 03:40:26 AM »

Josephus was Jewish...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2011, 03:42:42 AM »

religion won`t do... the most convincing evidences are the historical ones... Josephus won`t do eighter he was a christian.. impartial and neutral sources are that which are convincing...

Here is a Wiki site which will get you started with investigating the historical evidence...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »

Here is a Wiki site which will get you started with investigating the historical evidence...

Father if I may add, certain saints like Jerome placed their own misguided pride over the judgment of the Church which in turn would cause a think tank like the Jesus Seminar to come. What I mean by this instead of looking to the LXX for the OT which was approved by the Church, Hebrews, etc to create the Vulgate he instead looked to the Jews of his day for assistance, like the Masoretic text.. So consequently because of his poor scholarship, it's as if the Church couldn't be trusted for one man's voice superseded that of the Church. And of course certain other figures were just adding more fuel to the fire to further create a schism between both western and eastern churches culminating to the Great Schism.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2011, 04:13:29 AM »

Have you considered that the New Testament is 27 separate documents that were only later accumulated into one text?

Because many odd people today consider "the Bible" to constitute a single ancient source.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:13:39 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »

Mohammed afaik has more historical validity than Jesus.He was an historic figure, involved in military campaigns.
Josephus was Jewish and is considered a trustworthy source for events of his own lifetime such as those of Jesus' life. Real historians don't discount an entire source because it's "religious."

As for secular sources, Tacitus and possibly Suetonius both mention Jesus. Lucian also. Hardly sympathetic sources. Also significant is the fact that no early sceptic (Trypho, Celsus, Porphyry, etc.) was using the argument that Jesus never existed, otherwise the Christian apologetic literature would certainly reflect a rebuttal.

Then there is the Jewish Talmud, a hostile source, which again contains a denigrating treatment of Jesus but not a denial of his existence.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »

Father if I may add, certain saints like Jerome placed their own misguided pride over the judgment of the Church which in turn would cause a think tank like the Jesus Seminar to come. What I mean by this instead of looking to the LXX for the OT which was approved by the Church, Hebrews, etc to create the Vulgate he instead looked to the Jews of his day for assistance, like the Masoretic text.. So consequently because of his poor scholarship, it's as if the Church couldn't be trusted for one man's voice superseded that of the Church. And of course certain other figures were just adding more fuel to the fire to further create a schism between both western and eastern churches culminating to the Great Schism.
That's going a little too far imo. Yes, the Masoretic (which comes centuries after St. Jerome, though I'm guessing you mean its text family) is inferior but it's not so terrible as to throw the entire Church into doubt.

And AFAIK the Jesus Seminar paid little attention to manuscripts, mostly relying on the RSV, which many Orthodox teachers use.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:49:26 AM by Volnutt » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »

enemy attestation whom?

eyewitness acounts whom?

conversions to Christianity whom?

You're not going to find much, because there wasn't much, until far too late afterwards...

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
lost
Elder

« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »

from your link : There are Greco-Roman pagan passages relevant to Christianity in the works of three major non-Christian writers of the late 1st and early 2nd centuries – Tacitus, Suetonius, and Pliny the Younger. However, these are generally references to early Christians rather than a historical Jesus. Tacitus, in his Annals written c. 115, mentions Christus, without many historical details (see also: Tacitus on Jesus). There is an obscure reference to a Jewish leader called "Chrestus" in Suetonius. (According to Suetonius, chapter 25, there occurred in Rome, during the reign of emperor Claudius (c. AD 50), "persistent disturbances ... at the instigation of Chrestus".[66][67] Mention in Acts of "After this, Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. There he met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all the Jews to leave Rome."

Charles Guignebert (Professor of the History Of Christianity at the Sorbonne), while rejecting the Jesus Myth theory and feeling that the Epistles of Paul were sufficient to prove the historical existence of Jesus, said "all the pagan and Jewish testimonies, so-called, afford us no information of any value about the life of Jesus, nor even any assurance that he ever lived.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2011, 03:27:57 PM »

There are not a whole bunch of historical forces for Jesus...if you throw out the Bible.  Now, for your homework, find some contemporary sources for Alexander the Great.  There are probably more sources about Jesus than there are for Alexander the Great if you accept sources written hundreds of years after the fact.

(And the only people who debate whether Alexander existed believe that Aliens built the pyramids, Atlantis was a real place, and wear their pants on their head...to hold the tinfoil in place.  I hold people who don't believe Jesus existed in about the same regard...)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:28:09 PM by vamrat » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »

There's more manuscripts of the NT than there are any other documents from antiquity.

If Christ never lived there would be no Church. Why would Jews be tortured and killed for something that was just a myth? And taken as a whole, Christianity must be the cruelest hoax ever invented if you subscribe that it was created.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »

And the only people who debate whether Alexander existed believe that Aliens built the pyramids...

They're space ships I tell ya!  Roll Eyes

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »

Why would Jews be tortured and killed for something that was just a myth?

People die for abstract ideas and concepts all the time. It's amazing how pliable people are.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »

Well yes, but why would the Jews have been outraged at other Jews believing in a symbolic person who was both God and man, and symbolically died and rose again.  At least, why would they be so outraged as to persecute the Christians?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »

Well yes, but why would the Jews have been outraged at other Jews believing in a symbolic person who was both God and man, and symbolically died and rose again.  At least, why would they be so outraged as to persecute the Christians?

It was blasphemy, and they weren't restricted by modern ideas of freedom and sensitivity and all that stuff.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »

It was blasphemy, and they weren't restricted by modern ideas of freedom and sensitivity and all that stuff.

Oh to be so unshackled!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »

Why would Jews be tortured and killed for something that was just a myth?

People die for abstract ideas and concepts all the time. It's amazing how pliable people are.
But realistically speaking would someone honestly be crucified, behaded, tortured, etc for just an abstract idea or concept? Wouldn't the very act of being exposed to being killed immediately put into question how much veracity is in the claim that Christ rose from the dead?

I'm trying to picture the hysteria whence upon seeing the Risen Christ.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »

Charles Guignebert (Professor of the History Of Christianity at the Sorbonne), while rejecting the Jesus Myth theory and feeling that the Epistles of Paul were sufficient to prove the historical existence of Jesus, said "all the pagan and Jewish testimonies, so-called, afford us no information of any value about the life of Jesus, nor even any assurance that he ever lived.
I think he's smoking crack, but even if he's right, why don't agree with him re: Paul?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2011, 10:02:44 PM »

Belief in a symbolic person was blasphemy?  Wouldn't it also, then, be blasphemy to think of Moses seeing the backside of God, given that God has no body?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »

Belief in a symbolic person was blasphemy?

Sure.

Wouldn't it also, then, be blasphemy to think of Moses seeing the backside of God, given that God has no body?

You'd think so, wouldn't ya? *shrugs* I can't explain people...

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2011, 03:11:34 AM »

It appears Asteriktos wants to avoid easy, unsatisfactory answers.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »

And if you are healed, then as St. John Chrysostom says (paraphrased) it is to suffer more for the Glory of God. To much is given, much is asked, and all that.

Do any of our Patristicians have the homily (or whatever) where this comes from?

I got curious as to what St. John was commenting on. It's one of the best things he said, IMO.

saint samuel

Faith: inquirer
Jurisdiction: planning to convert when  i go to college

« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »

"jesus killed people"

The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms Alexander Hamilton
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »

Atheists you say... I don't think I've met a real Atheist, seems like most people I meet who call themselves Atheist are in fact Anti-Theist.  laugh

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2014, 07:16:48 PM »

The conspiracy that Jesus the "Son of God" was influenced by the Aztec worship of the Sun--hence Sun/Son, and Jesus becoming the Sun/Son of God.

Ignoring the fact that the similarity between the words "Son" and "Sun" are purely coincidental and only apply in English and not in Hebrew or the native Aztec languages, I guess these people never learned in school that the West didn't even encounter the Aztecs until the 16th century, almost two millennium after Christianity had been established.

People need to stop listening to silly KRS-1 songs to get their information from.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »

"jesus killed people"

Jesus was Hitler.

No kidding.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:57:38 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »

Jesus and Muhammad were basically the same since Jesus said he came not to bring peace but to bring a sword, so you can't criticize Muhammad/Islam unless you criticize Jesus too.

(That was said by a Muslim who was trying to argue that Christianity is wrong and Islam is right. When Muhammad and Jesus are "basically the same", and of course Islam teaches that Jesus preached essentially Islamic doctrine anyway. Hmmm.)

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »

Jesus was a buddhist

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Avdima

Faith: In search of...
Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2014, 11:34:24 PM »

"The eucharist was originally a psychedelic mushroom and Christ is actually a mushroom god."

Vladimir Lenin was a mushroom too.

Lenin was a mushroom was a televised hoax by musician Sergey Kuryokhin and reporter Sergey Sholokhov. It was first broadcast on 17 May 1991 on Leningrad Television. The hoax had the form of an interview.

In the interview Kuryokhin was telling about his findings that Vladimir Lenin used to consume a lot of psychedelic mushrooms and eventually turned into a mushroom himself. This absurd idea wasn't presented all at once; instead there was a resemblance of logical chain of reasonings, facts and quotations from various sources. An aura of plausibility was created using manipulation of facts, pseudo-scientific style and loose storytelling.

The timing of the hoax played a large role in its success. It was shown on TV in the Glasnost period when many censorship barriers fell and there were many revelations and publication of previously concealed facts from USSR history, often with sensational flavor. Additionally, Soviet TV had been very official and prim before. As a result, approximately 11,250,000 audience members took the hoax seriously, even despite the totally absurd claims. According to S. Sholokhov himself, in response to inquiries about the truth of the claims, the person responsible for ideology in a Regional Committee of the Communist Party stated that they were false, as "a mammal can not be a plant."
Aquensis

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »

The conspiracy that Jesus the "Son of God" was influenced by the Aztec worship of the Sun--hence Sun/Son, and Jesus becoming the Sun/Son of God.

Ignoring the fact that the similarity between the words "Son" and "Sun" are purely coincidental and only apply in English and not in Hebrew or the native Aztec languages, I guess these people never learned in school that the West didn't even encounter the Aztecs until the 16th century, almost two millennium after Christianity had been established.

People need to stop listening to silly KRS-1 songs to get their information from.

You can also add the fact that the Aztecs didn't even exist 2000 years ago. Because you just know they're going to try and come up with some stuff about Aztecs sailing to the Levant.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

"The eucharist was originally a psychedelic mushroom and Christ is actually a mushroom god."

Vladimir Lenin was a mushroom too.

Lenin was a mushroom was a televised hoax by musician Sergey Kuryokhin and reporter Sergey Sholokhov. It was first broadcast on 17 May 1991 on Leningrad Television. The hoax had the form of an interview.

In the interview Kuryokhin was telling about his findings that Vladimir Lenin used to consume a lot of psychedelic mushrooms and eventually turned into a mushroom himself. This absurd idea wasn't presented all at once; instead there was a resemblance of logical chain of reasonings, facts and quotations from various sources. An aura of plausibility was created using manipulation of facts, pseudo-scientific style and loose storytelling.

The timing of the hoax played a large role in its success. It was shown on TV in the Glasnost period when many censorship barriers fell and there were many revelations and publication of previously concealed facts from USSR history, often with sensational flavor. Additionally, Soviet TV had been very official and prim before. As a result, approximately 11,250,000 audience members took the hoax seriously, even despite the totally absurd claims. According to S. Sholokhov himself, in response to inquiries about the truth of the claims, the person responsible for ideology in a Regional Committee of the Communist Party stated that they were false, as "a mammal can not be a plant."

Why haven't I heard about this before? This is fantastic. Reminds me of this film:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:21:22 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »

"jesus killed people"

Jesus was Hitler.

No kidding.

It was probably related to this weird joke.

It's probably offensive, so click at your own responsibility. I've warned you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:27:48 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: