OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:32:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should military service be mandatory?
Yes, for everyone physically and mentally able. - 4 (9.8%)
Yes, but only for men who are physically and mentally able. - 2 (4.9%)
Yes. Everyone. - 1 (2.4%)
Yes, but with exemptions fairly easy to obtain. - 1 (2.4%)
Maybe, it depends on the circumstances. - 8 (19.5%)
Probably not. - 4 (9.8%)
No. Just no. - 21 (51.2%)
What? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mandatory Military Service  (Read 1126 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 07:12:04 AM »

I voted probably not. I don't think most people in the US have the ethics/morality /discipline necessary to be in the military. The standards for enlistment would have to go down drastically if everyone was required to serve. Standards are low enough already.

The military is the place to learn discipline.

Nope. Military is the place for becoming a complete moron and breaking the rules. Everyone's mental age will decrease to the level of 12 years old.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »

I voted probably not. I don't think most people in the US have the ethics/morality /discipline necessary to be in the military. The standards for enlistment would have to go down drastically if everyone was required to serve. Standards are low enough already.

Nope. Military is the place for becoming a complete moron and breaking the rules. Everyone's mental age will decrease to the level of 12 years old.

Most Europeans I have met have had a similar opinion.  I kind of wish we could use our money for better education and healthcare and bring our M1A3s home and see how well the EU does when they have to put 15-20% of GDP toward enough Leopard 2s to keep from changing their signs over to Cyrillic/Arabic lettering.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »

You'd have mandatory military service too if you lived next to Russia. police

Russia has it too, I think.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »

That's only if you don't have executions for infractions or caning or something.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »

Should military service be mandatory? (no particular country assumed, so I guess just choose your own...)

No, as Christians we are supposed to love our enemies.   I could not fight for the military.

+1

It's such a simple concept really. But I guess some people like the challenge of camel swallowing.
How many camels have you swallowed, Gebre?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »

Should military service be mandatory? (no particular country assumed, so I guess just choose your own...)

No, as Christians we are supposed to love our enemies.   I could not fight for the military.

+1

It's such a simple concept really. But I guess some people like the challenge of camel swallowing.

Too many brother. Too many.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »

+1

Selam

Gebre gebre gebre gebre...guess what day it is?

[GULP]

And there was much rejoicing. 

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:43 AM »

Most Europeans I have met have had a similar opinion.  I kind of wish we could use our money for better education and healthcare and bring our M1A3s home and see how well the EU does when they have to put 15-20% of GDP toward enough Leopard 2s to keep from changing their signs over to Cyrillic/Arabic lettering.

That would be nice.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »

+1

Selam

[GULP]

Huh

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 12:40:30 PM »

+1

Selam

[GULP]

Huh

Selam

You know, the hump day camel?

If you don't know, consider yourself lucky.  I like camels, but that one is annoying. 

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »

+1

Selam

[GULP]

Huh

Selam

You know, the hump day camel?

If you don't know, consider yourself lucky.  I like camels, but that one is annoying. 

Ahh... got it. Good one.  Smiley

Selam

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »

That would be nice.

It would be, for all parties involved.  But do you really think most Euros would go for that?  

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »

That would be nice.

It would be, for all parties involved.  But do you really think most Euros would go for that? 

No. Unlikely. Most like to believe that this is the end of history and that the army has become obsolete. Perhaps you Americans should gently bomb cities like London, Paris and Amsterdam. You might save Europe that way by making people realise that we need to do something about our defence.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:52:09 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »

That would be nice.

It would be, for all parties involved.  But do you really think most Euros would go for that? 

No. Unlikely. Most like to believe that this is the end of history and that the army has become obsolete. Perhaps you Americans should gently bomb cities like London, Paris and Amsterdam. You might save Europe that way by making people realise that we need to do something about our defence.

Sorry, no can do.  I don't think your armies might do much against the Russians, or a comparably modern army such as India, China, Vietnam, or Cuba, but you still have more than we like to fight. Put some Iraqi sock puppets up and we'll smack them around all day until we lose interest, but put someone up with a bit of motivation and we have to make a big show of pulling out.  We don't have the cash for those games no more.

So you guys have to find your own invader.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »

A Christian can't be in the military in America.  It requires that all military swear an oath.   Jesus commanded us not to swear.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 09:18:09 PM »

A Christian can't be in the military in America.  It requires that all military swear an oath.   Jesus commanded us not to swear.

What if they render the oath in the form of a question and you just say yes or no?    Roll Eyes

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »

What if they render the oath in the form of a question and you just say yes or no?    Roll Eyes

hehe, it's either an oath or its not.  Like if they say "do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" and you say "yes", you took an oath.

In this case the military at least here in America they raise their right hand and recite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY3MlR-NWig
(Being fair as this is supposed to be a "pretty video" or inspiring)

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:27 PM »

hehe, it's either an oath or its not.  Like if they say "do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" and you say "yes", you took an oath.

In this case the military at least here in America they raise their right hand and recite.

What other things that Jesus said do you take so literally? 

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 11:46:49 PM »

Well, that's nice.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »

Well, that's nice.

It makes you wonder when OCNet was incorporated into the National Guard, doesn't it? 

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2014, 08:14:50 PM »

Well, that's nice.

It makes you wonder when OCNet was incorporated into the National Guard, doesn't it? 

Something like that...

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »

Well you know some of them already... not calling any man master for one.

But along with that,

Love your enemies.
Turn the other cheek.
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Man can not live on bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of god.
Before Abraham was born I AM.

I really take everything he says as literal.  Be there parable, I literally accept the parable as it applies in symbolism.  Such as the prodigal son being symbolic of repentance to our father in heaven.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »

But along with that,

Love your enemies.
Turn the other cheek.
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Man can not live on bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of god.

I really take everything he says as literal.  

But not "...on this Rock I will build my Church" or "If he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector" or "This is my body" or "Behold your mother" or "God is God of the living, not of the dead" or "He who believes and is baptised will be saved", and so on.  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:44:50 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

But along with that,

Love your enemies.
Turn the other cheek.

I really take everything he says as literal.  

But not "...on this Rock I will build my Church" or "If he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector" or "This is my body" or "Behold your mother" or "God is God of the living, not of the dead" or "He who believes and is baptised will be saved", and so on.  

Picky, picky, picky....
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: