OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 11:48:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another journalist killed by Islamic State  (Read 207 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: September 02, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29038217

Lord have mercy.  Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »

Lord, have mercy. Memory eternal.

Antiochian OC N.A.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »

I am curious about something as I see this tragic incident as well as the one with James Foley.  Why do they just go along and read the statement that has been given to them knowing full well they are about to have their head chopped off?  If I were them, I would just take off running until they were forced to shoot me or something. Or maybe just refuse to say what they are telling me to say. It just seems weird that they just kneel there, reciting the ISIS propaganda knowing full well that in 5 minutes their head is going to get sawed off.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »

I am curious about something as I see this tragic incident as well as the one with James Foley.  Why do they just go along and read the statement that has been given to them knowing full well they are about to have their head chopped off?  If I were them, I would just take off running until they were forced to shoot me or something. Or maybe just refuse to say what they are telling me to say. It just seems weird that they just kneel there, reciting the ISIS propaganda knowing full well that in 5 minutes their head is going to get sawed off.

Easy for you to say. They're probably too terrified.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »

I'm not saying I'm brave or anything. I think I'd be too terrified to read it. I guess to simplify: why doesn't fight or flight kick in?

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »

I am curious about something as I see this tragic incident as well as the one with James Foley.  Why do they just go along and read the statement that has been given to them knowing full well they are about to have their head chopped off?  If I were them, I would just take off running until they were forced to shoot me or something. Or maybe just refuse to say what they are telling me to say. It just seems weird that they just kneel there, reciting the ISIS propaganda knowing full well that in 5 minutes their head is going to get sawed off.

From a Syrian friend of mine (removed the Youtube link that was attached to the Arabic writing, since it was a graphic video; I don't know why you'd want to, but if you want to see it you can search for Youtube user "The True" who uploaded it on August 23rd):

رسالة من جندي سوري قبل استشهاده الى الجيش العربي السوري .. دولة الإسلام ( داعش ) والله لنمحيها ..‬‎ (Message from a Syrian solider to the Syrian Arab Army before his martyrdom by ISIS: "The Islamic State (Da'esh), by God we will erase it")

Her synopsis of the video: Before they killed them they told him to say “the Islamic state will remain” but rather he said the “Islamic state, wallah we are going to erase it”

Even if American journalists don't have the courage to stand up to these monsters (why would they? It's not their country that's at stake...yet), actual Syrians do. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that very commendable and even uplifting given the circumstances.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:00:53 PM by dzheremi » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »

What did Tri do after Shiny's slight offense in comparison to who what such sadists do to their prisoners. Yeah, I am not taking seriously any of his hypotheticals.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
kelly
Dissipation Nation
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »

What did Tri do after Shiny's slight offense in comparison to who what such sadists do to their prisoners. Yeah, I am not taking seriously any of his hypotheticals.

Really?

Tone 3

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly,
Hail, thou, oh full of good taste
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 06:01:07 PM »

I am curious about something as I see this tragic incident as well as the one with James Foley.  Why do they just go along and read the statement that has been given to them knowing full well they are about to have their head chopped off?  If I were them, I would just take off running until they were forced to shoot me or something. Or maybe just refuse to say what they are telling me to say. It just seems weird that they just kneel there, reciting the ISIS propaganda knowing full well that in 5 minutes their head is going to get sawed off.

From a Syrian friend of mine (removed the Youtube link that was attached to the Arabic writing, since it was a graphic video; I don't know why you'd want to, but if you want to see it you can search for Youtube user "The True" who uploaded it on August 23rd):

رسالة من جندي سوري قبل استشهاده الى الجيش العربي السوري .. دولة الإسلام ( داعش ) والله لنمحيها ..‬‎ (Message from a Syrian solider to the Syrian Arab Army before his martyrdom by ISIS: "The Islamic State (Da'esh), by God we will erase it")

Her synopsis of the video: Before they killed them they told him to say “the Islamic state will remain” but rather he said the “Islamic state, wallah we are going to erase it”

Even if American journalists don't have the courage to stand up to these monsters (why would they? It's not their country that's at stake...yet), actual Syrians do. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that very commendable and even uplifting given the circumstances.

The end of Braveheart rang a little hollow to me.

People are not defined nor should they be by how they behave under duress in their last moments of life.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »

Really?

If the monstrous experiences of others we don't know can be glibly used for fodder for idle chit chat and role playing games, I don't see how mentioning in passing the slightly embarrassing experiences of those we do to judge the hypothericals to be in any poorer taste, if anything it adds a little salt to discussion. Perhaps enough that people might stop from such gross speculation all together.

But I doubt it.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »

Really?

If the monstrous experiences of others we don't know can be glibly used for fodder for idle chit chat and role playing games, I don't see how mentioning in passing the slightly embarrassing experiences of those we do to judge the hypothericals to be in any poorer taste, if anything it adds a little salt to discussion. Perhaps enough that people might stop from such gross speculation all together.

But I doubt it.
Well, since you brought it up, let us examine it.  Through your view, I acted entirely consistent with my postulate above. When a situation arose that I deemed terrifying (or slightly embarassing, whichever), my fight or flight kicked in and I "fled" for a period of time. My other option was, as I believe I mentioned to in several posts to those who asked me about it, to fight back thereby escalating the situation.  Of course, the fact that you are somehow equivocating my situation with the beheadings of journalists seems to be far more glib and nonsensical than anything I could dream up, but whatever floats your boat.

And I'm still wondering when your coming to visit.  Wink

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »

I am curious about something as I see this tragic incident as well as the one with James Foley.  Why do they just go along and read the statement that has been given to them knowing full well they are about to have their head chopped off? 

Foley murder video 'may have been staged'
By Bill Gardner, The Telegraph

...a study of the four-minute 40-second clip, carried out by an international forensic science company which has worked for police forces across Britain, suggested camera trickery and slick post-production techniques appear to have been used.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/bill-gardner/11054488/Foley-murder-video-may-have-been-staged.html
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »

This is one of those instances where getting the grammar right makes all the difference. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »

This is one of those instances where getting the grammar right makes all the difference. 
laugh

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: