OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 11:52:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a EO jurisdiction to visit  (Read 695 times) Average Rating: 0
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« on: August 01, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »

If there is more than one church jurisisiction locally... what are some criteria one would use to decide which one to visit?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:56:55 PM by Dave in McKinney » Logged
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »

We chose the closest parish to our house and have been happy with the choice.

Mathe 24:36
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »

If there's more than one, praise God! Visit them all. Find a spiritual father who is a man of love and prayer. Find a congregation that is welcoming. If both are in the same place, praise God! If you find neither, praise God you at least have an Orthodox church and don't despair, God will provide what is needed for salvation.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »

I went to aN OCA parish for a while..almost two years but it was very unfriendly...I am now back at a GOA parish..very loving people and awonderful priest
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »

I went to aN OCA parish for a while..almost two years but it was very unfriendly...I am now back at a GOA parish..very loving people and awonderful priest

And it other location you will find the GOA parish unfriendly and the OCA parish friendly. The best thing to go is go to the parish that is closest and most convenient for you to attend. 

Joseph
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:13:04 PM »

"Dave in McKinney", as in McKinney, TX?

If so, there are two great parishes in your area: St Nicholas Orthodox Church in McKinney. It's under ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia), and uses the Old Calendar. I have a few friends there. I've never met Fr Seraphim Holland, but I've heard that he is absolutely wonderful; St Sava Orthodox Church in Allen, which is OCA (Orthodox Church in America). My wife and I attend that one (if you happen to visit that one, I can make sure I'm there to greet you). Fr Seraphim Hipsh is the priest there, and you'd be hard-pressed to meet a (parish) priest more loving and self-sacrificing as he is (I thought he was a monk when I first met him, until a few weeks later when I met his family).

Those are the two closest to you if you're in McKinney, TX. There are a few other ones in Dallas (Sts Constantine and Helen which is Antiochian, Holy Trinity which is Greek, and St Seraphim Cathedral which is OCA (Fr John at the Cathedral is also a wonderful priest)). Those are all in Dallas. But those two that are in/close to McKinney are both good choices.

***Edit***

BTW, both of those parishes' liturgies are in English (although St Nicholas may have a little bit of Russian here and there).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:35:44 PM by Knee V » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »

The one which speaks a language you can understand, it canonicity and distance (How I wish the OO, Syriac speaking church right around the corner from my house was actually EO, English speaking  Grin !).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »

As others have said, find a place where you can grow, work out your salvation with fear and trembling, etc... look at whatever makes that happen... priest, parishioners, their ministerial needs, size, language, available projects/groups/classes, variety/number of services, distance from home or work, etc.... whatever factors are important to you

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »

If there is more than one church jurisisiction locally... what are some criteria one would use to decide which one to visit?

Two criteria to start with: 1. Which is closest? 2. Which parishes have services in a language you understand?

Other stuff, like "Who is friendlier?" you won't be able to know until you actually go to a few.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »

"Dave in McKinney", as in McKinney, TX?

If so, there are two great parishes in your area: St Nicholas Orthodox Church in McKinney. It's under ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia), and uses the Old Calendar. I have a few friends there. I've never met Fr Seraphim Holland, but I've heard that he is absolutely wonderful; St Sava Orthodox Church in Allen, which is OCA (Orthodox Church in America). My wife and I attend that one (if you happen to visit that one, I can make sure I'm there to greet you). Fr Seraphim Hipsh is the priest there, and you'd be hard-pressed to meet a (parish) priest more loving and self-sacrificing as he is (I thought he was a monk when I first met him, until a few weeks later when I met his family).

Those are the two closest to you if you're in McKinney, TX. There are a few other ones in Dallas (Sts Constantine and Helen which is Antiochian, Holy Trinity which is Greek, and St Seraphim Cathedral which is OCA (Fr John at the Cathedral is also a wonderful priest)). Those are all in Dallas. But those two that are in/close to McKinney are both good choices.

***Edit***

BTW, both of those parishes' liturgies are in English (although St Nicholas may have a little bit of Russian here and there).

Thank you for the reply!
Wife & I have recently started attending St. Basil's Byz Catholic in Irving -- it is quite a haul from McKinney...lol.  Wife & I visited St Sava one time about 1.5 yrs ago just once -- I was making my way back to Catholicism from Methodism for 7 yrs or so.  Nice people but I couldn't get my wife to stay after or ever go again.  We eventually went back to RC church and have hopped a little bit.  Given the crazy fall schedule of the kids and my wife I doubt I'll be able to make it out to Irving every weekend so was either thinking about the UGCC in the Colony (and closer to McKinney) or attending vespers (Sat) or DL (on Sunday mornings) -- I'll probably be attending Mass on Sat or SUnday nights since one of my kids works Sunday morning... sorry for the rambling...
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:52 PM »

the UGCC in the Colony

That church is on one of my jogging routes. I met the priest at a wedding a couple years ago. He seemed like a very nice man!
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

the UGCC in the Colony

That church is on one of my jogging routes. I met the priest at a wedding a couple years ago. He seemed like a very nice man!

They actually have a new priest now and he seems nice -- only been there once.
The peoples parts of the DL are in Ukrainian.. I prefer 100% English liturgy...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:31:46 PM by Dave in McKinney » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: