OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:38:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: seond Epistle of peter  (Read 392 times) Average Rating: 0
mikeyseky

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« on: July 31, 2011, 04:32:56 AM »

why did the Church canonize second Epistle of Peter ??  is it written by peter or not ?
mikeyseky

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »

not a single answer ?
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »

I am sure it was canonized because the Church Fathers believed it contained the word of God, regardless of who actually wrote it.

If it was not written by Peter himself, perhaps it was someone who was authorized to write in Peter's name.  

Is there something in this particular epistle that you find objectionable?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:51:33 AM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »

Because it embodied the Orthodox Faith the Apostles preached.

We don't know who wrote Hebrews, and it was canonized.  Whether St. Peter wrote II Peter or not is not dispositive.  That the Church recognized it as the Apostles' preaching is.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »

not a single answer ?
Hi, mikeyseky. I see you're quite new here. Please remember that members who contribute to this forum live all around the world, with the largest number likely being somewhere in North America. I live in the Eastern Time Zone of North America. Your first message appeared at 4:32 am, the second at 8:10 am, and today is Sunday. Does this help you understand why you had to wait a few hours for a reply? You were probably home from Liturgy before any of us were even out of bed!

Please do keep asking questions - and helping us with some of ours from time to time as well. And be thankful that forum like this do exist to connect us with Orthodox Christian and friends from around the world.

mikeyseky

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:44:35 AM »

there is no way to know who is the Author ? i thin the So-called Epistle of Barnabas is orthodox in thought .. yet it is not canonical ... 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 03:57:47 AM »

there is no way to know who is the Author ? i thin the So-called Epistle of Barnabas is orthodox in thought .. yet it is not canonical ... 

God is not the author of 2nd Peter, but insofar as the text begins to give us a hint at that which is good and true, it is a work inspired by God. The early Church discerned that it would be good to include it in a select group of writings for the edification, education, and motivation of Christians, while they decided to exclude other works. It is enough.  Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: