OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 11:25:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transfiguration  (Read 587 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« on: July 30, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »

On the fifth, I am attending a vesperal liturgy for the Transfiguration.  I have a few questions.  Does anyone know how long these normally are (my priest was trained at St. Herman's, but the parish is Greek, if it makes a difference)?  Also, the schedule says "with blessing of grapes" and I have no idea whatsoever what that means.  Any help would be appreciated.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »

Normal Liturgy with additional 10 minutes for blessing the fruits.

Isn't that too early for Transfiguration?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:00:14 PM »

We're on the new calendar, so it's on time.

What exactly is the blessing of the fruit?  Do I bring fruit?  What kind of fruit?  I've never been to a Transfiguration liturgy.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »

You're going to a Greek parish that is doing a Vesperal Liturgy?  I'm sorry you won't be able to experience the full hymnography of the feast, which is one of my favorites and unfortunately, because it falls in the dead of summer, neglected.  The Vesperal Liturgies which are common in the Antiochian parishes but not too much in the other jurisdictions have Vespers through the hymn "Gladsome Light" and then proceed with the apolytikia for the feast which then starts the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.  The whole thing should be about an hour and a half. 

Grapes are traditionally blessed at the end of this Liturgy and distributed to the faithful present.  The reason is because Transfiguration falls in harvest time, so the fruit from the earth is blessed and sanctified.  It originates from the OT which the Apostles brought with them into the NT church. TO do this at Transfiguration makes logical sense as Christ transforms creation by His suffering and death (this event occurred 40 days prior to his Crucifixion and Resurrection), so the fruit of the earth is also affected by this mystery.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »

Thank you scamandrius.  Out of all the reading I've done on the Orthodox Church, very little of it has been on things such as the feasts and fasts, I've really neglected them.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:59:28 PM »

^You're welcome, James, but you're hardly alone in that respect.  Many Orthodox, convert and cradle alike, do not know much about the feasts or the fasts and the times when the feasts are explained, such as during the homilies of such feasts, too many Orthodox are at home and miss the significance.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: