OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:23:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Reading"  (Read 1436 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« on: July 06, 2004, 02:14:27 PM »

In my experience, when a particular prayer/prayers are to be "read", "Greek" churches tend to actually read (i.e., recite) prayers, while "Slavic" churches tend to plainchant those same prayers.  Is there any reason for this difference?  Does it make any difference?

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 02:37:42 PM »

In my experience, when a particular prayer/prayers are to be "read", "Greek" churches tend to actually read (i.e., recite) prayers, while "Slavic" churches tend to plainchant those same prayers.  Is there any reason for this difference?  Does it make any difference?      

I know a couple of Antiochian parishes where I've heard stichera (e.g. vepsers) read and also the Epistle.  I think it could be the result of many lay people participating that don't have decent voices, aren't in the choir, etc.  It could be just a non-Slavic thing.  It always sounds "weird" to me when something is only "read" other than the Our Father, The Creed, Prayer before Communion, Homily and maybe a couple of others.  I definitely prefer everything (exceptions excluded) at least plainchanted.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 02:49:08 PM »

I agree there, but everything should be chanted except for the communion prayer
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 04:50:16 PM »

i was born into a greek orthodox household, and when i went to church as a child, the lord's prayer and the creed were always "read" - not chanted or sung.  when i first went to an OCA parish during college, i was struck at the beauty of the sung lord's prayer and creed, and even the way the epistle and gospel are chanted in the slavic tradition.  a senior member of the parish explained to me that the slavs set these "readings" to music for aesthetic reasons..... i.e., to make them more beautiful.  i agree, i think it works.  now it seems strange if the lord's prayer and/or creed is simply recited (it seems boring!).  the only thing that seems "normal" to me now to be simply recited is the communion prayer ("I believe O Lord, and I confess......")

just my $0.02.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 05:53:03 PM »

I agree there, but everything should be chanted except for the communion prayer

Yeah, how I feel too - but I'm no perturbed  (maybe not the best choice of words) if those previously mentioned are "read".  Only if actual stichera, hymns, readings, etc. are "read" does it sound odd.
icxn
Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 06:43:34 PM »

An ascetic used to send his disciple in obedience to Karyes to sell his crafts. There in the Protaton the monk heard beautiful chanting. One day he said to his elder, “Geronda, I have been thinking. We here in the desert are not doing anything. You should see how they praise God there with chanting, choirs and so many other things. Here the only thing we are doing is praying ‘Lord have mercy’ with the prayer rope.”

The next day his elder said to him, “Let us go, my son, to see what those fathers are doing there so that we might learn their typikon.” When they entered the church he bent over and whispered in his ear, “Indeed, my son, here they praise GodGǪ”

He had not quite finished his sentence when a strong earthquake shook everything. Immediately the chanters put down the books, stopped the “terirems” and started praying with their prayer ropes “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us, the sinners.”

“Geronda, let us go; let us continue our work in our quiet environment in the hut,” said the disciple. “Whatever we are doing is above chanting music.” They realized that the best way to pray is with the prayer rope.

- An Athonite Gerontikon
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 07:12:15 PM »

Sorry dude, if your praxis is in error or somewhat lacking, you should be putting forth effort to correct it.  Sometimes it might just be ignorance.
icxn
Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 09:05:37 PM »

Sorry dude, if your praxis is in error or somewhat lacking, you should be putting forth effort to correct it.  Sometimes it might just be ignorance.

Forgive me ... I was out of context... Lips Sealed
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: