OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 03:19:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western-Rite Oriental Orthodox?  (Read 1767 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: I have it, but I don't live up to it
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« on: July 30, 2011, 12:37:57 PM »

Are there any Western-rite Oriental Orthodox? I really like some forms of the Western-rite liturgy, so I was wondering if any OO practiced the Western-rite.

I'm trying to avoid polemical posts until after Lent

Update, 4/9- Trying again...

Please pray for persecuted Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Palestine & Kosovo

God bless Egypt & Syria, we share the same pain
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »

Are there any Western-rite Oriental Orthodox? I really like some forms of the Western-rite liturgy, so I was wondering if any OO practiced the Western-rite.
Somewhere here we have a thread linked to a video of someone from the British Orthodox Church on the WRO (the BOC is under the Coptic Pope, but use the Syriac rite of Jerusalem).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
zekarja
High Elder

Faith: Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Melkite Greek Catholic Church

St Theodora of Alexandria, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »

Somewhere here we have a thread linked to a video of someone from the British Orthodox Church on the WRO (the BOC is under the Coptic Pope, but use the Syriac rite of Jerusalem).

Is this it?
Abba Seraphim of the British (Oriental) Orthodox Church on the EO Western Rite:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,27421.0.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:02:12 PM by zekarja » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »

Is this it?
Abba Seraphim of the British (Oriental) Orthodox Church on the EO Western Rite:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,27421.0.html
yes

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: I have it, but I don't live up to it
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »

Thank you guys. I'll check the video out when I come back from the library.

Peace,
Severian

I'm trying to avoid polemical posts until after Lent

Update, 4/9- Trying again...

Please pray for persecuted Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Palestine & Kosovo

God bless Egypt & Syria, we share the same pain
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 09:31:21 AM »

Peace,
Severian
Also if I remember correctly, the Brahmavar Diocese of the IOC used a modified Tridentine mass up until the 1980's. They were ex Latin rite catholics from Goa who converted to Orthodoxy under St. Julius Mar Alvares.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »

Peace,
Severian
Also if I remember correctly, the Brahmavar Diocese of the IOC used a modified Tridentine mass up until the 1980's. They were ex Latin rite catholics from Goa who converted to Orthodoxy under St. Julius Mar Alvares.

Why did they stop?

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »

Peace,
Severian

Why did they stop?

I'm not sure, but I think it was for liturgical unity, whatever that is...

In 1986 Very Rev Archimandrite Dr, N J Thomas was installed as the Vicar General of Brahmavar Orthodox community. The next two decades were considered to be the golden era of this community. He introduced the celebration of Eastern Syrian liturgy for all Sundays, earlier it was only celebrated once in a month. The liturgical services were held in the Latin Rite with its Konkini and Kannada translatons. Though many were hesitant to accept this change in the beginning, later the entire community accepted the beauty of the Eastern Liturgy and prayers.
Source: http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/articles/2009/12/holy-brahmavar/
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »

(the BOC is under the Coptic Pope, but use the Syriac rite of Jerusalem).

They use the Greek form of St. James' liturgy along with the daily services from the Coptic rite (Morning and evening raising of incense, etc.).
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »

I remember reading several years ago (or more?) that there was a Western Orthodox parish under the Ethiopians in New York City, but I've never been able to find out anything more about it (if it ever existed in the first place).

It's a pity about the Brahmavar's switch, though I'd heard it was more due to the inability of the Keralan priests to serve the Roman Rite properly.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »

Anyone have any idea what happened to the Western Rite practitioners received into the Communion of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church by H.E. Abune Yesehaq of blessed memory [referenced here: http://westernorthodox.blogspot.com/2006_01_08_archive.html]?  Are they still in the communion of the "Synod in Exile"?  If so, who is presently their bishop?  Or have they reverted to being vagante with Abune Yesehaq's repose?

How about the independent Catholics received into Communion by the Syriac Church [referenced here: http://www.scooch.org/2013/05/syriac-orthodox-church-receives-as-many-as-800000-new-converts-in-central-america/]?  Are they still using a Western Rite liturgy?  If so, which one?  Have they purged themselves of so-called "Charismatic Catholic" practices?

I'd like to learn more about both of these Western Rite Oriental Orthodox groups.  I'd love to contact the Western Rite EOTC, if anyone has their info.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »

How about the independent Catholics received into Communion by the Syriac Church [referenced here: http://www.scooch.org/2013/05/syriac-orthodox-church-receives-as-many-as-800000-new-converts-in-central-america/]?  Are they still using a Western Rite liturgy?  If so, which one?  Have they purged themselves of so-called "Charismatic Catholic" practices?

I think they're gradually being transitioned to the West Syrian Rite? Perhaps someone involved in the Syriac Orthodox Church would know...

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »

I think they're gradually being transitioned to the West Syrian Rite? Perhaps someone involved in the Syriac Orthodox Church would know...

Are they?  So they'll soon be Western Rite no longer then.  From what I've read, their former liturgy was based on the Novus Ordo Mass. Most Western Rite Orthodox aren't big fans of that service, right?  One thing's certainly for sure: their being weened off of so-called "charismatic" practice is not only a good thing, but a necessary thing.

Where did you hear that they're being transitioned to the West Syrian Rite?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:44:58 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2013/12/metropolitan-dioscoros-yuhanon-paves-historic-visit-to-independent-catholic-church-and-st-gregorious-community/

Is this what I think it is?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »

Depends: what do you think it is?

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »

Thread's topic.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »

I would attend Oriental and/or Coptic services if they were available.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 05:43:48 PM »

Thread's topic.

Basically, yes.  The community still exists, but it's been a long time since they used the Roman rite, as the clergy who knew it eventually died off without teaching others.  They use the Syriac rite now for the most part, but some Latin practices can be seen now and then during certain festivals and, I'm sure, in the homes.   

I don't know the story with this particular church.  The story says it was "rediscovered", but if there's a community there, I suppose it was never lost.  Probably the author is trying to emphasise that these communities are now getting the attention and care they should've had all along or something like that.     

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »

Thread's topic.

Basically, yes.  The community still exists, but it's been a long time since they used the Roman rite, as the clergy who knew it eventually died off without teaching others.  They use the Syriac rite now for the most part, but some Latin practices can be seen now and then during certain festivals and, I'm sure, in the homes.   

I don't know the story with this particular church.  The story says it was "rediscovered", but if there's a community there, I suppose it was never lost.  Probably the author is trying to emphasise that these communities are now getting the attention and care they should've had all along or something like that.     
Is this the same group who ordained René Vilatte, who led what was to be the first WRO parish in the New World in Fond-du-Lac WI (the first Orthodox parish there), but ended up with the OOs (before moving on, various strands of his followers ended up with the first bishop of Washington, Bp. Igantius Nichols, the first (and only) WRO bishop (though only briefly, before going vaganti), whose successor Fr. Alexander Turner led them back into Orthodoxy (the Antiochian WRO Vicarate)?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »

Is this the same group who ordained René Vilatte, who led what was to be the first WRO parish in the New World in Fond-du-Lac WI (the first Orthodox parish there), but ended up with the OOs (before moving on, various strands of his followers ended up with the first bishop of Washington, Bp. Igantius Nichols, the first (and only) WRO bishop (though only briefly, before going vaganti), whose successor Fr. Alexander Turner led them back into Orthodoxy (the Antiochian WRO Vicarate)?

In the sense that Vilatte was ordained by the Malankara Church, and this group belonged to it as well, yes.  But I'm not sure if Vilatte came out of this exact group, or if he came in separately.  I've presumed the latter: Vilatte was French IIRC, but this group is connected with the Portuguese colonies, and while Vilatte eventually went off radar, this group remained connected to the Orthodox Church despite spotty pastoral care on the part of the wider Church.  Fortunately, this seems to be improving. 

Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 03:14:22 PM »

I'd just like to bump this up to see if anyone has any new info on either of the groups referenced below:

Anyone have any idea what happened to the Western Rite practitioners received into the Communion of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church by H.E. Abune Yesehaq of blessed memory [referenced here: http://westernorthodox.blogspot.com/2006_01_08_archive.html]?  Are they still in the communion of the "Synod in Exile"?  If so, who is presently their bishop?  Or have they reverted to being vagante with Abune Yesehaq's repose?

I'd like to learn more about both of these Western Rite Oriental Orthodox groups.  I'd love to contact the Western Rite EOTC, if anyone has their info.

Tags: British Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: