OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:42:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti-virus AND spy sweeper?  (Read 536 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: July 29, 2011, 12:21:54 PM »

Do I want to download an anti virus and a spy sweeper?

Are these types of programs different?

would they conflict with each other?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »

Usually they're different programs. No one program team has all the answers. I have an antivirus, spyware remover and a firewall.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »

However, remember the more "protective" software you put on....the slower your machine will be.

MORE important than all the spyware and antivirus is stay away from IE!!!!  ....and off any sites you shouldn't be visiting...   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »

However, remember the more "protective" software you put on....the slower your machine will be.

MORE important than all the spyware and antivirus is stay away from IE!!!!  ....and off any sites you shouldn't be visiting...   Wink

will do  Grin

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:17:15 PM »

....and off any sites you shouldn't be visiting...   Wink

That's going to become the 21st century replacement of "you'll go blind!"  Just you wait and see.  Tongue

I will say though that I've had strange stuff happen on fairly "normal" sites like pic hosting sites. I would guess that at least 15% of the time I go to imageshack I get one of those "You may have been infected!" pop ups (not from my virus protection software).

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »

NEVER EVER click on those pop-ups.  Not even CANCEL!  Just click on the X in the upper right corner.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »

Besides A-V software, firewall, and anti-spyware apps I also use a script blocker. Sometimes it's a pain but seems well worth the effort to control what my browser is doing. It doesn't take too long to discover which scripts to allow on which sites.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »

Once a year, I get a good anti-virus program. It usually comes with anti-spyware capability. I've used a few different ones, but this year I have McAfee. It's pretty good, in my opinion. Most of the major brands are okay.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 05:18:49 PM »

Do I want to download an anti virus and a spy sweeper?

Are these types of programs different?

would they conflict with each other?

PC Magazine reviewed many 2011 programs back in January. Couple of findings were surprising to me:

1. Most any programs are in reality a suite of utilities that address everything that you are concerned about.
2. One free program is nearly on par with the best programs that you have to pay for.

Just go to http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp to check out the review.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: