OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:24:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanish cardinal recommends that Catholics receive Communion on the tongue  (Read 871 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: July 29, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »

The cardinal’s remarks came in response to a question on whether Catholics should receive Communion in the hand or on the tongue.

He recommended that Catholics “receive Communion on the tongue and while kneeling.”

Receiving Communion in this way, the cardinal continued, “is the sign of adoration that needs to be recovered. I think the entire Church needs to receive Communion while kneeling.”

“In fact,” he added, “if one receives while standing, a genuflection or profound bow should be made, and this is not happening.”

I think he means that Latin Rite Catholics should receive Communion while kneeling. Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »

The cardinal’s remarks came in response to a question on whether Catholics should receive Communion in the hand or on the tongue.

He recommended that Catholics “receive Communion on the tongue and while kneeling.”

Receiving Communion in this way, the cardinal continued, “is the sign of adoration that needs to be recovered. I think the entire Church needs to receive Communion while kneeling.”

“In fact,” he added, “if one receives while standing, a genuflection or profound bow should be made, and this is not happening.”

I think he means that Latin Rite Catholics should receive Communion while kneeling. Roll Eyes

Since he is a cardinal of the Latin Rite........... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Personally, I would agree with him.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »

And yet he's opining on what the "entire Church" should do. Roll Eyes Grin

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »

I understand, but no-one receives communion kneeling in the orthodox church, not even clergy receive communion kneeling.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »

He is entitled to opine, is he not?

And...what would be wrong with "the entire Church" receiving Communion while kneeling?  I've seen many Catholics and not a few Orthodox do just that.  I've done it myself, many times--even in the Orthodox Church, on bended knee, slightly contrary to what ilyazhito says.  And the cardinal was speaking as a Catholic to the Catholic Church, not presuming I believe, to tell the Orthodox how to receive Communion.

JM

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »

I used to take Communion by hand, but then I switched to the other way. I figured there were too many opportunities for something awful to happen, such as accidentally dropping it. A lot of parishes don't even use the paten anymore. I don't know, I like patens.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »

And...what would be wrong with "the entire Church" receiving Communion while kneeling?  I've seen many Catholics and not a few Orthodox do just that.  I've done it myself, many times--even in the Orthodox Church, on bended knee, slightly contrary to what ilyazhito says.  And the cardinal was speaking as a Catholic to the Catholic Church, not presuming I believe, to tell the Orthodox how to receive Communion.

JM
When did you commune kneeling in an Orthodox Church? I've never seen this happen as part of Russian tradition. Is this a local practice?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »

Was it at someone's chrismation, maybe?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »

And the cardinal was speaking as a Catholic to the Catholic Church, not presuming I believe, to tell the Orthodox how to receive Communion.

JM
But, I think he was inadvertently presuming to tell the Eastern Catholics that their tradition of Communion reception should be changed.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »

JM
When did you commune kneeling in an Orthodox Church? I've never seen this happen as part of Russian tradition. Is this a local practice?

The time before last when I received Communion in an Orthodox Church.  Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen  Wink.  More of a personal practice, that a "local practice".  I just feel that I should receive my Lord on at least bended knee, rather than casually walking up to Him and doing the "eat and run" thing.  Never heard a single objection from any priest,  either.  I don't do it every time, but actually feel somewhat "guilty" (probably for no good reason, really) when I don't.  My aging knees don't always bend so well, so I'm pretty sure He understands when I don't  Wink.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »

And the cardinal was speaking as a Catholic to the Catholic Church, not presuming I believe, to tell the Orthodox how to receive Communion.

JM
But, I think he was inadvertently presuming to tell the Eastern Catholics that their tradition of Communion reception should be changed.

What on earth makes you think that??  You, yourself said he was "opining", not presuming to instruct or command.  Aren't you being just a little paranoid here?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »

JM
You, yourself said he was "opining", not presuming to instruct or command. 
So you would agree that his opinion of what the "entire Church" should do, ignores what Eastern Catholics do?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »

Way back in the 1970s, the first Eparch for the Melkites in the USA, Archbishop Joseph Tawil, of blessed memory, warned the Catholic bishops that receiving Holy Communion in the hand would lessen the reverence Catholics have for the Eucharist.  Some sober-thinking Catholic bishops now agree with him.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »

Way back in the 1970s, the first Eparch for the Melkites in the USA, Archbishop Joseph Tawil, of blessed memory, warned the Catholic bishops that receiving Holy Communion in the hand would lessen the reverence Catholics have for the Eucharist.  Some sober-thinking Catholic bishops now agree with him.

What about kneeling? Is that done by Melkites or others?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

What about kneeling? Is that done by Melkites or others?

Melkites don't kneel on Sundays... they also receive Holy Communion standing.  The only time we kneel on Sunday is kneeling Vespers on Pentecost.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »

JM
So you would agree that his opinion of what the "entire Church" should do, ignores what Eastern Catholics do?

Maybe *I'm* being paranoid now  Grin, but why do I feel that however I answer that I'll be walking into a trap?

"Entire Church..."?  To *me* that includes all Catholic and all Orthodox Christians.  But that's just me.  To him....well, you'd better ask His Eminence directly.

The only thing that I "agree" to, and it is certainly not a life and death matter for anyone, Catholic or Orthodox, is that in my opinion (for whatever *that* is worth), all should kneel before Christ, if able, while receiving Him during Holy Communion.  Can't speak for the Cardinal.  Nor will I try.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »

JM

Maybe *I'm* being paranoid now  Grin, but why do I feel that however I answer that I'll be walking into a trap?

"Entire Church..."?  To *me* that includes all Catholic and all Orthodox Christians.  But that's just me.  To him....well, you'd better ask His Eminence directly.

The only thing that I "agree" to, and it is certainly not a life and death matter for anyone, Catholic or Orthodox, is that in my opinion (for whatever *that* is worth), all should kneel before Christ, if able, while receiving Him during Holy Communion.  Can't speak for the Cardinal.  Nor will I try.
Perhaps you are not aware that your opinion is contrary to Orthodox praxis and indeed to an ancient canon that forbids kneeling on Sunday.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »

JM

Perhaps you are not aware that your opinion is contrary to Orthodox praxis and indeed to an ancient canon that forbids kneeling on Sunday.

Oh, I'm aware of it alright.  My understanding (quite possibly incorrect) is that it refers to kneeling in prayer.  Does it forbid the bending of a knee to the ground while receiving Our Lord in Holy Communion?

Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »

Way back in the 1970s, the first Eparch for the Melkites in the USA, Archbishop Joseph Tawil, of blessed memory, warned the Catholic bishops that receiving Holy Communion in the hand would lessen the reverence Catholics have for the Eucharist.  Some sober-thinking Catholic bishops now agree with him.

One reason why many Traditional Latin Rite Catholics will go to the Eastern Catholic Liturgy if no Tridentine Mass is available (apart from the "pro vobis et pro multis" issue) is because it is impossible to receive Communion in the hand there, since it is given under both species. Wink
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:43:09 AM by Xenia1918 » Logged

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: