OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 04:43:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Terminal"  (Read 968 times) Average Rating: 0
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 05, 2004, 08:34:27 PM »

Just saw this movie today, and you can imagine my delight at seeing that Viktor Navorski (sp?), Tom Hanks' character, is Orthodox Christian. Grin He does the eastern sign of the cross before he eats at one point...and his (fictional) country of Krakozhia borders Russia, which to me is further proof that Krakozhia is meant to be a small Orthodox country. Viktor follows all the rules, will not break the law to gain his freedom, but will bend a few rules here and there where innocent lives will be affected. Smiley

The only HUGE complaint I have with the movie is the dumb (REALLY dumb!) love story the filmmakers attempted, that failed miserably. Catherine Zeta-Jones' character does NOTHING to further the plot, and the "love story" is just such bunk, and so ridiculous, it completely clouds the story of a man who leaves his homeland to fulfill a promise he made to someone very dear to him (I will not give any more away Wink), and all the lives he touches as he goes.

I am also curious about the language he speaks...I am pretty sure it is some form of Russian, because at one point he speaks to a Russian man, but I would be curious as to what they did to pure Russian (if there is such a thing Smiley) in order to make it "Krakozhian," if they did anything at all.

Overall, a good movie, but would be SO MUCH better if the whole Zeta-Jones plotline were CUT OUT. Smiley

If anyone else sees it, I would be interested in your opinions. Smiley

hmmmm...
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 07:33:49 PM »

Hanks, of course, is married to a Greek Orthodox, so that probably helped him to act the role more authentically.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 07:34:05 PM by Brendan03 » Logged

B
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 10:18:28 AM »

Hanks also from time to time shows up at a ROCOR church in LA... once or twice a year.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 11:50:03 AM »

So is Hanks Orthodox? Does anyone know? If his wife is (which I didn't know), did he convert to marry her?

hmmmm...
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 12:06:58 PM »

[So is Hanks Orthodox? Does anyone know? If his wife is (which I didn't know), did he convert to marry her? ]

Yes, yes, and yes.  Hanks wife is from a Greek mother and a Bulgarian father.  Both Orthodox.  Think they were married in the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in L.A.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 01:56:39 AM »

In the past several years, the "Orthodox Observer" reported that Rita Wilson is a Sunday School teacher for the St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angelas, California.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:00:00 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

Faith: Inquirer to Orthodoxy

O Holy Saint Grand Duchess Elizabeth, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 04:46:58 AM »

I quite liked the movie. But besides that, yes, he is a member of the Greek Orthodox church. Smiley

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Psalm 62:1 "Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation."
Psalm 59:9 "I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense."
John 11:35 "Jesus wept."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:55:16 AM »

The only HUGE complaint I have with the movie is the dumb (REALLY dumb!) love story the filmmakers attempted, that failed miserably. Catherine Zeta-Jones' character does NOTHING to further the plot,

...Overall, a good movie, but would be SO MUCH better if the whole Zeta-Jones plotline were CUT OUT. Smiley

Impossible! Catherine Zeta Jones always elevates a film. Always. And one of these days they will cast Catherine Zeta Jones, Marissa Tomei, Emmanuelle Chriqui, and Miranda Otto all in the same movie, and it will be the greatest movie ever made. Ever.  Grin

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: