OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:41:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Dostoevsky book?  (Read 2886 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: July 28, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »

I have to say the Brothers Karamazov. I believe it was everything Dostoevsky wanted to say in his lifetime about the human condition.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »

I don't know about best, but my favorite is Notes From Underground...  Cool
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:35:21 PM »

I don't know about best, but my favorite is Notes From Underground...  Cool
And why is that?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:59:12 PM »

It just sort of resonates with me? Woh, that sounds too new-agey!  Um... I can identify with it?  No, that's not it either. It speaks to my soul? I dunno...  Let me put it this way, of all the books that I've read, it's the only one that ever got an emotional reaction out of me, not so much because I was wrapped up in the character(s), but mostly because I was wrapped up in the unfolding of ideas and the expressions of what it means to exist for some. And perhaps I catch a glimpse of myself, the worst part of myself, in the underground man.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:01:33 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:43:17 AM »

I've only read The Brothers Karamazov, but now thanks to Asteriktos I think I'll check out Notes from Underground.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:43:51 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »

I'm not familiar with this work either, but Notes from (the) Underground is available as a free audio book here.
Phoenix73

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »

My favourite was Crime and punishment, over a decade since I read it . I wish a decent screen adaptation was possible.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »

Either Brothers Karamazov or The Idiot. Brothers Karamazov might have the upper hand because of Elder Zosima, and because The Idiot was a little too much like a soap opera, at times, regardless of its brilliance. My favorite Dostoyevsky character, however, is Porfiry Petrovich from Crime and Punishment. His conversations with Raskolnikov were a real treat.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »

Having read all Dostoyevsky translated into English and some multiple times by different translators I think that Brothers Karamazov is not only the best of his work but perhaps the best book outright I've ever read (surpassing my former favorites Tolstoy and Hugo).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »

I still haven't finished Crime and Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov. Think I'll pop on over to the library tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »

Having read all Dostoyevsky translated into English and some multiple times by different translators I think that Brothers Karamazov is not only the best of his work but perhaps the best book outright I've ever read (surpassing my former favorites Tolstoy and Hugo).

Which translation do you prefer? I like the Pevear and Volokhonsky one.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »

Brothers Karamazov, no question about it.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

Absolutely, they are the best (and I love their footnotes).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 07:27:53 PM »

While I loved The Brothers Karamazov, and many parts of it show Dostoevsky at his best, Crime and Punishment for me is far better as a start-to-finish novel. I read it while traveling and finishing it was almost like having a religious experience! That said, these are probably my two favorite novels of all time, so Brothers is absolutely worth the (extra) effort. I own everything else he has written, but have yet to make it all the way through any of the others... including The Idiot, which I've read about 1/3 of 4 or 5 times! One of these days...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:29:41 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 08:09:16 PM »

I see you like Tolstoy and Hugo. How do you rate P&V's translation of War and Peace, is that the best? And what's your favorite Hugo book?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 04:07:05 AM »

My sentiments exactly. Possibly the best work of fiction I've ever read.

Silly Stars
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »

i have C&P on my kindle, i think it was free
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »

I see you like Tolstoy and Hugo. How do you rate P&V's translation of War and Peace, is that the best? And what's your favorite Hugo book?

Chuckle...you assume I have read War and Peace more than once. Once was a labor of supreme effort reading it at one go over a seven day period.
Hugo: Toilers of the Sea

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 02:34:23 AM »

It just sort of resonates with me? Woh, that sounds too new-agey!  Um... I can identify with it?  No, that's not it either. It speaks to my soul? I dunno...  Let me put it this way, of all the books that I've read, it's the only one that ever got an emotional reaction out of me, not so much because I was wrapped up in the character(s), but mostly because I was wrapped up in the unfolding of ideas and the expressions of what it means to exist for some. And perhaps I catch a glimpse of myself, the worst part of myself, in the underground man.
I've got to agree with this. Few books do I ever get emotionally attached to, and this is the only one where I felt both sympathy and raw hatred, and they probably come from my own human identification with the character.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 02:35:27 AM »

I'm not familiar with this work either, but Notes from (the) Underground is available as a free audio book here.
Of note, the original books are all out of copyright, so if you read Russian you can get any for free, and I'm sure there are free translations around as well.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »

TBK, obvs  Wink

I can't imagine what would have followed it, had he been able to complete it into The Life of a Great Sinner, as originally intended.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »

I agree on both counts.  I would recommend Crime and Punishment first, just because its structure provides an better/easier introduction to Dostoevsky.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »

I agree on both counts.  I would recommend Crime and Punishment first, just because its structure provides an better/easier introduction to Dostoevsky.
Seconded. I would recommend reading as much Dostoevsky as you have designs on reading first, and then reading The Brothers. It makes the whole experience much more fulfilling...

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 01:07:24 AM »

I have to say the Brothers Karamazov. I believe it was everything Dostoevsky wanted to say in his lifetime about the human condition.
I thought I recall that he wrote that there were going to be two books or two volumes and the second would be by far the better of the two. But as far as I know, only the first book, Brothers Karamazov is available, and not the second.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:23 AM »

I thought I recall that he wrote that there were going to be two books or two volumes and the second would be by far the better of the two. But as far as I know, only the first book, Brothers Karamazov is available, and not the second.
2 or 3 volumes, entitled, all in all, The Life of a Great Sinner. He died shortly after writing TBK, and thus no other volume exists. You can visit the desk and room in which he wrote it, and where he also died, bible in his lap, they say, beneath his favorite icon of the Theotokos. I've been there too often.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »

Didn't Dostoevsky plan on writing "The Life of a Great Sinner" before "Demons"? He also had a book called "Atheism" in the works, but I don't know much about it. And wasn't the protoganist of "Great Sinner" later transformed and became Stavrogin?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »

I forgot to mention that Stinking Lizaveta scene can never escape from my memory. I never have been that horrified from such a descriptive scene, and I'd get more detailed but I don't want to spoil the plot.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »

Didn't Dostoevsky plan on writing "The Life of a Great Sinner" before "Demons"? He also had a book called "Atheism" in the works, but I don't know much about it. And wasn't the protoganist of "Great Sinner" later transformed and became Stavrogin?
From what I understand, TLOAGS was in the works, in theory, for years, and influenced Demons, The Idiot and TBK, but there were very tangible plans to actually write it, and continue TBK in some way in it.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »

A Gentle Creature

I can't believe I hadn't read this until recently. An excellent short story (~ 17,000 words).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:51:29 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: