OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 09:08:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pre-schism western saints (from Scotland)  (Read 841 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: July 28, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »

I have been doing research, and found that my ancestors came from Ayrshire, Scotland.  Are there any saints that come from this area, or around it?

It seems that everyone in Church celebrates a Slava, and they pick a saint reflecting their ancestry (they are converts, btw).  I'm looking for a saint to be the patron of the Hardin clan  Grin

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:36:23 PM »

Our very own Fr. Peter Farrington was working on something called "Saints and Holy People of the British Isles", maybe he can help you out.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »

I will ask him.  Thank you, Severian!!!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »

I will ask him.  Thank you, Severian!!!
No problem.  Smiley

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »

I have been doing research, and found that my ancestors came from Ayrshire, Scotland.  Are there any saints that come from this area, or around it?

It seems that everyone in Church celebrates a Slava, and they pick a saint reflecting their ancestry (they are converts, btw).  I'm looking for a saint to be the patron of the Hardin clan  Grin

St Evan (Inan) Aug 18
9th cent. A hermit in Ayrshire in Scotland, where churches are dedicated to him.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »

St Evan (Inan) Aug 18
9th cent. A hermit in Ayrshire in Scotland, where churches are dedicated to him.
Perfect!!!  Thanks so much!

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »

St Evan (Inan) Aug 18
Perfect!!!  Thanks so much!

If you email Fr Andrew over at Orthodox England ( http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk ), where I got this info, he may be able to point you to a more extensive hagiography. An icon would have to be a custom job, in all likelihood.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »

Thanks, I will e-mail him.

Fr. Anastasios shared this with me, and it's wonderful!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jc7AXvZCCko/S2HzD62YLCI/AAAAAAAAASM/rmktlJTZjAk/s1600-h/All-Saints-of-Scotland.jpg

I just wish I could  make it bigger (without distorting it) so I could mount it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:53:08 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:54:02 PM »

interesting website

http://www.oodegr.com/english/istorika/britain/British_saints.htm

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:29 PM »

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jc7AXvZCCko/S2HzD62YLCI/AAAAAAAAASM/rmktlJTZjAk/s1600-h/All-Saints-of-Scotland.jpg

I just wish I could  make it bigger (without distorting it) so I could mount it.

You could email the blogger and see if they have a different file, preferably in a raw format, which you could take and have a copy made, which could be rather large and look much better than a printed out jpeg.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:35 PM »

Offered for sale here
http://www.comeandseeicons.com/groups/drz19.htm
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »

Offered for sale here
http://www.comeandseeicons.com/groups/drz19.htm

wonderful!!!  Thanks so much!  I will order it.

I see that they also have many icons for sale you wouldn't see on other websites! 

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:10:24 PM »

Saint Ninian was the Apostle to the Southern Picts and had missionary activity in Ayrshire. Also Saint Colm Cille (or Columba) is important for all of Scotland.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »

Question:  Are Scots considered Germanic or Celtic?

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 01:41:34 AM »

Question:  Are Scots considered Germanic or Celtic?

Really... both. The "Scottish" identity came from Gaelic migrants from Ireland in the Roman era (which was also called Scotia at the time). Gaelic became predominate throughout Scotland (replacing the Brythonic language of the Picts, which would have been pretty similar) up till around the 1400's, and there was a Germanic presence in the South East (in addition to Norse settling all over the place and becoming Gaelicised). Up till then to be "Scottish" was to have a Gaelic identity, Scots were aware of and proud of their origins in Ireland.

About 15th century things started to change big time. The Germanic language spoken in Scotland, which was known as Inglis, became known as "Scots" (which used to refer to the Gaelic language) instead. Gaelic was now called Erse (Irish), and disparaged as "foreign." Gaelic, and the Gaelic identity, has spiralled out of use since then. To the point where in some historically Gaelic speaking areas you can find people with Gaelic names in town with Gaelic names who will assert Gaelic is foreign and they get grumpy when there are propositions to teach Gaelic and not Scots in schools.

So, Scots are a mixture of Gaelic and Germanic people. A Gaelic name, most of them only speak a Germanic language, and a culture which is a mix.

(Can you tell I used to want to go to college for Celtic Studies?)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:42:33 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »

Really... both. The "Scottish" identity came from Gaelic migrants from Ireland in the Roman era (which was also called Scotia at the time). Gaelic became predominate throughout Scotland (replacing the Brythonic language of the Picts, which would have been pretty similar) up till around the 1400's, and there was a Germanic presence in the South East (in addition to Norse settling all over the place and becoming Gaelicised). Up till then to be "Scottish" was to have a Gaelic identity, Scots were aware of and proud of their origins in Ireland.

About 15th century things started to change big time. The Germanic language spoken in Scotland, which was known as Inglis, became known as "Scots" (which used to refer to the Gaelic language) instead. Gaelic was now called Erse (Irish), and disparaged as "foreign." Gaelic, and the Gaelic identity, has spiralled out of use since then. To the point where in some historically Gaelic speaking areas you can find people with Gaelic names in town with Gaelic names who will assert Gaelic is foreign and they get grumpy when there are propositions to teach Gaelic and not Scots in schools.

So, Scots are a mixture of Gaelic and Germanic people. A Gaelic name, most of them only speak a Germanic language, and a culture which is a mix.

yes, I most certainly can  Wink  Is the surname "Hardin" Celtic or Germanic?

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »

Germanic, from northern England/Southern Scotland.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »

Germanic, from northern England/Southern Scotland.

how interesting!!!  Thanks so much! 

I've even found my surname in an Ayrshire surname database.  I'm becoming quite proud of my heritage!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 08:40:25 PM »

St. Donald is from Scotland. I think there's an icon of him at the 'Come and See' icons site.

Smiley

I wonder if you'll visit Scotland someday. I'm sure it's beautiful.   angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: