OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 12:20:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blessings before starting?  (Read 850 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: July 28, 2011, 05:47:07 AM »

In some time now I have tried to find orthodox material in danish and I think I have to face the fact that there are very little information on orthodox faith and dogma. Now in our parish we have a altar server(who is also a good friend of mine) who have made a website for teenager where you can find information about the church. This have inspired me to start thinking of creating a blog of my own. My basic thought is that it should include the lives of the saints, quotes from the holy fathers and something like that. But I am wondering if a blessing from a priest is required before starting such a project.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:02:01 AM »

Getting a blessing from your priest is an excellent idea.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:05:23 AM »

Please, no.

In Poland everyone wants to "have a blessing" for everything he sets that's somehow connected to the Orthodoxy. It ends in Priests messing into not their own businesses. Start it and then show it to him.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:35:56 AM »

I think the answer depends on the type of material.  If you will be posting lives of the saints and quotes of the Fathers, I see no reason to require a blessing (though I'd probably mention it to him, to get his opinion).  However, if you will be including your own interpretation of the Fathers, and claiming it as representative of the Church, I'd probably get his approval first.  If you include your interpretation but do not try and claim that you are the definitive expert on this part of the faith, I would probably not feel I have to have his approval first.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 06:40:40 AM »

I think the answer depends on the type of material.  If you will be posting lives of the saints and quotes of the Fathers, I see no reason to require a blessing (though I'd probably mention it to him, to get his opinion).  However, if you will be including your own interpretation of the Fathers, and claiming it as representative of the Church, I'd probably get his approval first.  If you include your interpretation but do not try and claim that you are the definitive expert on this part of the faith, I would probably not feel I have to have his approval first.
I don't think I will or should try to interpret  the Fathers since i don't think I have the experience nor the knowlegde to do so. But thanks for the advice. Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 07:20:03 AM »

However, if you will be including your own interpretation of the Fathers, and claiming it as representative of the Church, I'd probably get his approval first.  If you include your interpretation but do not try and claim that you are the definitive expert on this part of the faith, I would probably not feel I have to have his approval first.

I don't think it's that simple. Just by quoting a Father one gives a certain interpretation of Orthodoxy. Fathers disagree on various points and one can give fairly distort picture of Orthodoxy just by quoting certain Fathers a little out of context. I'm not saying that this is his intention or that this will end up that way but since he is fairly new to Orthodoxy I think it is a good idea to show that blog for someone who has been an Orthodox for a little longer time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:21:01 AM by Alpo » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »

That's a good point.  I hadn't been thinking about the fact that quoting the Fathers can in fact be an interpretation.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »

While Michal may be right about getting a blessing, I would at least tell him about it and ask for some advice and resources before you start.

forgive me, but you seem to understand the English language as well as someone born in an English-speaking country.  Couldn't you just read books printed in English?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »

While Michal may be right about getting a blessing, I would at least tell him about it and ask for some advice and resources before you start.

forgive me, but you seem to understand the English language as well as someone born in an English-speaking country.  Couldn't you just read books printed in English?
Yes I could but but getting orthodox books can be pretty difficult. Many orthodox sites who sell books don't cover Europe and often it gets very complicated. Besides my intention is not so much directed at myself but more on other people since there exist veru little information about orthodoxy in Denmark besides on our church website and some few published books. If somebody have only just discovered orthodoxy it can be pretty hard to get information(I have inquired into the orthodox church in a couple of years now and it took me a while to find many of the places I have gained my knowledge). My plan is basically to help those who have never heard about the church before.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:34:28 AM »

Yes I could but but getting orthodox books can be pretty difficult. Many orthodox sites who sell books don't cover Europe and often it gets very complicated. Besides my intention is not so much directed at myself but more on other people since there exist veru little information about orthodoxy in Denmark besides on our church website and some few published books. If somebody have only just discovered orthodoxy it can be pretty hard to get information(I have inquired into the orthodox church in a couple of years now and it took me a while to find many of the places I have gained my knowledge). My plan is basically to help those who have never heard about the church before.

That's a very noble thing to do.

If I were you, I might get someone else who has more knowledge about Orthodoxy in your Church to help you.  You can also interview your clergy.

I wish I could send you some books!  I would be happy to when I'm not on such a tight budget!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »

If I were you, I might get someone else who has more knowledge about Orthodoxy in your Church to help you.  You can also interview your clergy.

I wish I could send you some books!  I would be happy to when I'm not on such a tight budget!
Thank you. Actually I did mention this idea to the guy who mad ethe youth website and he seemed to be positive about the idea and since he already have some experience I think I am gonna ask him Smiley

-St Silouan the athonite
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »

Thank you. Actually I did mention this idea to the guy who mad ethe youth website and he seemed to be positive about the idea and since he already have some experience I think I am gonna ask him Smiley

Awesome.  I'll pray for you.  And don't forget to give us a link to your blog when it's up and running!

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »

I will  Smiley

-St Silouan the athonite
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 04:45:04 AM »

Maybe you could also email the OCA or some other Church and ask permission to post your own Danish translations of some of their articles.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:45:51 AM by Volnutt » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11:10 AM »

Maybe you could also email the OCA or some other Church and ask permission to post your own Danish translations of some of their articles.
I have actually thought about that myself. They have a pretty good section with the life of the saints.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: