OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:24:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converts: Praying for intercession through the saints and the Theotokos  (Read 7994 times) Average Rating: 0
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2012, 12:21:30 AM »

Thanks HandmaidenofGod, I was already okay with the idea that Saint's could help us, I just was stuggling with why would we ask them rather than simply ask God. I am now seeing that this is a function of the relationship we have with them.

I am new enough to this that I don't have a Patron Saint yet (hmmm...any Saints that like motorcyles?) but I'm developing something of a relationship with St. Nicholas of Myra due to the fact that someone gave me two icons of him, so I've got one in the icon corner at home and one in my office at work. I've been venerating him and asking for his prayers at least twice a day on average. I'm starting to see how I might just ask for help one of these times vs. just asking for prayers.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2012, 01:41:57 AM »

I am new enough to this that I don't have a Patron Saint yet
You could try St. Robert if Bob is indeed your given name.

(hmmm...any Saints that like motorcyles?) but I'm developing something of a relationship with St. Nicholas of Myra due to the fact that someone gave me two icons of him, so I've got one in the icon corner at home and one in my office at work. I've been venerating him and asking for his prayers at least twice a day on average. I'm starting to see how I might just ask for help one of these times vs. just asking for prayers.
Or this could work. ;-)

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2012, 02:08:15 AM »

Thanks for the link, Agabus, and for the rest of the affirmation too. Smiley

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2012, 02:13:47 AM »

There’s also Saint Rupert or Saint Robert on 27 March, 29 March and 25 September.

St. Rupert (Hrodbert, Robert, Rupprecht) of Salzburg, Bishop
---------------------------------------------------------
Died in Salzburg, Austria, on March 27, c. 710-720; feast day formerly
March 27; feast of the translation of his relics is kept
in Bavaria and Austria on September 25.

There have been varying opinions as to where Rupert was born and when
(with variations of 100 years). While more reliable sources make him a
Frankish nobleman, others, including Colgan insist he was an Irishman
with the Gaelic name Robertach

For more go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints/message/4151
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2012, 12:22:58 AM »

Thank you Father, another good suggestion. Though I suppose in the interest of covering all bases, I may have to starts a thread at some point asking if anyone knows of any Saints who may not share my name but do share even more of my interests. Those other than motorcycling that is, since i doubt there's many Saints into that. laugh

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2012, 05:47:34 AM »

A cloud of witnesses - alive.... loving you... wanting to help you.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2012, 10:02:52 PM »

I'm a Protestant convert, I recently converted into Orthodoxy from Protestantism about eight months ago, I'm a catechumen right now. Hmm, I honestly never really had any trouble when it came to venerating the icons or asking for the intercession of the Saints. In fact, I even started asking for intercession as a Protestant a few months before I officially converted to Orthodoxy. I remember I used to ask CS Lewis to pray for me, lol. When I first started asking for intercessions through the icons at my Parish I honestly had no idea why we were doing it or why it was right, but I still went along with it because I felt in my heart that it was correct, even since my last few months as Protestant.

I trusted the Orthodox Church about many things, in fact, when I first came to Orthodoxy about eight months ago I did not know anything really about our faith but I still participated in everything because I trusted the Church. Perhaps the biggest theological factor that led to my conversion was when our Savior said that He would never allow the gates of Hades to prevail against His true Church. And I figured that the Eastern Orthodox Church was the true Church because it is the oldest so I took everything on trust while converting.

I did not start to read the literature and learn our beliefs until a few weeks after startng my catechism. It is a gradual process but I trust everything in our Church and I am slowly learning it. I am choosing St. Augustine of Hippo as my Patron since he is my favorite and I feel I have the most similarities and a special connection with him compared to the other Saints.

My advice to you: You seem like you have no problem asking for intercessions, but you are just worried that you are not worthy to venerate an icon and ask for intercession. That is noble and all, but you need to realize that the more unworthy you are, the more you need intercession. And no one but God alone is going to be the sole judge. St. John Chrysostom said himself that neither the santified or unrighteous are permitted by God to judge others. Do you really want God to help you through your problems and spiritual state? Then you need to ask for intercessions so that He will help you.

Also, by the way, hope this is not too personal, but what age are you? I'm curious about the age of converts to Orthodoxy. I'm fifteen and I just converted.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2012, 01:04:40 AM »

James, thank you for your story. Don't know if your asking me about age since I'm not the OP, but since I've been pretty active on this end of the thread, and don't mind sharing my age, I'm 46, I think. (Is the memory the first thing that starts to go?)  laugh  My hats off to you for converting at 15, especially if your family is not joining you.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2012, 02:40:40 AM »

James, thank you for your story. Don't know if your asking me about age since I'm not the OP, but since I've been pretty active on this end of the thread, and don't mind sharing my age, I'm 46, I think. (Is the memory the first thing that starts to go?)  laugh  My hats off to you for converting at 15, especially if your family is not joining you.

I was talking to the OP but thanks anyway Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags: Praying to the Saints 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: