OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:40:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Georgian tradition  (Read 2083 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: July 27, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »

Has the Georgian church always been a Byzantine church or did it adopt Byzantine tradition at some point of her history? It seems to have a little different traditions of chant and architecture so I wonder whether her has had her own liturgical etc. traditions as well.

Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »

Has the Georgian church always been a Byzantine church or did it adopt Byzantine tradition at some point of her history? It seems to have a little different traditions of chant and architecture so I wonder whether her has had her own liturgical etc. traditions as well.

According to Britannica Encyclopedia, Georgia remained under the influence of neighbouring Armenia (the Armenian Apostolic Church) and in the ecclesiastical sphere of the Apostolic See of Antioch[2]. The Georgian Orthodox Church became autocephalous (independent), granted by the Eastern Roman emperor Zeno (474–491) with the consent of the patriarch of Antioch, Peter the Fuller. In 466 when the Patriarchate of Antioch elevated the Bishop of Mtskheta to the rank of Catholicos of Kartli. The total independence from the Armenian Apostolic Church was reached in the 7th century after which it joined the Eastern Orthodoxy and has become part of the wider Eastern Orthodox Church[1] and was historically influenced by the church of the Byzantine Empire. In 1010, the Catholicos of Kartli was elevated to the honor of Patriarch. From then on, the premier hierarch of the Georgian Orthodox Church carried the official title of Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_Orthodox_Church

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »

If you look at the ancient map of Georgia

you see that Iberia/Kartli was outside the Empire of the Romans (and within the orbit of Armenian and Iran), while Lazica was within (providing the ancestors of a number of Emperors of the Romans). So there has always been influence from Constantinople in what is now Georgia, but not always across all of what is now Georgia.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 02:45:56 PM »

Georgia began in the Roman sphere of influence, tarried in the Armenian/Persian sphere for one or two hundred years between King St. Vakhtang Gorgasali and Catholicos Patriarch St. Kirion, and was also bounced between Rome and Persia for awhile, became independent, fell to the Mongols, and then was caught between the Turks and the Persians.

The Georgian Church was begun by people from Constantinople, Jerusalem and Antioch, and even has Apostolic origins through Sts. Andrew and Simeon.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »

I should clarify Western and Eastern Georgia. Western Georgia was traditionally in the Greco-Roman world, and Eastern Georgia in the Persian world.

Some Armenian historians claim that St. Nino sent Georgians to St. Gregory the Illuminator for ordination, but this is not corroborated by contemporary sources, and the timeline is unlikely.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »

The Georgian church actually has polyphonic chant. Seems to be adopted from Russia in the 19th century.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »

The Georgian church actually has polyphonic chant. Seems to be adopted from Russia in the 19th century.

No. Georgian polyphony is not at all like Russian polyphony, and is actually very old and related to Georgian folk music.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 07:15:57 PM »

I just came across this, Eastward bound: travel and travellers, 1050-1550 By Rosamund Allen:
The Georgians, for example, are distinguishable from Greeks for using unleavened bread in the Eucharist, like Latins, but are like Greeks in not elevating the host.
http://books.google.com/books?id=LsqfhL6U1ykC&pg=PA95&dq=%22The+Georgians,+for+example,+are+distinguishable+from+Greeks%22&hl=en&ei=S-A1TvD4Gue1sQKJkqzrCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22The%20Georgians%2C%20for%20example%2C%20are%20distinguishable%20from%20Greeks%22&f=false
Interesting, as the Armenians are the only ones to use unleavened bread.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 03:31:58 AM »

*Who used to use.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWrWVcD8Qw

I imagine it sounds pretty alien to Russian ears as to the rest of us

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »

interesting, the greeks and georgians don't elevate the host?
the copts (and i assume the syrians, as we borrowed lots of rites from each other) do elevate the consecrated bread right at the beginning of the consecration and before the prayer of the descent of the Holy Spirit.
Tags: Georgian Church azymes 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: