OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:36:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Nations...  (Read 999 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 27, 2011, 11:39:09 AM »

Just made this little image showing the flags and coat of arms of the various Orthodox nations, both EO and OO. I included Macedonia with the EO, even though it is considered schismatic. I also included Ukraine even though some people are a part of the "schismatic" group...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:48:11 AM »

Just made this little image showing the flags and coat of arms of the various Orthodox nations, both EO and OO. I included Macedonia with the EO, even though it is considered schismatic. I also included Ukraine even though some people are a part of the "schismatic" group...
You include Armenia and Ethiopia, so why not Macedonia (the Archbishopric of Ohrid is canonical, just persecuted), and there are plenty of canonical Orthodox in Ukraine (and I believe and pray that with the passing of "patriarch" Filoret that will cease).

Btw, you should include Finland: it has an Orthodox state Church. And Estonia, the Orthodox form the plurality, and it produced a Patriarch (Alexei II of blessed memory).

Where's Bulgaria?

Where is Montenegro?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:52:11 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »

Montenegro should be up there as well.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »

I didn't notice that... (I did this back in March)
I'll fix that! Smiley

Also, Finland and Estonia aren't majority Orthodox.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:59:15 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »

You include Armenia and Ethiopia, so why not Macedonia (the Archbishopric of Ohrid is canonical, just persecuted), and there are plenty of canonical Orthodox in Ukraine (and I believe and pray that with the passing of "patriarch" Filoret that will cease).

Btw, you should include Finland: it has an Orthodox state Church. And Estonia, the Orthodox form the plurality, and it produced a Patriarch (Alexei II of blessed memory).

Where's Bulgaria?

Where is Montenegro?

In that case, can we include Syria and Egypt? I think Lebanon should be on there just because the deputy prime minister is always Orthodox. I may be living in a fantasy world with that, though.

EDIT: Just saw the latest post. Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:01:36 PM by John Ward » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »

The qualification for the countries being included is that they have to be majority Orthodox.

EDIT: lol, just saw your edit, no problem! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:02:38 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »

Change the flag and Crest of Belarus from the Stalinist ones to the national ones.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:05:54 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »

Where's Bulgaria?

Where is Montenegro?

In that case, can we include Syria and Egypt? I think Lebanon should be on there just because the deputy prime minister is always Orthodox. I may be living in a fantasy world with that, though.

I was thinking about Lebanon as well, for the reason you state, and the status of Orthodoxy in the Lebanese national pact.

On a similar basis, Bosnia and Herzogovina or at least its constituent nation Republika Srpska should be included.

Btw, I notice that the Serb nations have crowns on their flags and arms, but they haven't called the King back.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »

Change the flag and Crest of Belarus from the Stalinist ones to the national ones.

I don't think those are in use anymore, the flag/symbol shown are the current ones.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »

Where's Bulgaria?

Where is Montenegro?

I was thinking about Lebanon as well, for the reason you state, and the status of Orthodoxy in the Lebanese national pact.

On a similar basis, Bosnia and Herzogovina or at least its constituent nation Republika Srpska should be included.

Btw, I notice that the Serb nations have crowns on their flags and arms, but they haven't called the King back.

Bosnia and Herzegovina is majority Muslim, same for Lebanon.
John Ward

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »

Where's Bulgaria?

Where is Montenegro?

As for Lebanon, if all the Lebanese citizens in the diaspora (both those born in Lebanon and the children who have been registered and are legally Lebanese citizens) were to go home, it would be overwhelmingly Christian.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:19:17 PM by John Ward » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »

I don't think those are in use anymore, the flag/symbol shown are the current ones.

So you contradict yourself
Just made this little image showing the flags and coat of arms of the various Orthodox nations, both EO and OO.

Because in the case of Belarus these are the symbols of the state, not nation.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:21:21 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »

So you contradict yourself
Just made this little image showing the flags and coat of arms of the various Orthodox nations, both EO and OO.

Because in the case of Belarus these are the symbols of the state, not nation.

huh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus

The flag shown is the national flag, and the emblem shown is the national emblem. The Pahonia hasn't been used since 1995, and the flag you show also hasn't been used since 1995.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »

Where's Bulgaria?

Where is Montenegro?

As for Lebanon, if all the Lebanese citizens in the diaspora (both those born in Lebanon and the children who have been registered and are legally Lebanese citizens) were to go home, it would be overwhelmingly Christian.

They aren't in Lebanon though, and even if they did, it still wouldn't be majority Orthodox.
John Ward

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »

They aren't in Lebanon though, and even if they did, it still wouldn't be majority Orthodox.

That's why I said "if" Wink

I wasn't claiming that the majority would be Orthodox, only that the majority of Lebanese (all Lebanese, not just those living there) are Christians, Not Muslims.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »

huh?

The flag shown is the national flag, and the emblem shown is the national emblem. The Pahonia hasn't been used since 1995, and the flag you show also hasn't been used since 1995.

nation: a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own: The president spoke to the nation about the new tax.

state: a sovereign political power or community

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Red-green flag and the Cabbage crest are the state symbols of Belarus, not the national ones. The state imposed them against the will of the nation so they can't be called 'national'.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »

Where's Bulgaria?

Where is Montenegro?

No, BH is not.  It never was a majority, just the largest community.  The majority is Christian, but divided.  Ditto Lebanon (much of the population living outside of Lebanon ever since the days of the Phoenicians).  There is a question, btw, on the numbers in both Eritrea and Ethiopia, and in the former Soviet block (most being non-religious, the Church hasn't caught up with culture, yet).

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »

Where's Bulgaria?

Where is Montenegro?

No, BH is not.  It never was a majority, just the largest community.  The majority is Christian, but divided.  Ditto Lebanon (much of the population living outside of Lebanon ever since the days of the Phoenicians).  There is a question, btw, on the numbers in both Eritrea and Ethiopia, and in the former Soviet block (most being non-religious, the Church hasn't caught up with culture, yet).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Bosnia_and_Herzegovin
According to the above, Islam is at 48% with Christianity at 47%, however the chart on that page shows Islam at 45% and Christianity at 51%.

huh?

nation: a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own: The president spoke to the nation about the new tax.

state: a sovereign political power or community

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Red-green flag and the Cabbage crest are the state symbols of Belarus, not the national ones. The state imposed them against the will of the nation so they can't be called 'national'.
The way I understand nation vs. state, is I regard them as the same thing, at least when it comes to flags/crests. If that is what the government chose, even if its against the will of the people, then that is what the flag & crest officially is. (though I'd prefer a less Soviet/Communist one, I can't change the fact those are the sanctioned/approved symbols)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:39:22 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »

I like flags and heraldry. Nice post.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 08:48:23 PM »

The edited version:
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

The Pahonia hasn't been used since 1995, and the flag you show also hasn't been used since 1995.
Maybe not used by the regime, but definitely widely used by the people.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »

The Pahonia hasn't been used since 1995, and the flag you show also hasn't been used since 1995.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:36:25 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »

I love it when people cite Wikipedia as if it were an accurate, reliable source and not a site edited by self-proclaimed experts.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Byron
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »

I too vastly prefer the white-red-white Belarus flag preferably with the Pahonya crest in the middle. The current one is a horrible communist carry over. Once Lukashenko falls no doubt Belarus will revert to its true national symbols.

Two other flags that should have never been changed:

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »

Thank you for all the great heraldry!

But... Flags and national coats of arms represents states. I think it is a fallacy to consider states Orthodox. Lands and peoples can be called Orthodox, if the majority of the population is Orthodox, but to call a state orthodox it would have to have a government that only ever makes "Orthodox" decisions and "Orthodox" laws. Is there such a place? Has there ever been? ...yeah, mount athos comes to mind, but other than that?  laugh

Perhaps the OP means for the display of flags and coats of arms represent the Orthodox peoples, but it is not really a correct way of using these symbols. Smiley Sorry OP, just trying to help.  police
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: